Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past wednesday my friend from school came down and we and a couple other buddy's hoped in my truck and went off roading. it was off of exit 74 on the nj parkway and we ran trails that went as far south as exit 69 and ended up getting out of trails around exit 82 or something like that. it was a good couple hours of trail riding, sight seeing and mudd. my one friend frequents those trails and showed us an old mineral lake that absolutley nothing grows in, and an old railroad bridge that you can jump off of into a small creek.

there werea couple times we were close to being stuck, because this was all without the lift yet. as were were told, we were going through some of the deeper pits in this area, we found out the hard way. at one point i was driving through a pit, and the hole front end just dropped, needless to say i didn't make it through, but was able to back out. we were carrying a winch, highlift jack, spare(still underneath- lead to extra drag) a couple hundred feet of tow straps, and chains.

Highlight of the day for me was when a couple kids in a cherokee came by and are like what kinda truck is that, completely clueless and gave the truck praises for making it threw stuff they couldn't or wouldn't got through

Attachments

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, they're 245/70/17 BFGoodrich M/T KM2's... i'm thinking about hooking up my stock 16's with a set of 32's, which would give me another inch of lift. the rims were actually bought from another member with the tires and wheel spacers, and even though they are still pretty skinny, they do really good.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i went to slow so i did get minimal water, just enough to get the bottom of the carpet wet... i knew someone would ask that, and the deepest it got was 30 inches casue at one point it almost covered my tires. i went slow through it and it was a mistake (first time through that stream) what made it slightly challengin was that there were rocks and cement chunks on the bottom that i had to be careful about. that was the deepest i would ever take my truck, the trick is to go slow enough not to have your fan kiack up much water but stay a a steady pace so you keep low rpms and stay a a mild 5 miles per hour so you don't get water into the cab. as i said i went a little to slow and got a little on the carpet... not to bad, it dryed by the end of the day

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
A bigger problem would have come had you submerged the PCM or the air box inlet... That would have ended your ride -- probably for good.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha very true, i had a friend that went to fast through a small pond crossing and hydralocked his engine in a dakota ( you can see me crossing that same lake in gordinho's thread Trail Ride In The Pinelands) me and my buddy's know all about water saftery, expecially when to wear our swimmy's:raspberry! i'w going to work on using the stock airbox to build a small cover for the intake and reroute a tube up into the back of the engine bay where its alot higher to get air, wit a setup kinda like a jetski's intake... and i'll have add to the stock air cover a gasket, and fill in the front little air scoop that it has.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
PCM is pretty waterproof, sealed connectors and all, and potted/coated electronics inside, but you like GLF said, you did good by going slow, because you don't want to get your airbox splashed full of water!

Mike

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i really shoud get efans that i can just simply disconnect when doing water crossings... that would really be the best solution... i actually did a really getto riged way of makign sure i didn't start sipping water with my k&n-- i made my k&n shift all the way up to the hood by proping it up with a can of cold soda, so that if the fan did spray water it would be shielded by the hood and heat barrier, and it would be high enough to not sit in water that may get kicked up ontop of the windshield wiper fluid tank

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
You do want to go fast enough to create a bow wave. This will actually create an air pocket in the engine bay.

If I do a deep water crossing, its good practice to unplug the fan connector (on the driver side of the radiator) and stuff a small rag between the fan shroud and the fan. This will keep the fan from throwing water everywhere. Just remember to plug it back up and get rid of the rag after the crossing.

Being stock, you may also want to check your rear differential vent. As the rear diff cools down in water, it has a tendency to suck in at the vent. By going slow, you lose some of the air pockets that otherwise form in that area. You may want to do the rear vent mod if you have a few free minutes. (found here http://forums.trailvoy.com/showpost.php?p=613332&postcount=1)

Thanks for representing the 360 well. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
i really shoud get efans that i can just simply disconnect when doing water crossings...
I went that route. Wasted $500, but got $300 back from PCMforless when they withdrew the controller product from the market. Back to stock.

Efans for the I6 are NOT capable of sufficient cooling in high ambient, low ground speed, high RPM conditions. Exactly what I'm faced with on hot hillclimbs in the desert in 4LO.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmmm oh man thats annoying... thanks roadie, i won't even waste my time then.

jd, that sounds easy enough for next time i'm in the trail.. and i know about the diff vent relocator... i checked, and that didn't get wet luckily

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
Foosh, the sound a hot differential makes when coming into contact with a nice cool water hole is akin to your user name... Foosh! Don't forget the transmission, transfer case, and front axle when you are extending vent lines.

A lot of off-road guys stick a nice filter in the engine bay, then run all the lines from the vehicle to that.

Another neat new trick is an expandable bellows that clamps onto your vent lines. It expands and contracts to stop anything from getting into or out of these components.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/pscvb01-vent-bellow-p-569.html

Military vehicles designed for water fording use pressurized axle housings, but note that it takes on-board air and a special seal arrangement to hold pressure.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks, for all the comments... and yeah the vent is a big issue that has been dealt with.

and yeah i guess the name does kinda sound like a hot diff going into water... haha my user name has double meaning then

1 - 16 of 16 Posts