Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my VVME 55W HID's last night and everything is working correctly: high beams and low beams.

The question I have is in regards to power: is it necessary to run a secondary power line from the battery with a relay on it? Right now i have them hooked up just through the ballasts with no line from the battery. They work, but I noticed this morning when I went to go unlock the doors, the lights blipped on and then wouldn't remain on like they should, and last night when I locked the vehicle the lights remained on for 30 seconds like they're supposed to, but would flicker oh-so-slightly. And I did install the capacitor on the pink/white wire as mentioned in other posts (Proof I searched first!)

Is this normal? If it is necessary for me to run a secondary line, how am I supposed to tap into the existing lines? Fuse size? Gauge of wire? And where the heck did you find a place to hide the ballasts?

Sorry for so many newbie questions. I'm using my vehicle as a "test bench" for the HID's, as I also bought a set for my dad for his birthday and I would like his installation to go as smooth as possible.

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
One of the major concerns is melting the stock headlight wiring connections, so people suggest using the relays to prevent that. I've also seen in a couple of other threads, folks who went with the capacitor mod, but still have a little flicker from time to time.

I have VVME.com HIDs, ran relays for my lows and fogs, and a DRL killer, so no flicker for me. Since it's still early, I'm sure someone who's had the same issue you're dealing with will chime in with their solution.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well as i have had more time to test the lights and it seems they are acting a little bit funky.

When I unlock the car, the driver side headlight will come on, but the passenger will not. After i start the car, the driver side light will remain on and the passenger will only kick on if i turn the lights off, wait a couple seconds, and then turn them on again.

I'm going to run the power/relay tomorrow to see if it fixes the issues. Is there a Radio Shack that supplies the relay or do i need to order a special one?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
432 Posts
well as i have had more time to test the lights and it seems they are acting a little bit funky.

When I unlock the car, the driver side headlight will come on, but the passenger will not. After i start the car, the driver side light will remain on and the passenger will only kick on if i turn the lights off, wait a couple seconds, and then turn them on again.

I'm going to run the power/relay tomorrow to see if it fixes the issues. Is there a Radio Shack that supplies the relay or do i need to order a special one?
http://www.shop.3bspecialties.com/HID-Relay-Wiring-Harness-HID-Harness.htm;jsessionid=15C010D0825BFEB96AC1C42DF16BF21F.qscstrfrnt05

This one would work just fine. For "wiring harness" put 9006. And for "Harness Options" put standard harness. You only need one to go from the battery to both lights.

People who have had flicker have used both a relay and the capacitor mod just to make sure to get rid of the flicker. As weird as it is, it seems for some that the capacitor mod is sufficient to rid the flicker (myself included) but for others it seems to take both a relay and the capacitor mod. I'm not sure why but it doesn't seem 100% for everything so I guess I'd buy the relay to play it safe.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
432 Posts
Both lights as in high and low beams or both lights as in one set for the lows and one set for the highs (saying I have to order 2)?
You only need one relay kit. Even if you have HIDs in your high beams, they don't need to run through a relay because the stock wiring provides it with a full 100% power when the high beams are activated. Some would say to use a relay kit on the high beams just to be safe but in my own opinion, it isn't necessary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts