Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
139 Posts
ive gotten alot of ideas from the forums as far as what to do with led lighting...ill be doing a writeup from start to finish on every mod i do. such as side pockets,cup holders,clusters/everything else thats lights up on the dash,dome lights, and alot more.

ordering the leds thursday or friday and the mods should be done hopefully the same day i get them if not the day after.

plus i also have an old cluster where the speedo dont work so ill test on that first then ill do my normal one.

so stay tuned about next week and look for the thread. Ill be calling it Complete LED writeup

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
10 Posts
I am just trying to figure out how my 98 S-10 with 150K on the clock has every light still working and my 2004 90K trailblazer has like 7 lights out...

Seriously, what's the deal here?

Ryan K:weird:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
10 Posts
Last weekend, I replaced all of the instrument cluster lights with white LEDs. I took the leds and hit them on my bench grinder to make them flat. Turned out Very well lit, but I managed to break two of my stepper motors when taking the needles out, the metal pin pulled out. Oh well, good time to change the motors as well...

Ryan K.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
139 Posts
gotcha.. had I known you have green TB I may have guessed right.. you should fill out your profile :thumbsup:
filled it out, only thing im worried about is taking apart the cluster and not breaking any stepper motors hopefully. i read the guide on how to replace them so ill just follow that to take it apart carefully

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
48 Posts
i just helped my bro do this on his dakota via this article.

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8842

it was a piece of cake so i can't wait to read your article, hoping it was as easy as his was. i'm assuming you're going to cover changing the window controls and everything since its called compete led upgrade. that all blue interior looks amazing. keep us posted!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
1,061 Posts
actually i need to do this on the Dual climate control. I have the slider style and the passenger slider lights are out. Plus it would be cool to change the door button lights.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
497 Posts
wait... wait.... the sliders are supposed to be lit? Neither of mine are!

Jeez. I'm gonna have to order a bunch of LEDs. I definitely want to swap mine out, now.

I like the look of the blue, but I'm wondering if white is a better long-term option?

edit: I just bought a 100 pack of 5mm white flat-top LEDs and 470 ohm resistors. Hopefully that's enough to do my gauge cluster, switches, and HVAC.

I'll take pics and do a write-up if no one else has done one.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
48 Posts
P07r0457 that looks awesome. Is there a list of the bulb sizes and amounts that you need for the dash change like that? Also are I'm assuming those are blue bulbs but how did you keep the needles orange?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
497 Posts
P07r0457 that looks awesome. Is there a list of the bulb sizes and amounts that you need for the dash change like that? Also are I'm assuming those are blue bulbs but how did you keep the needles orange?
They are not incandescent bulbs. They are LEDs. I used 5mm flat-top white LEDs, with 470 ohm resistors.

The cluster has a blue film tint on the inside, and that is what gives it the blue coloring. The tint is not in front of the needles, so the white light is allowed to show through the orange needle.

I didn't expect it to turn out quite so blue -- but now that it has, I really like it.

The LED's that I used were the same in the white headlamp switch (very white) and in the cluster. So that gives you an idea about how profound the blue tint in the cluster will affect your light output. Take that into consideration if you're aiming for a different color.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.