Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I have looked at lotsa posts about this and have an A/C that just doesnt blow too cold when it is above 70F. Not warm but not enuf to cool down car. New car to me. Should I have A/C leak checked, refrigerant level checked first, or do the fan clutch? I dont hear any jet engine roar, but I am not an engine guy. Wont be working on either project myself.

Everything else in temp control seems to work well. Temp is 2 way auto.

What would the folks do first?

Thanks for your expertise.

glowingly

ed :chillpill: soon I hope.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
59 Posts
If you're not going to work on it yourself, have the ac pressures checked first, who ever does that can tell you if the fan is functioning correct. Does it come on at all, do you hear the clutch click? if not it may be a simple fix.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
It's really too hard to say. You could be low on freon, you could have a bad low pressure switch, or your fan clutch could be bad.

The fan clutch can fail in two ways. It can either roar (as you surmised from the numerous posts) or it can not turn fast enough. Roadie and others have said if it doesn't turn fast enough, the PCM is SUPPOSE to set a code - but it didn't happen in my case.

My problem was the a/c didn't cool very well at low speeds or idle. About a year or year and a half after I bought it new - I started noticing if we were driving around town it wasn't even cool air - definitely no cold air.
If I got on the freeway it would freeze us out in a short period of time.

So for me changing the fan clutch fixed the problem.

Since you didn't mention my scenario, I'm guessing that yours is either low on freon or have a bad low pressure switch.

Do you hear the a/c compressor clutch engage and disengage a lot?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.