Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I've had my CVR now for a couple of months and with a recommendation a week ago to put some polyfil in the box it now sounds very nice.

One slight problem...I want more. I started with a Basslink, then stepped it up to the 12" CVR. I'm not ready to throw down $500 for a sub, but just wondering what would be the next step.

I was thinking either another 07CVR12 or a single 07CVR15. I like being able to keep the box space down with a single sub though which is why I was thinking the 15.

Also, I could replace the current 12 with something else. I'm running my amp at 4ohms at 500RMS, so assume about 1,000 @ 2Ohms to give you an idea of what I have to deal with.

Appreciate all the help and recommendations I get on this forum. My whole system was built by recommendations I got from here.

DAVE

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,574 Posts
I will probably be laughed at or get yelled at, but i have a 15" L7 and i love it. It was recommend to me by someone on here also. I got mine for $200 brand new off ebay. :cool:

It hits the lows really hard and can get loud as hell, and i think it still has good sound quality.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you still trying to keep the enclosure as small as possible?
Yes. Well, let's just say I can go bigger, but not that much bigger. Like a box for a single 15 maybe. I'm not so sure about 2 12's. Am I really limiting myself with this? I can easily yank the current box outta there in like 15 seconds.

I put down less than 100 bucks for the CVR and I actually think it sounds great. But...it could sound better, so I figure with a little more coin I could get an even better sub.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,574 Posts
Yes L7 is a sub made by kicker. It's a square instead of round. Like i said i think it's a great sub. But then again i'm not an expert like some other people are. Some people are not fans of it because they say it has bad SQ.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
yeah, 2x 12s are gonna be louder than a single woffer (on same power)

if i were you i would get a second sub. then spend the money on a new amp.

what is the voice coil configuration on your sub and what amp are you running?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, 2x 12s are gonna be louder than a single woffer (on same power)

if i were you i would get a second sub. then spend the money on a new amp.

what is the voice coil configuration on your sub and what amp are you running?
I have a PA 2000D:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_17526_Power+Acoustik+OVN1-2000D.html

My CVR is 2O wired at 4O. I purposely ran the same Lil Wayne song over and over again yesterday at full tilt for 30 minutes to see how well the amp held up. It was pretty warm, but not hot.

So, basically, I would be better off just getting another 07CVR12? Probably cheaper that way as well.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
yeah get another dual two and you can wire them to 2 ohms. not a big fan of that brand of amps, so i would use your budget to mainly buy a new amp. then you can try to sell the amp on ebay and remake some of your money.

i would look for a 800 - 1000 watt amp at 2 ohms, maybe look into kicker or alpine, most of their stuff is stable down to 2 ohms.

or you might want to plan ahead futher and find a bid amp and stable at 1 ohm and will do 1000 at 2 ohms. you know in case it still isnt enfough. would hate have to buy another amp....

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so, what are you going to do?
I just ripped out the back seats for the 4 Nightshades I just ordered.

Actually, I'm going to go with another 12 in the same box. I think this will be the easiest and cheapest. I can keep one box/sub in or both and can pull them out pretty easily.

Thanks for all the advice on this.

DAVE

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
I just ripped out the back seats for the 4 Nightshades I just ordered.
Alright!

Actually, I'm going to go with another 12 in the same box. I think this will be the easiest and cheapest. I can keep one box/sub in or both and can pull them out pretty easily.
Oh. I am disappoint.

Just kidding, let us know how it works out for you:cool:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
haha, i was about to say, you opened a can of worms on that one.

that is probably the best thing, and cheapest.

what about the amp?

$80 sub and a $60 box ... some polyfill.... with your $500 budget, i think you can swing a new one :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts