Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So..slightly off-topic,

Amyone ever mounted a mobile mesonet, a weather station on their trailvoy? any pics? I have an Oregon Scientific wireless weather station and I am thinking of using PVC pipe and heavy-duty zipties. I want to make it removable but be able to throw it on in 2 seconds. My station is all wireless so that is easy. I have anemometer and barometer/thermometer that I want on it. I can also put on the rain guage if I am really bored but I don't like the idea of that much water being contained in one place on my roof (I know that sounds weird, maybe OCD) My only worries are with the flexibility of the PVC and scratching the roof of my trailblazer. I also have 4 antennas I need to work around.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts
I have had this same idea, but have not really put much thought into it yet. My only recomendation would be you check out some of the setups on storm chasers vehicles. A quick net search should get you a lot of results and ideas.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
105 Posts
So..slightly off-topic,

Amyone ever mounted a mobile mesonet, a weather station on their trailvoy? any pics? I have an Oregon Scientific wireless weather station and I am thinking of using PVC pipe and heavy-duty zipties. I want to make it removable but be able to throw it on in 2 seconds. My station is all wireless so that is easy. I have anemometer and barometer/thermometer that I want on it. I can also put on the rain guage if I am really bored but I don't like the idea of that much water being contained in one place on my roof (I know that sounds weird, maybe OCD) My only worries are with the flexibility of the PVC and scratching the roof of my trailblazer. I also have 4 antennas I need to work around.

yep....

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,401 Posts
Had one that was going to be a at home/ mobile weather station. However the anometer broke and it only has two "cups" I may see about returning it, getting my money back and ordering something a bit nicer online. Then build from there. It wouldn't be very difficult seeing how I already have the surco roof rack, and could easily ratchet strap the PVC on top of that rack. if / when I do build one the PVC pipe will be getting a coat of black spray paint.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
105 Posts
Had one that was going to be a at home/ mobile weather station. However the anometer broke and it only has two "cups" I may see about returning it, getting my money back and ordering something a bit nicer online. Then build from there. It wouldn't be very difficult seeing how I already have the surco roof rack, and could easily ratchet strap the PVC on top of that rack. if / when I do build one the PVC pipe will be getting a coat of black spray paint.
Don't paint your PVC pipe black. The black will cause you to get false (warmer) temperature readings in your sensor. Also, make sure the pipe is properly aspirated with a fan, or your not helping the cause.. Just giving ya a tip! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts