Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt_xl
1 Posts
This is all great advise! I have a 2006 Envoy with the same issue of GMC blocking the center of that damn bracket to block the upper bolt. I'll get the drill out and watch for that large cluster of wires, thanks to all for the fantastic pictures. My shop manual doesn't cover anything regarding actuators so this has been very educational.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
4 Posts
Well, after reading all these threads plus 50 related threads, this is my plan to fix: luke warm air on driver side and cold as should be on passenger side. Just a note that I had the ac compressor replaced last week and system evacuated and recharged. I noticed the "new" problem as I drove home in 90d heat from the shop.

1. Recalibrate couple of times (fuses removal). Failing that...
2. Go back to the shop that replaced compressor and have them re-check pressures and fill. Failing that...
3. Start drilling big holes under the dash and replace the driver side temperature actuator. :hopeless

Thanks for the great write-ups in these threads and wonderfull pics. They will come in very handy soon.:thx 2005 Envoy XL, 4.2L

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
4 Posts
Just called my mechanic to arrange for pressure test and possible refill. Guess what he said!!!!! He remembers that he refilled my system to the short wheelbase specs!!!! That is why it blows slightly worm air out of driver side. Long wheelbase XL has an extra evaporator/heat exchanger in the back and therefore requires more refrigerant!!!

I hope this is the end of my problem and so I won't have to crawl under my dash and drill big holes!!!!!!:woohoo:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
8 Posts
Driver Temp Actuator FIXED!! SUCCESS

I just wanted to take the time to thank everyone in this thread for their input!!

02 LTZ 4.2 150k, Dual Climate Control

The climate control has always been a little weird in my truck and would sometimes go haywire but normally shutting the truck off and starting it back up would fix the problem.

The other day at lunch, it was in the 30s out (F), but the truck was BAKING in the sun, so the interior was probably around 90 degrees. When I first started it, it tried to naturally blast cold air because it was left on "Auto." I quickly shut it off and this quick action is where I think the actuator fried.

Result: Only cold air came out of the driver side (floor/dash/defrost vents, didnt matter, so the MODE actuator was fine). The passenger side was doing its own thing so I knew that side would be fine.

After poking around, i found this thread, removed the kick panels and what not, took the cover off the actuator, and grabbed my test light. I had power at the plug going into the actuator, but the wires that come out of the circuit board that power the motor were DEAD. ding ding ding!

In my rush to get the part out, I snapped the plastic white shaft that connects to the door, and then read up on how impossible that is to replace without taking the dash out (shoulda read it first). Stupid, but thats how we learn.

Anyway, Locktite plastic weld took care of that, one kid who worked at the home depot claimed that he pressure tested that same type of plastic weld on some plastic piece he had from something and it took until 3200 lbs of pressure to break the adhesive, so this tiny blend door shouldnt be a problem.

Anyway, dealer wanted $190 for the actuator, rock auto said $36. Got the part, put it in (#36 fuse out the whole time), and now my feet are warm again.

Thank you to all who contributed to this thread with photos or advice, it really saved so much time which is great since i dont have a driveway (boston street kept).

Save that $$$$!!

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
62 Posts
I just unplugged mine, using heat and A/C on your feet isnt really nessessary in toronto lol just window defrost

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
1 Posts
Just finished my driver side actuator

Hello, I am new to the forum but wanted to say thank you for the info on replacing my actuator! (I only had cold to the drivers side, passenger side worked fine...)

I had to remove the metal bracket completely, with 2 10mm nuts on the left, one 7mm screw and 2 10mm bolts going into the bracket from the rear on the right side. I suppose I only got this done because of my very small hands, but it worked! I pulled the screws out, and pulled the actuator off... I decided to test it so I turned the key on and it moved back and forth once, I assume in an attempt to calibrate. I grabbed the shaft under the dash which the actuator moves, and it was stuck in place! I turned it clockwise and it popped loose (sounded like the face of the flap inside was sticky) and it moves freely now. I went ahead and reinstalled the old actuator and it worked fine, but I had already purchased a new AC delco unit brand new for $37 so I just replaced it anyway. It works great now and hope it continues.

Thanks again! I have some other issues that I will be looking up on trailvoy, I hope to fix everything very soon!

Larry:)

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
7 Posts
Just finished my Driver Temperature Actuator too!

I just wanted to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH for this very descriptive set of instructions. The must difficult thing for me was getting the new Actuator lined up with the position the door was in from the old broken part. I had to plug in the new one and go all the way to heat...then eyeball and mark the position it needed to be in, then turn the ignition on and go all cold and watching it until it hit the mark. A little trial and error but it worked.

I initially manually trying to turn the door to match the position of the new one would be easier but I couldn't get a grip on it and it was not that easy to move.

Hope my rookie challenges may help someone else.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
I just swapped mine out today with a junk yard $5 replacement, also swapped out the one that controls the vent exhaust as it was stuck blowing air on my face regardless if position... I did notice the defrost actuators don't stay still, the are constantly moving back and forth?

i removed by bracket in my 2002 with a pair of tin snips.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
3 Posts
Replaced actuator, still have problem

Just got done replacing the lower actuator as described above in my 2005 Envoy XUV. When I started the vehicle, and turned on the AC, it seemed like now it was straight heat out the drivers side and AC out the passenger side. Prior to the replacement it was only a bit warmer than the AC and eventually caught up when in recycle mode.
I shut off the AC to cycle it, thinking a few times might be what it needs to calibrate. When I did that I heard that same familiar clicking sound for about 10 seconds or so as it was before. I turned it back on then off again watching the actuator, there was no rotating of the shaft going on, so I reached up inside and found the upper actuator. While cycling the power on/off again and touching the upper actuator, I found that it is the one making the clicking noise.

Does this mean:

I replaced the wrong actuator?

I have a bad new part?

I messed up the new one during install?

It was quite a smooth installation once I figured out how to line up the shaft with the actuator. So I don't believe I caused any physical damage to the unit.
I did not disconnect the battery or pull any fuses prior to the change, but made sure everything was powered off as in the minimal instructions that came with unlabeled, unpackaged, "Dorman" replacement part.

Any advise or comments welcome.
Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
3 Posts
...and now it's working

Well, I left it over night due to a down pour of rain, switching to indoor mode for rest of yesterday.

Decided to take another look at the upper actuator that seems to be the noise maker, to see what it would take to get to and replace. After removing the accelerator pedal (only 2 nuts and 1 bolt) and sliding it aside, you can see the actuator (actually saw 2 more up in there:duh:)....doesn't look fun....especially when it comes to lining up the shaft with the actuator upon reassembly.
At that point I started the vehicle to verify the offending actuator, as now as I mentioned above, there are 2 up in there!

I put my fingers on the 2 higher up and cycled through different settings and turned the system on and off, going between heat and ac, and all the actuators were moving, including the new lower one that wasn't moving yesterday.
The temp coming out both the drivers side and the passenger side feel pretty close to the same.....nice!:excited:

The upper one still clicks for about 10-15 seconds when you shut off the system, but everything appears to be working, so I just noted the part number of the upper unit and put everything back together.

That bracket that gives everybody the headache went back in smoothly once I drilled out the spot welds holding the inner reinforcing channel in place, and removing the weldon nuts. I was able to use the original bolts and the salvaged weldon nuts to secure the bracket running the bolts through from the front, there is access through the side you can get a 1/4 u-joint & extension with your 10mm socket in there easily.

This is a great forum, I have saved a ton of $$$ doing my own repairs with help from you guys on a few occasions....thanks a lot!!

:thx :thx :thx
Bill

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

HOLY CRAP! I can not thank you enough for this post. My '02 trailblazer was blowing out hot on the drivers side and cold on the passenger side. I researched it and came up with it being the actuator, but that's all I could find. No instructions or pictures. I would have hated going in blindly. But I found this post and it saved the day. Exact same car as mine, and very detailed instructions and the pictures helped a ton. Even the mountain dew was a big help! Arizona in august sucks for the middle of the day. And success! It worked and my problem is currently fixed. With my car being at 160,000 miles and growing, I'm sure I'll have to replace more soon, but for now it is fixed and I thank you so much for this much needed help!

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
4 Posts
thanks for the info and writeup. I just did this tonight on my '03 enovy, and when I got the actuator out, I changed the temp settings in the vehicle. the actuator moved and seemed to be working fine. I put everything back.
my problem is hot air coming out the driver's side, cold air on the passenger and rear. I can sometimes get cold air out of the driver's side, but maybe 1 time out of 10. when it does stop working again, there is a very obvious *clunk* sound, almost like a damper or something is getting stuck in position and doesn't do anything but send hot air until it gets worked free again. does this sound plausible and what is the solution? thanks.

p.s. about a week ago there was no air whatsoever moving from any front vents. I replaced the control module (http://amzn.com/B0016IMSB4) and it fixed that problem.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
4 Posts
same problem but actuator seems ok?

I am having the problem of driver's side hot air when it's set to cool. I removed the temp actuator per this thread and it seems to turn appropriately with temp changes from the electronic dial. I put it back in as is. I still have the problem, but it is intermittent with no apparent rhyme or reason. I do notice that when it is blowing cool, then goes to hot, there is a noticeable thunk, almost like a damper or something is falling/getting stuck in the heat position and can't move until it somehow resets. I have removed the 34 underseat fuse but the problem is still there intermittently. thoughts?

also, I just replaced the control module per this site because I was getting no air whatsoever from the front blower. that problem was fixed and now this one cropped up.

http://amzn.com/B0016IMSB4

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
1 Posts
I just replaced the actuator because of no temp control on the drivers side. I still get no movement out of the new actuator. Could the temp control knob itself be bad?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
12 Posts
Blend Door Actuator Won't Come out

For about a year my driver's side dash vents on my '04 TB have been blowing hot when the AC is on. I decided to dive in and try to fix it. I have the dash panels removed but cannot get the actuator out. The screws are out. I have been wiggling the actuator in various positions but it won't release. I can't see it but it seems like it won't release from the shaft. Any suggestions? Do I need to mangle the bracket to get clearance? Any help would be appreciated. It is June in South Carolina so it's hot and getting hotter.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
58 Posts
For about a year my driver's side dash vents on my '04 TB have been blowing hot when the AC is on. I decided to dive in and try to fix it. I have the dash panels removed but cannot get the actuator out. The screws are out. I have been wiggling the actuator in various positions but it won't release. I can't see it but it seems like it won't release from the shaft. Any suggestions? Do I need to mangle the bracket to get clearance? Any help would be appreciated. It is June in South Carolina so it's hot and getting hotter.
I had the same problem. It took some pulling force but I got it. It's splined on, work it.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
Don't hack your dash!

I was thrilled to find this post, then tore into mine and noticed a slight variation in the metal bracket in the dash. GM blocked access to the upper screw at some point in time. See my pic. I noticed you guys have 2002's and mine is a 2006.

I am now debating if I should drill a 1/2" or so hole in it to get access to the upper screw. And then would I still have clearance to get the actuator out/in?

Anyway to get around this piece?
I just replaced my actuator and ran in to the same problem! I have on 08' TB LT. There are 2 nuts and 2 bolts that hold that metal bracket on, if you take those out and pull on the plastic dash piece, you can pull the metal bracket out of the way just enough to get to the top screw that holds the actuator in place.

I know this is an old post but it definaitley helped me out! So just wanted to put my :m2: in! Hope this helps anyone else before hacking their dash!:chillpill:

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
72 Posts
I just took my 05 to pep boys due to ac blowing cool not cold air. 1400 dollars later they replace everything that has to do with the ac on my envoy. I got it back blowing ok air on the drivers side and cold air on the passenger side. Don't want to spend more money, question is how do I know it's a bad actuator. Is there a way to test it b4 buying a new one.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
122 Posts
Their is a temp door actuator that needs to be calibrated. I had one vent blowing warm air and the adjacent vent blowing cold air. Replaced the actuator and GM tech calibrated it.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts