Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Weird part on rear U-joint

741 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Ravalli Surfer 
#1 ·
My vehicle has started making a squeaking noise from the rear when traveling at low speeds a few days ago (The noise goes away at faster speeds). My mechanic recently put new brake pads on so I know that's not the issue. I did some research and found out it might be the U-joint(s) and while I was under the vehicle today I noticed this weird piece of metal sticking out. Does anyone know what this is? Is it sone sort of weight that's falling off?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know what that piece is sticking out of your U joint , but, Pretty sure it shouldn't be there .
As for the noise , always , I mean every time , look at that last thing you did or had done .
If your mechanic is worth half their salt , they'll want the job appreciated and to be sure that it was done right .
I'd take the vehicle back to him/her and let them determine if they caused the noise or not . Meanwhile you'd have an expert , hands on , opinion .
That is the best . Even better than the armchair whims you might read here . ;)

That's not to say that you're not welcome to come back here and see what guess' we can offer , just in case you don't like what the mechanic has to say . We'd like to read the solution to your problem anyway . :D

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I am abit hesitant to bring my vehicle back to my mechanic cause it'd be the fifth or sixth time in a two months, but I'll stop by and ask. I'm still willing to hear what other people have to say about this mysterious piece in that U-joint.

#4 ·
I have seen straps that hold the opposite u-joint cups to the trunnion in shipping. I don't think they even need to be removed - but I also don't think that piece looks shiny in any places I can see - to cause any noise by rubbing or flyng around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.