Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in August I sold my 2004 F7 on ebay to a kid in Ohio. I told him I would only accept a cashiers check bacause I didnt want to pay the big paypal fee. He offered to pay the fee, so I figured "hey, its paypal, its safe and I am protected." Well that transaction took place sept 7th. On December 4th, 3 months later, I get notification from paypal that the buyer reversed the charges. 3 months later and paypal allows the buyer to reverse the charges, leaving my paypal account negative thousands of dollars as the money I recieved was to purchase another sled. So who is protected here? Not the seller!

So paypal advertises seller protection. Well if you read about it, your transaction is only protected if you have delivery confirmation from say, fedex or UPS. Ok, how was I supposed to have that for something as big as a sled? I hand delivered it. They said sorry, if you get a signed affidavit from your buyer you may be able to do something. Well, I had a signed bill of sale, I even went further to contact the buyer to get him to sign a document saying that the transaction in question was legitimate---sorry, we can't do anything for you.

Now I can't get ahold of the kid. Well, I work in collections and can find pretty much anyone unless they seriously don't want to be found. I tracked down the kids parents in CA, find out he is living in Utah now. I guess the transaction was on the kids fathers credit card. The kids father lost the card, so they reversed all his transactions and mine was "hung up". So I said fine I will wait.

Well 60 days goes by. I threaten to sue the kid, and the father comes through with a cashiers check for the full amount. So I am all set now. Got the cash.

But the point is, I did all that legwork, not paypal! The transaction cost 117.00 bucks. What the hell did I pay that for? A money order is free from my credit union. Every time I called paypal they said that they were disputing on my behalf. I asked what are you doing to dispute this. They said they are waiting for the credit card company to give them an answer, and that they can't control the outcome. They were not dipsuting on my behalf or "fighting" for me as they claimed. They are liars and thieves in my opinion.

Now paypal has come to the conclusion that they cannot dispute on my behalf anymore and now I owe them all the money, which I will pay. But, working in collections, I called them to see what could be worked out. Long story short, they want it paid in 6 months or it hits my credit. They are unwilling to come to a settlement. What if I hadn't taken it upon myself to get the money back? What if the kids father didn't pay me? I would be seriously ****ed by paypal and they wouldn't work with me to get the situation resolved.

Long story short, watch yourself. Paypal is not as safe as you think, not worth the money. I know this will not change anything, but if I can make some of you guys aware, maybe it will stop you from potentially getting burned, or your friends from getting burned.

Joshua

·
Registered
422 Posts
Thank you for sharing that story with us . I will definitely handle things differently knowing this is how they handled this . I am glad to hear that this got handled for you . Paypal has done some very shaky things in the past . They should be investigated to see if they can legally get away with this **** .

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yeah, thanks for the story.

Sometimes life sucks. At least you got your money in the end. Pay Paypal and get on with your life.

I also stopped doing business with Paypal and eBay. Long story. But both are crooks, IMO.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
522 Posts
arent ebay an paypal owned by the same people or am im wrong

i wont sell anything on ebay maybe buy something small but i will never buy or sell anything big on ebay its not fair when you post something and it doesnt sell that you still need to pay them for posting something when craigslist is free

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
interesint...

now, sorry for my confusion, but why do you have to pay paypal for anything? did you owe them money?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
interesint...

now, sorry for my confusion, but why do you have to pay paypal for anything? did you owe them money?
because paypal turned my account negative for the amount that they buyer had paid me (excess of 4K!!!!) I tracked down the buyer and got the money in a cashiers check, because I wasnt going to keep messing around with paypal. Now I need to make my paypal account positive by depositing that money

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
because paypal turned my account negative for the amount that they buyer had paid me (excess of 4K!!!!) I tracked down the buyer and got the money in a cashiers check, because I wasnt going to keep messing around with paypal. Now I need to make my paypal account positive by depositing that money
ooooooooooooh! sorry, im stoopid sometimes. you took out the original money that he reversed. got it now.

sucks though. you think that the buyer would have been more upfront about it and contacted you to let you know.... or at least not give you this much of a run-around.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4 Posts
Back in August I sold my 2004 F7 on ebay to a kid in Ohio. I told him I would only accept a cashiers check bacause I didnt want to pay the big paypal fee. He offered to pay the fee, so I figured "hey, its paypal, its safe and I am protected." Well that transaction took place sept 7th. On December 4th, 3 months later, I get notification from paypal that the buyer reversed the charges. 3 months later and paypal allows the buyer to reverse the charges, leaving my paypal account negative thousands of dollars as the money I recieved was to purchase another sled. So who is protected here? Not the seller!

So paypal advertises seller protection. Well if you read about it, your transaction is only protected if you have delivery confirmation from say, fedex or UPS. Ok, how was I supposed to have that for something as big as a sled? I hand delivered it. They said sorry, if you get a signed affidavit from your buyer you may be able to do something. Well, I had a signed bill of sale, I even went further to contact the buyer to get him to sign a document saying that the transaction in question was legitimate---sorry, we can't do anything for you.

Now I can't get ahold of the kid. Well, I work in collections and can find pretty much anyone unless they seriously don't want to be found. I tracked down the kids parents in CA, find out he is living in Utah now. I guess the transaction was on the kids fathers credit card. The kids father lost the card, so they reversed all his transactions and mine was "hung up". So I said fine I will wait.

Well 60 days goes by. I threaten to sue the kid, and the father comes through with a cashiers check for the full amount. So I am all set now. Got the cash.

But the point is, I did all that legwork, not paypal! The transaction cost 117.00 bucks. What the hell did I pay that for? A money order is free from my credit union. Every time I called paypal they said that they were disputing on my behalf. I asked what are you doing to dispute this. They said they are waiting for the credit card company to give them an answer, and that they can't control the outcome. They were not dipsuting on my behalf or "fighting" for me as they claimed. They are liars and thieves in my opinion.

Now paypal has come to the conclusion that they cannot dispute on my behalf anymore and now I owe them all the money, which I will pay. But, working in collections, I called them to see what could be worked out. Long story short, they want it paid in 6 months or it hits my credit. They are unwilling to come to a settlement. What if I hadn't taken it upon myself to get the money back? What if the kids father didn't pay me? I would be seriously ****ed by paypal and they wouldn't work with me to get the situation resolved.

Long story short, watch yourself. Paypal is not as safe as you think, not worth the money. I know this will not change anything, but if I can make some of you guys aware, maybe it will stop you from potentially getting burned, or your friends from getting burned.

Joshua
Paypal are very fishy to say the least, they are shameless and borderline on the criminal side.
They put a hold on my account because someone claimed that they did not receive an item that allegedly bought from me, well, I have not sold anything since I got paypal as a form of payment, like you I had to do the leg work, I asked: where is the transaction number? What is the item that I allegedly sold? Many questions and they had no answers, fortunately I got my money back.
good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts