Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 03 TB LTZ, 96K

Since i have owned it I have repleaced 4 going on 5 sets of warped rotors (2 under waranty). Both front wheel bearings at 80K and another front at 90K. Last summer I also replaced a stuck front caliper. All of the repairs have been made to the fron brakes, before I replace another set of fron rotors/pads is there something else that would be causing this? Thanks

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
I have a 03 TB LTZ, 96K

Since i have owned it I have repleaced 4 going on 5 sets of warped rotors (2 under waranty). Both front wheel bearings at 80K and another front at 90K. Last summer I also replaced a stuck front caliper. All of the repairs have been made to the fron brakes, before I replace another set of fron rotors/pads is there something else that would be causing this? Thanks
From my experience there are two possible problems. One is that the wheels are being over tighten. Many shops use air guns. There is a torque value given for a reason.

Second, is improper break in. Some pads have a break in procedure, such as making several stops from 40 to about 10 MPH. I don't remember the exact number, do a search on this forum or the web site of any manuf. of the brake pads/rotors.
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=85

Edit: One other thing. As you mentioned, I have seen bad calipers warp a rotor. I had a vehicle where the rotors just were not releasing all the way which made the rotors hotter than they should be. But in my case these calipers were over 10 years and about 170,000 miles old.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
holy smokes.... going on 5 sets...:eek:

Have you used the same shop to do the work?
Its very possible that they are overtightning the lug nuts.
I rotated tires at about 133,000.. hand tightened the lug nuts with a breaker bar... I didnt use a torque wrench-- and about 8,000 miles later-- im getting a small vibration when stopping..
At about 141,000 I removed the rotors and had them turned ($20 for the pair). I put in new brake pads. (the old ones I had put in 10,000 miles ago or so).
This time I used my torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts.
I went for a quick drive where I did about a dozen 40- 0 stops.
My rotors are all factory rotors.

What about operator error? Maybe someone is ridding the brakes?
If not- stuck calipers?

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
I tighten mine in two torque settings, 50 ft. lbs., then the final ( for the '03 Envoy) to 100 ft.lbs. Also follow the sequence in the owners manual.:m2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts