Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
72 Posts
I just took the temp passenger blowing 67degree driver side blowing 84. So there is no way to test the actuator we can only replace it

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8 Posts
Blend Door actuator - correct part?

I posted this on the OTHER mode actuator thread (the one with 68 pages), but thought I'd post it here as well, since it deals with the blend door actuator and not the mode actuator.

I've read all the posts on this section, and just want to make sure I get the correct parts. I have a 2004 TB EXT LT with the digital climate control, and there are three issues:

1. It's winter now, and the front passenger side has plenty of heat, but the driver's side blows cold. All the modes work correctly for blowing air (dash, floor, and defrost), but we only get heat on right side (passenger), and no heat (cold) on left (driver). I think I have pinpointed that problem to the Blend door/temp actuator for the Drivers side, ACDELCO 1573598 {#89018676} (RockAuto has it for $34.99) - http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=950667&cc=1424281&jsn=468&jsn=468&jsn=468

2. I also hear a clicking noise from the REAR passenger side of the vehicle (at the very back of the vehicle near the rear hatch). This was a noise I heard earlier, then is stopped, but when I went through the process of trying to reset the calibration (pull the fuse, don't touch controls for 90 seconds, etc and thank you all for those instructions) the clicking sound came back while recalibrating. I've pinpointed this to be the Rear Auxiliary actuator (probably missing gear teeth). I'm pretty sure this part is ACDELCO 1572811 {#88892975} RockAuto has this part for $46.79. http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=340105&cc=1424281&jsn=473&jsn=473

3. Only unheated air comes from the roof vents. I THINK maybe that these are also controlled by the blend door actuator, but I'm not sure - or maybe the rear one - or is this another problem? Does anyone know?

I've been reading the threads on Trailvoy ever since we got our first TB (used in 2008), and you all are a FONT of knowledge. Because of the forums, we've been able to deduce (and fix) the problem with our A/C and stalling - to needing to clean the Throttle Body; we've been able to replace the Window arm regulator; diagnose and repair the shift arm controller; the upper ball joint, and more! I can't thank you all enough. I think I've only posted once, but read quite a bit. So, if anyone can chime in to verify the parts for 1 and 2, and have any information for 3, I would greatly appreciate it!

My husband and both work on the vehicle, but I do all the online research (he's mechanically savvy, but not computer savvy). He's got a code reader, if that will help diagnose the problem. We used to have a 2004 TB EXT LS (more basic model) but someone rear-ended us and it got totaled last year. Insurance covered a full replacement - same year, almost the same mileage (135,000), but a higher-end model with the digital climate control (LT). We do all the repairs ourselves, and keep it running smoothly. He likes the Chevy to work on much better than our old Ford, and this forum has been a God-send!

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2 Posts
drivers blend door act

Thought i'd keep this thread alive. Thanks to all that post about this main in the @ss task.
I came up with an easy, no cutting or drilling technique. I just smashed and bent the bracket to allow a 1/4" ratchet on the top screw. It gave me enough room to get the screw about 1/2 way out. I then wrapped electrical tape around the socket and unscrewed it the rest of the way by hand (finger).
I'm leaving the top screw out. The actuator is sitting pretty tight with out it and i don't think it will hurt.
Good luck everybody!

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
71 Posts
I posted this on the OTHER mode actuator thread (the one with 68 pages), but thought I'd post it here as well, since it deals with the blend door actuator and not the mode actuator.

I've read all the posts on this section, and just want to make sure I get the correct parts. I have a 2004 TB EXT LT with the digital climate control, and there are three issues:

1. It's winter now, and the front passenger side has plenty of heat, but the driver's side blows cold. All the modes work correctly for blowing air (dash, floor, and defrost), but we only get heat on right side (passenger), and no heat (cold) on left (driver). I think I have pinpointed that problem to the Blend door/temp actuator for the Drivers side, ACDELCO 1573598 {#89018676} (RockAuto has it for $34.99) - http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=950667&cc=1424281&jsn=468&jsn=468&jsn=468

2. I also hear a clicking noise from the REAR passenger side of the vehicle (at the very back of the vehicle near the rear hatch). This was a noise I heard earlier, then is stopped, but when I went through the process of trying to reset the calibration (pull the fuse, don't touch controls for 90 seconds, etc and thank you all for those instructions) the clicking sound came back while recalibrating. I've pinpointed this to be the Rear Auxiliary actuator (probably missing gear teeth). I'm pretty sure this part is ACDELCO 1572811 {#88892975} RockAuto has this part for $46.79. http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=340105&cc=1424281&jsn=473&jsn=473

3. Only unheated air comes from the roof vents. I THINK maybe that these are also controlled by the blend door actuator, but I'm not sure - or maybe the rear one - or is this another problem? Does anyone know?

I've been reading the threads on Trailvoy ever since we got our first TB (used in 2008), and you all are a FONT of knowledge. Because of the forums, we've been able to deduce (and fix) the problem with our A/C and stalling - to needing to clean the Throttle Body; we've been able to replace the Window arm regulator; diagnose and repair the shift arm controller; the upper ball joint, and more! I can't thank you all enough. I think I've only posted once, but read quite a bit. So, if anyone can chime in to verify the parts for 1 and 2, and have any information for 3, I would greatly appreciate it!

My husband and both work on the vehicle, but I do all the online research (he's mechanically savvy, but not computer savvy). He's got a code reader, if that will help diagnose the problem. We used to have a 2004 TB EXT LS (more basic model) but someone rear-ended us and it got totaled last year. Insurance covered a full replacement - same year, almost the same mileage (135,000), but a higher-end model with the digital climate control (LT). We do all the repairs ourselves, and keep it running smoothly. He likes the Chevy to work on much better than our old Ford, and this forum has been a God-send!
It sounds like you are on the right track. I ended up cutting brackets under my dash to get access to it.

My rear mode control actuator went out at about the same time as well. Take the rear belt shoulder strap off and remove the whole back side interior panel to get access to the rear ac/heat system. For me it was easier than the front.

Good luck

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
I'm experiencing this problem. I have a 2008...is there any difference underneath that I should be aware of before diving in?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
45 Posts
I hope someone can help before I start tearing into/spending money on this.

I noticed a few days ago that I'm victim to the "Heat only on driver side" thing. I've never heard any clicking when adjusting temps. Where I live we have had temps in the single digits, both plus and minus, so I don't know exactly when it happened. After reading several threads here, I am assuming it's the actuator problem, however, during those cold temps, I parked, went into a store, and when I came out and started my 2002, I smelled that electronics/wires-are-burning smell for about 20 seconds, which went away when I pulled out and opened the windows for a moment. Beside me was a very old truck, and I sort of thought that maybe it was coming from it. But maybe it was coming from inside my dash.

My question is, do actuators, like maybe the tiny motors in them, burn out and smell like this? I ask because in my 2002, whenever I slid the heat up sliders up to hottest, (I have manual knobs to turn, no auto-temp stuff), the air would then slightly blow up out of the defrost at the windshield. I've just assumed that this is a feature programmed into the vehicle, Chevy thinking that if you need that much heat, you need some on the windshield. Is that correct? Also, could that smell have come from the control box where I select temps, fan speeds etc? I ask because know if I slide the heat all the way on on the driver side, the air does NOT slightly go up to the defrost. Sliding the passenger side all the way up to heat DOES make the air go slightly to defrost. I think I read here that the door and actuator for defrost is separate from the rest of the doors/actuators. Could something have happened to my control box? I never had any clicking from changing the temp. I do have clicking when I go from any other position back to vents only, and I know that the mode actuator is messed up because I've never gotten straight air flow from the vents and I never get any air flow on my feet.

I'm thinking I have a couple of actuators to replace, but I can live with the mode one being like it is for a good while. I do not want to live with heat out the left side because summer will come and it will be hot here.

So, any possibility it's the box where the controls are?

EDIT: I just realized that maybe the actuator died a couple of weeks ago. It's been very cold in KY for a good few weeks, and a couple of weeks ago I took mine in for a water pump replacement to a local shop where I live. I'm betting they disconnected the battery as standard operations, and when that happened, the temps were in the 20's F and went down from there. I never took it off of heat until a few days ago when the temp finally went back up. If it died then, I would have never noticed. But I still want to know if it could be the control box, as like I said, I smelled that familiar burnt electronics smell for a little bit.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
2 Posts
Could someone please tell me what the white plastic thing the blend door actuator attatchs to. Mine snapped off when removing the actuator!

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
Driver side blend door actuator

Can I email or phone KJ. SUNTAN VALLEY
he had excellent fix procedures but I still am confused

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just thought I'd share what I just found out regarding this issue:

My left side blend stopped working. Most people here said it would be the actuator. I went to three garages and they all told me that it was the actuator.

I've noticed that EVERY time I either turn my key to run, or start my 2002, all the actuators go through a test. I can hear them all doing their thing so that they are properly set. (Also, I've been driving all summer with the vents turned off on the driver side as it is stuck on heat.)

I thought about spending $600+ to have some shop fix it. I also thought about bypassing the heater core, though I thought that the air coming out wouldn't be as cold as it would be if the blend door worked.

Then, I thought about that test that all the actuators do when I turn on the car. So, I drove the car around for about 10 minutes so that the engine was up to temp. I then opened one of the driver-side vents, and restarted the car. Hot air came out at first, but during the test, it went to ice cold for a few moments, then back to hot. That means that the actuator is working FINE.
It's the temp controller that went bad. I remember when this happened...I smelled that "hot electronics burning" smell.

I plan on going to the junkyard and getting a new controller AFTER I take out the unit that controls this to make sure it's not just some wire burned up.

My point is that it's NOT always the actuator. It could be something else, and my test just proved this.

Thanks for reading........if anyone is indeed reading.....................rob

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
83 Posts
Please post your results. Earlier this year, I thought I had an actuator fail. The symptoms were drivets side blowing warm air. With just a hint of cool mixed in. Passenger side blowing cold air. I ended up getting the system recharged professionally and the system works great now. So as you said, it's not always the actuator.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I will indeed post the results. You have an '05, so I think that maybe that means your system is a bit different than mine. My mom has a car that has an A/C system that shuts off the driver's side if the coolant level gets too low. Mine is not like that. All air goes through the same evaporator coil, I THINK. Other cars I've dealt with seem to have separate coils, and if the coolant level gets to low, it shuts off flow to one of the evaporators. I do not think this is true in my 2002, but I'm not sure. The real issue is that there is now no control on the left side, and since I've done that test, I am absolutely sure that it's just the controller that's keeping the blend from going to cold, especially since I felt it go ice cold during the start-up test. I remember from my mom's car that the driver-side would go warm until I topped it off with refrigerant, and this is a totally different system failure.

Again, I'll report the results, but I am 99% sure of my problem due to the above mentioned test.

Thanks for responding.

.........rob

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a "controller" from a junkyard to replace in my dash. I have searched this site, but I am not finding a thread that shows how to take the dash apart to replace the A/C controller.

IF anyone is still out there, could you paste a link that shows the easiest way to replace the A/C controller?

I would very much appreciate it. I'd rather read about it before I just tear into it.

Thanks............rob

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
83 Posts
Are you looking to replace climate control?.here is a link for that. m.youtube.com/watch?v=WLdz-DK63sE

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1 Posts
I did it too!

Thanks for the excellent write-up. I replaced the actuator on my wife's '02 Envoy yesterday... $140 at O'Reilly's... The only deviation for me was that I removed the metal dash bracket in front of the actuator (seen in pictures 5-7, I believe, in your write-up), so I had easy access to remove and replace the actuator without doing any disassembly of it (the actuator).

With patience (and a 1/4" drive mini air-ratchet with a short extension and a 10mm socket) it's not too bad.

With the cooler weather setting in (finally) in Chandler Heights, AZ, my wife was none too happy that she couldn't get heat on her feet on her way to work in the mornings. She's now a happy girl!

azwarner

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just to update. Yes I know it’s a old thread

2008 Envoy
I removed the two exposed nuts.
Reached around the back and removed the lower bolt.
Grabbed the bracket and bent it.
I was able to R&R the actuator.
eBay part was $14

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here is the update I promised on this old post. Guess what? I never replaced the controller. Here is what happened for me. I had plugged in a USB brick to the power outlet that is right by the cig lighter just about the time all of this happened. One day, I was sitting in the car bored and was going through the AM stations on the radio (a thing I do since I've always been interested in short-wave radio and at night, one can pick up short-wave transmissions at the very upper end of the AM "dial". I was also going through each click of the tuner because when conditions are right, one can pick up AM stations many states away at night. I found a station that seems to be simply transmitting a carrier only. I happened to bump a part of the dashboard and I got a sharp arcing sound. I tapped here and there and got that loud arc sound. I then looked down at the USB adapter that was plugged in and I only did this because when I have a phone charger cord plugged into this, the FM reception goes in and out while the phone is charging. Weird. So, back to hearing this arcing on AM, I unplug the charging brick and the dead carrier sound goes away, regular AM static comes back and when I hit the dash, no more arcing sound. I then thought to test the left side temp blend control and what do you know??...it works now. Up for heat, down for cold and all in between. The reason I even did this was because of what I typed up above, how when I started this car it would go through a test of all actuators, and the left side would go from hot to cold and back to hot within the first several seconds of starting the car. It doesn't seem to do this now that I pulled that brick out of the power outlet. Maybe it was shorting the controller out for the left side?? Maybe it was a coincidence, but I don't think so. If that actuator died, either from its motor or its crappy plastic gears, I don't it would just come back to life at the same time I pulled that brick, plus I KNOW it wasn't dead because of all the actuators going through their "home" tests and feeling cold air during said tests.

Just info for those who might run across it.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts