Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your nice comments.

The filter is a aFe not K&N (ordered a K&N but got a aFe,( wife got involved)).Sorry about that.:hopeless

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's funny you ask that. Got done putting it back on this morning. Still sounds good, with alittle more exhuast note and same feeling of breath in the engine.

I did cap off the res. hole in the cover with a 2 inch soft plug and capped off the bypass (at the rear of the box) with a rubber cover plug and cut the hole alittle larger to make it fit. All of which can be undone, if need be.

But I LIKE it now:yes:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
175 Posts
Looks great. With the filter back in the air box I'd say you have a great looking and functioning luke-warm intake.:dielaugh: Better than those hot-air intakes the manufacturers sell. Seriously though, looks good and very clean.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Looks good........the price is right........:thumbsup:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:) Thanks for the nice comments.:p

...functioning luke-warm intake. That's funny but I must say after tinkering around with the intake for a few hours, I made quite a change in the sound and (feeling of power):D With the intake breathing better and the res. off the truck now has a growl to it, not a drone and at WOT it really sucks:woot:

·
Registered
175 Posts
:) Thanks for the nice comments.:p

...functioning luke-warm intake. That's funny but I must say after tinkering around with the intake for a few hours, I made quite a change in the sound and (feeling of power):D With the intake breathing better and the res. off the truck now has a growl to it, not a drone and at WOT it really sucks:woot:
That's good to hear. I think that's probably the perfect sound you'd want from an intake. Could you get some pictures with it in the air box? The thing I like most is how your intake looks OEM.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks! I just have to say that looks amazing!

·
Registered
7 Posts
New to the site.. Need a little advice/help

Nice DIY!!

I notice you dont have a MAF.. the problem Im having is I have searched around on here about the ebay intake etc but havent seen anything on how any member placed a hole for the MAF to insert in the intake tube..

I ordered the ebay intake last week, just got it in.. Now all I have is a chrome intake pipe, filter, 1in filter, clamps etc, and 2 braces..

The pipe has about a 1in circular hole.. WTF is that for? :crazy: How does that help me? The MAF is rectangular, so do I need to dremel my own hole in the intake?

Do you recommend placing another gasket on the intake as well??

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice DIY!!

I notice you dont have a MAF.. the problem Im having is I have searched around on here about the ebay intake etc but havent seen anything on how any member placed a hole for the MAF to insert in the intake tube..

I ordered the ebay intake last week, just got it in.. Now all I have is a chrome intake pipe, filter, 1in filter, clamps etc, and 2 braces..

The pipe has about a 1in circular hole.. WTF is that for? :crazy: How does that help me? The MAF is rectangular, so do I need to dremel my own hole in the intake?

Do you recommend placing another gasket on the intake as well??
:)You will have much better luck if you do you're searches on Trailvoy.com than to trust anything you read on e-bay:nono:

Search the threads and posts in this section for the answers. If you want to DIY than look at mine, but be careful of e-bay sellers.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
Unless one does a lot of dyno runs, and has access to sophisticated engine manangement equipment, building a homemade CAI for a MAF is probably not a great idea.

This has been covered before in other posts, so a search is in order, but the short story is that the air flow past the MAF needs to be VERY consistent with the factory air-flow pattern to insure that the MAF is measuring the air flow accurately. That is mostly why CAI systems for the newer models with MAF are non-existent. I'm not saying that it is impossible, just that it is difficult, and so far, not much has been done in that area.

Making drastic changes in that air flow pattern across the MAF WILL result in some serious drivability issues, including a potential loss of control of the throttle position in a drive-by-wire system possibly resulting in a limp-home mode shut down of the PCM or a CEL code.

Oh, and all those funny factory convolutions and extra holes, piping, etc., are all designed to cancel out air waves that throw off MAF measurements (and in the case of the earlier MAP systems, to quiet the intake tract -- which most of us would like to reverse -- we like our trucks to sound like they actually have an engine under the hood).

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to site, got a request!

Very nice pictures! Do you have a list of parts you used? I would like to try this mod. Thanks 04' TB 4.2

·
Registered
2005 buick rainier
7 Posts
So where did you get the parts for your set up and what were they? I want to get rid of the intake resonator and air box

1 - 18 of 18 Posts