Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, I was hoping for some help so I can look a slightly informed at the mechanic tomorrow.

I have an 03 envoy 4.2l v6. 117k miles
I washed it the other day and a few blocks away the serpentine
belt popped off. (will getting the belt wet cause that?)...got the belt back on, go put water in the radiator, but water was pouring out from behind the fan.
I was already having a problem with, I think, the fan clutch (jet engine noise).
One mechanic told me that it could be a stuck pulley, and another said the water pump.

any ideas?

·
Banned
chevy
12,260 Posts
I would be shocked to see it pop off from washing. I am going to bet the water pump is on its way out. Would have thought you would have some other noises though. Let us know what it turns out to be!:cool:

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,253 Posts
that "jet engine" noise is 9 times out of 10 a bad idler pulley,,,,,,its a common problem for our trucks......mine went bad,, it cost me 45 bucks and about 25minutes to get it replaced at my local shop.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks
here's something else. the fan moves back and forth quite a bit.
and no, it wasnt making any noises before (except the 'jet engine' one) and that would stop at higher speeds. But the fan started hitting the shroud after we put the belt back on.
so would a bad water pump, fan clutch or idler pulley cause the belt to pop off?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
ok thanks
here's something else. the fan moves back and forth quite a bit.
and no, it wasnt making any noises before (except the 'jet engine' one) and that would stop at higher speeds. But the fan started hitting the shroud after we put the belt back on.
so would a bad water pump, fan clutch or idler pulley cause the belt to pop off?
There is absolutly no question that the water pump is bad. That is what is allowing the fan clutch to move forward, side to side, and allowing water to flow like the Colorado River. The fan mounts on the water pump shaft. Also, the jet engine noise, if I understand you correctly, is the fan clutch going bad.

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,253 Posts
There is absolutly no question that the water pump is bad. That is what is allowing the fan clutch to move forward, side to side, and allowing water to flow like the Colorado River. The fan mounts on the water pump shaft. Also, the jet engine noise, if I understand you correctly, is the fan clutch going bad.
:iagree:,,if the fan moves like you say it is,,its time for a new water pump!!

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
:iagree:,,if the fan moves like you say it is,,its time for a new water pump!!
:iagree: x 2 its a bad water pump

that "jet engine" noise is 9 times out of 10 a bad idler pulley,,,,,,its a common problem for our trucks......mine went bad,, it cost me 45 bucks and about 25minutes to get it replaced at my local shop.
the jet engine roar is more associated with a bad fan clutch stuck in the on position...not the idler pulley. idler pulley is more of a whine..like a s/c whine.

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,253 Posts
:iagree: x 2 its a bad water pump

the jet engine roar is more associated with a bad fan clutch stuck in the on position...not the idler pulley. idler pulley is more of a whine..like a s/c whine.
idk,,when my idler pulley went bad it sounded like a airplane taking off when i accelerated.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
your fan is moving because the bearings have failed in the water pump.
this allows the fan to wobble as it turns.
the water pump is now also leaking
You will also need a new serpentine belt.
the wobble has most likely allowed the belt to be rubbed on the sides- if you look closely around the pulleys you will see rubber shavings.
while you get this replaced... think about doing all of the following since youre at 117K and more than 5 yrs old.....
replace
dexcool
water pump
fan clutch
thermostat
serpentine belt
and possibly the upper and lower radiator hose.
all of this may as well be done since youll have to drain the coolant

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
916 Posts
I replaced the fan clutch on my 2005 TB at 85K miles. I still get the jet engine noise, usually in the morning when I first start it for the day. After that it's intermittant. I'm renting a 2009 TB with 6300 km and it has the same noise.

My TB is in the shop for a blown head gasket (99K miles). I had the coolant hoses and thermostat replaced as well. However, they are in great shape and if I had been doing the work myself, I wouldn't have changed them. My resources and tools are very limited here in the UAE, hence I take the TB to the local Chevy dealer. They do pretty good work. The parts and labor over here are relatively inexpensive compared to the US, so having the dealer do the work isn't as bad as it sounds. :hijacked Sorry.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
hi, thanks you guys
I had my car towed to the shop this morning, they just called and said it is the water pump, and fan clutch, plus a new belt and coolant...all for the price of approx. $660. including towing.
ps. i had the thermostat changed about a month ago already.

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,422 Posts
hi, thanks you guys
I had my car towed to the shop this morning, they just called and said it is the water pump, and fan clutch, plus a new belt and coolant...all for the price of approx. $660. including towing.
ps. i had the thermostat changed about a month ago already.
That is an offly good price. Do your self a favor and find out what brand fan clutch they are using. There seems to be a lot of problems with the korean made units in previous posts. :m2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.