Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1228 Posts

·
Banned
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The "What do you REALLY do?" thread....

I got to thinking about it, and wondered what some of the folks on here do in the spare time they have away from their TBs and Envoys (aka their Day Jobs)... might be interesting to find out.

Personally, I'm a plethora of things. Full time college student studying telecommunications and information management, part time computer/technical consultant-for-hire, Auto Detailer, a part-time writing consultant at my college, and last but not least a jazz musician (I play alto/tenor in a group at Michigan State University).

Don't even ask me about having free time. :rolleyes: Somehow I manage. It helps that my workloads are easy to keep up with; I'm never TOO busy on any one thing.

How about y'all?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'm only 19 and YES, I'm paying for my truck on my own. ;)

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
5,307 Posts
I work for Florida's Turnpike Enterprise, I get to watch all of the traffic cameras, put messages on all of the overhead signs on the highway, and other stuff with some of the coolest technology. Thats it, work and sleep, ya know... to pay off my new toy!! :D

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
5,307 Posts
EnvoyGuy.... I can't help but wonder how you have time to do anything else in your day, with all of the knowledge you've dumped into this forum, and the fact that hardly three seconds go by before you have replied to new posts with your valuable input!! (This is a compliment, not an insult :m2: )

The staff and users are lucky to have ya, but how the he** do you have time to do all of that stuff in your day and somehow also seem to always be online here?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,311 Posts
Well i was a corrections officer for about 2yrs, i messed up my knee and i stoped doing it, now i work at a plumbing dist center, selling all types of plumbing parts, and i also do some security work PT, for some extra money, i dont do anything but armed and i make pretty good money when i do it. :)

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
528 Posts
Wow, some of you all have cool jobs, i live in sanford florida so i get to read the road signs that you put up, but to pay for my new toy i am store manager for chili's, that usually takes up most of my time, but to relax i play alot of golf,

Shay

·
Banned
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jman423 said:
EnvoyGuy.... I can't help but wonder how you have time to do anything else in your day, with all of the knowledge you've dumped into this forum, and the fact that hardly three seconds go by before you have replied to new posts with your valuable input!! (This is a compliment, not an insult :m2: )

The staff and users are lucky to have ya, but how the he** do you have time to do all of that stuff in your day and somehow also seem to always be online here?
Well, thank you for the compliment, first of all. The key of it comes down to what my jobs entail. When I'm detailing, obviously I can't be online here, but as luck would have it I do that work during times that tend to be 'off-peak' on this forum.

When I'm doing the technical consulting it's usually just taking calls from folks who need me to troubleshoot a problem they're having. With that I can just put it on speakerphone and continue with other tasks while helping them.

Same goes for my writing consultant job... the appointments, and way that is structured, leaves me lots of downtime to do homework and hop on the web. Hence when I come home from being in class and at work, I've had time to finish up any homework I had and can just relax a bit.

Of course it helps that I'm done with any 'prerequisite' classes, and just have field-related courses now. For whatever reason, I've always been able to pick up knowledge about technical stuff really quickly. Facts and figures just seem to stick with me. :)

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
76 Posts
Hi,

I live in Altamonte Springs, FL, and just bought my Envoy EXT 5.3 to cart the (expanding) family around in. I'm 38 and originally from Wales, UK (been here 18 yrs now) and am a one man business doing woodwork restoration for classic Brit cars...www.britishautowood.com

·
Banned
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Taff67 said:
Hi,

I live in Altamonte Springs, FL, and just bought my Envoy EXT 5.3 to cart the (expanding) family around in. I'm 38 and originally from Wales, UK (been here 18 yrs now) and am a one man business doing woodwork restoration for classic Brit cars...www.britishautowood.com
Oh wow... that's some awesome work. Do you mostly just restore/refinish original pieces, or more making replacements? :cool:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
474 Posts
im almost 18 and i work at a grocery store :rolleyes:
oh well it pays for my baby :D

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
76 Posts
02EnvoySLE Guy said:
Oh wow... that's some awesome work. Do you mostly just restore/refinish original pieces, or more making replacements? :cool:
Thanks!
I mostly do restoration of customers original parts, but do make some console/dash panels, steering wheels and the shifter knobs. If someone wants all new, most of the time I'll buy the unveneered base wood parts from somewhere else, or get them laser cut and then veneer/lacquer them here :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm from DFW, TX and I got out of the Navy less than a year ago, after serving for 5 years. Now, I work on Full-Flight Simulators to pay for my ride. I'm also a full-time student working on completing my Electrical Engineering degree.

·
Banned
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jdits7 said:
I am a design engineer at Monroe Truck Equipment. http://www.monroetruck.com

We are the ones that originated the huge pickup, the Kodiak/Topkick Pickup
http://www.monroetruck.com/KodiakPU.asp
:cool: so do they let you take one of those home on weekends so you can throw a tailgate party in style?? :laugh: I've always thought those and the big Ford F650 haulers would be a great toy for that purpose....

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
425 Posts
I'm from CA and I work for a Computer Distribution Parts company (Sylicon Valley) in the Customer Service Dept. that pays my TB.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
113 Posts
No, we never get to take them out for parties or anything like that. But we have had people take them out for use for weddings instead of a limo. Looks pretty wierd being at a wedding though.

·
Banned
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
texas arsenal said:
I deal with the damn customer.
I hear the sentiment loud and clear. Dealing with customers/end-users is a ROYAL PAIN when they usually don't know what they want. Trying to decipher is quite the challenge.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
477 Posts
Warranty administrator at a local Chevrolet dealership. I've been in some aspect of the retail service business for the last 23 years. (Chevrolet & Buick carlines). A little older now and somewhat laid back, but I still have the "car nut " disease and its' in the advanced stages. Enjoy the forum....

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
605 Posts
I've been an inside contractor sales/counterman for a small plumbing & heating wholesaler in Utica, NY for the past 19 years...And I love my friggin' TrailBlazer!!!!!! :cool: :D

1 - 20 of 1228 Posts