Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 20' boat that weighs about 4100 lbs with the trailer. From the info I have gathered here, max capacity for me is 5700 lbs. However, the hitch can only support 4000 lbs. My question is, since my trailer has surge brakes, will the addition of a WDH affect the ability of the actuator to "surge"? I normally only tow this this about 15 miles a year (to and from ramp), but this summer, I will be pulling it about 600 miles. I have pulled it at highway speed of 70 before,and it pulls quite nicely. Do I really need that WDH if it won't work with my brakes?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Where did you get the spec that the hitch can only support 4000 pounds?

What I see in the manual is that the receiver can support 400 pounds with a non-weight distributing hitch, and 900 pounds with a weight distributing hitch.

Since your trailer weighs 4100 lbs, and you should be loading it fore/aft (plus the contents of the boat) to achieve around 10% of the weight on the hitch, then there's your 400 pounds. You're OK without a weight distributing hitch.

Many models of weight distributing hitches will operate with surge brake systems, but not their anti-sway links if they're friction based. The WDH web site MUST be consulted. But I don't think you'll need one anyway.

Just get a measure of your hitch weight and keep it at 400 pounds (too little and you're more likely to sway).

If 400 pounds gives you too much rear end sag, many members have installed Airlift1000 bags inside the rear coil springs to counteract that. Only pump them up when you're towing.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
measured tongue weight at approx 325 pounds. There is a capacity sticker on the hitch that states weight carrying max -4000 lbs
weight distributing max -7600 lbs

I assumed these numbers applied to the hitch itself (V-Budd model)

My thought/question was, that, without a WDH, I am limited by the hitch capacity even though the vehicle is rated to tow 5700 lbs.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
HUH!?!?!?!

You're the first person I can remember looking closely at that sticker in the four years I've been here.

So I just went to look, and I have that as well, and it also says 4000 pounds there!

That totally contradicts what's in the Owner's Manuals, GM spec sheets, and their web site! And since all vehicles have that hitch installed on them, there's no wiggle room. GM goofed, or the supplier slapped an unauthorized sticker on them before sending to the assembly plant.

Anybody with other years got the same sticker?

I would ignore it, since the GM web sites and Owner's Manual say differently. And send a letter to GM along with a picture to ask them what gives.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ignoring it was my thoughts as well. Hard to imagine an extra 100 pounds causing failure for the very minimal use it gets.

I only discovered sticker after cracking my head on the hitch trying to get my spare down!

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
222 Posts
I have a 07 TB

I have a 07 Trailblazer and mine says the same thing... I assume that the hitch is rated at a certain weight and the truck can tow a certain weight if equipped properly. Most people don't realize that the ball is the weakest link!!! Most balls for the receiver hitch are only rated at 2000 or 4000 lbs!!! Try finding one at 6000??? They can be hard to come by.

About the surge brakes, you should not need the WDH since the boat is pretty much balanced. I tow my buddys 24' aquasport around with the TB and that was 9000 pounds!!! (only about 30 miles).

I suggest calling GM (I am this monday now!!!) about the sticker and asking what is the correct rating.

On my 06 Silverado, I have the 1500 series with the 5.3 and the hitch states 7500 lbs.

Gotta get a correct answer for myself!!!

Surge brakes operate on the force of the ball on the cup that accuates the brakes on the trailer. A weight distrubution hitch only uses torsion bars to " re-distribute" the weight to the front axle....The sway control WILL affect the surge and is not recommended in ANY WAY!!!

Don

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just got

Just got off the phone with GM customer service (in the Phillipines, (no wonder we can't keep an AMERICAN business in AMERICA!!!), and they told me that the owner MUST go by the sticker on the hitch and not the owners manual. If you were to get in an accident, and the hitch was to fail, they could find you at fault for not following the manufacturers recommendations. I told them that the owners manual (which she and the supervisor told me was correct) states 6600 lbs for mine.....they told me that that is only correct if the correct hitch is installed....Class IV hitch that is.

Guess GM has some explaining to do....

Don

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the info. I will look into what it will take to upgrade the hitch. But for my trip, its from Mpls to lake of the ozarks and 98% of it is on I-35 which is so flat and straight, my biggest danger is falling asleep from boredom!
Its a 20' sea ray with a factory matched, dual axle trailer, and it pulls really nice. Will report back with new hitch info.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
.....they told me that that is only correct if the correct hitch is installed....Class IV hitch that is.
What's installed is the right hitch that all trailvoys are built with. There are no upgraded options. There is no footnote in the Owner's Manual. The vendor who built that assembly is trying to limit their liability exposure by sneaking on the sticker without GM's engineering permission, I think.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Here's more info

The hitch, (look at the sticker posted here) says that the weight is 4000lbs and 7600lbs with weight distributing hitch. This IS CORRECT for the application.....
http://forums.trailvoy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3556&d=1239382994
The hitch is designed to handle the pressure of 4000 lbs and the WDH would allow the weight to be distributed across the whole chasis.....

Anyway, if towing far, get the WDH and don't use the sway control so that the surge brakes will work.

If going short distances, don't worry about it.

Also, Point in fact is that Chevy HAS put in the Owners Manual that if you are towing over 4000 lbs, to use a weight distributing hitch.....check it out in the resources section of the site.

From the Owners Manual of the 07 Trailblazer:

If you will be pulling a trailer that, when loaded,
will weigh more than 4,000 lbs (1 814 kg) be sure
to use a properly mounted weight-distributing
hitch and sway control of the proper size.
This equipment is very important for proper
vehicle loading and good handling when driving.
Always use a sway control if the trailer will
weigh more than these limits. You can ask a hitch
dealer about sway controls.

Don

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Also, Point in fact is that Chevy HAS put in the Owners Manual that if you are towing over 4000 lbs, to use a weight distributing hitch.....check it out in the resources section of the site.
Thanks for finding that. I was wrong in claiming that it wasn't mentioned. I thought that important legal issues like that would have been a specific footnote on the spec chart on the previous page, but noooo. :tiphat

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow- learned lots of new stuff! I will say, while chevrolet has put all the neccessary info in the manual and on the stickers, it's confusing and seemingly contradictory to say the least (assuming someone read it to begin with). I do not believe I have ever seen a WDH on a runabout sized boat at the ramp or on the highway. Willful disregard or ignorance?

·
Registered
222 Posts
no biggie Roadie!!!

Thanks for finding that. I was wrong in claiming that it wasn't mentioned. I thought that important legal issues like that would have been a specific footnote on the spec chart on the previous page, but noooo. :tiphat
Hey Roadie I agree that it would be posted somewhere. I lookied up the wdh and you can have a great one with sway control usable with surge brakes for only $300.....

A great piece of mind if towing far......or a large trailer with a lot of surface area...

We all learned something new!!!

That what this site is about anyway right????!!!!

Don

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I agree it's a wasted day without learning a few new things. I actually have a WDH on my 3000 pound trailer, but the trailer has electric brakes so I've never had to tow a surge brake UHaul or boat with the Roadiemobile.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
11 Posts
I just towed my 20' Crownline 5400# about 350mi to Pittsburgh for some warranty repairs. First time I ever used a WD hitch for it with my Envoy, WOW what a difference! Very comfotable towing:thumbsup: if setup properly. My only suggestion is verify that the MFG of your SB actuator is compatible with a WD hitch, some are not and may cause brake failure. A very good read on WD hitches w/ surge brakes can be found here http://boards.trailerboats.com/cgi-bin/trailerboats/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001843#000000 we normally tow about 40mi one way to the lake we boat at and have done it without the use of a WD since we boat the boat in 07. It towed well without WD but I feel better knowing that I am legal with it! Good Luck and Happy Boating!

Todd

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that link had great info! Especially the part where the setup takes the surge brake system into consideration. My SB on the EZ loader, are not horizontal- they push up over 45 degrees, so the actual horizontal movement is considerably less. I will def give this set up some thought for longer trips!

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
268 Posts
your 4100lbs weight, is that full of fuel or empty. if it is full of fuel and weighs 4100lbs and it worries you that much just offload some fuel or put your batteries in the TV or something to take some of the weight out of the boat.

Your battery and spare tire and a few gallons of fuel might add up to the weight you need to reduce.

i would guess that fuel would run about 6lbs per gallon (I think water is 7lb per gal) and a 20ft boat should have at least 30 gals so that is 180lbs right there if you run close to empty.

I think you can get the weight down enough if you really want to so you don't have to worry about getting the WDH.

·
Registered
gmc envoy_sle
1 Posts
so true

What's installed is the right hitch that all trailvoys are built with. There are no upgraded options. There is no footnote in the Owner's Manual. The vendor who built that assembly is trying to limit their liability exposure by sneaking on the sticker without GM's engineering permission, I think.
You are right, I have 08 gmc with no wdh or sway bars, Im about to take a trailmanor 3124 with it about 2.5 hours away (Ill be taking my time though). The trailmanors dont weigh a lot but they are not light either, about 4100 real weight. wish me luck and hopefully i am not too stupid for this lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts