Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2004 Trailblazer EXT LT (4.2). I need to replace my VVT solenoid. My problem seems unique though as I haven't seen anyone else mention this or complain about this on here or on YouTube.

My particular issue is that the solenoid will not budge out of the engine block at all.

I have the power steering pump moved and the bolt out of the solenoid facing. The entire solenoid is 100% seized/stuck inside of the engine block. I've watched multiple YouTube videos on how to change this and every video shows these solenoids sliding out without any effort. I however have spent the last 6 hours trying to get it to budge. It won't. Not even a 10th of an inch. All it does is spin in place inside of the hole.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to extract this solenoid from its hole? I'm absolutely dumbfounded and value your guidance.

Thank you! =)

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
49 Posts
The CPAS (Crankshaft Position Actuator Solenoid) isn't spinning in its bore, that is just the mounting bracket that is spinning.

There is an o ring on it that must have become seized. I would suggest getting the engine up to op temp and trying again. You can start it moving outwards with the PS pump bolted up. So I would put it all back together, get the engine nice n warm and try again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great suggestion! Instead however, I had a friend come over and assist me. He brought a large 3 foot 'slide hammer' with a vise grip adapter. We gripped onto it and whacked the slide hammer back a few times and bam! Out it came! =)

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
23 Posts
Great suggestion! Instead however, I had a friend come over and assist me. He brought a large 3 foot 'slide hammer' with a vise grip adapter. We gripped onto it and whacked the slide hammer back a few times and bam! Out it came! =)
I had the same exact problem.... It gets really rusted or baked in there nice and good.... I had help from my stepdad (took a flathead and hammer) we had to break the bracket wall on the CPAS off of the engine wall before it would slide out. funny story, they do get stuck in there real good sometimes

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the same exact problem.... It gets really rusted or baked in there nice and good.... I had help from my stepdad (took a flathead and hammer) we had to break the bracket wall on the CPAS off of the engine wall before it would slide out. funny story, they do get stuck in there real good sometimes
Well so I'm not alone? =) Yeah, it was a doozy. I too had to break the bracket but it didn't do any good. The issue with mine was that the 'O' ring that was on it got baked into the head. I'm telling you, the damn thing wouldn't budge if I dropped a nuclear warhead on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PS: As a general update to this, replacing the VVT did not help me at all. My ODBii codes were showing that it and my cam position sensor were bad. After replacing both, still in the same boat. I'm glad I didn't become a mechanic because I wouldn't have any hair left after dealing with this kind of bologna lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sort of like chasing ghosts. I am on an adventure with my TB and just when you think you won bam misfires again.

PS: As a general update to this, replacing the VVT did not help me at all. My ODBii codes were showing that it and my cam position sensor were bad. After replacing both, still in the same boat. I'm glad I didn't become a mechanic because I wouldn't have any hair left after dealing with this kind of bologna lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts