2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SYMPTONS:
1.Car pulls to the left
2.Vibration/Light Growling around 40MPH
3.Shakes at 80MPH
4.Rubbing noise from Drivers side wheel well turning right or left
5.Left and right tires squeal around every turn.

FIXES:
A.Balanced all tires and inflated to exact tire inflation.
a.No difference anywhere. The garage said, one of my rims may be a little warped. He also said the wheels needed to be balanced.

B.Wheel Alignment
a.(1) Improvement in the car pulling left, still pulls slightly to the left

C.Replaced all four ball joints
a.(5) Drastic improvement in the squealing of the front two tires. {Still have a little squealing in the front left tire}

D.Replaced driver’s side hub assembly
a.(4) Rubbing noise gone. Feels smooth turning left or right. (Passenger side replaced at 90K miles)
b.(1) Truck shoots perfectly straight now.

E.Switched front and back driver’s side tires with each other.
a.No difference.

So, I still have Symptoms (2, 3 & 5). I have 58K miles on the tires that is rated for 60K miles (Good Year Fortera HL - 245/65R17)
So, can anyone help me in coming up solutions? Should I replace the front axle? I’m going to put new tires on soon, but I don’t think that will solve the squealing problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
I would try and get them or another shop to verify the bad wheel. You can't really balance a wheel on it's own. Tire balancing will take care of that unless the wheel is real bad. Maybe get the alignment rechecked. Did you get a printout

Does any shaking or vibration happen between 40 and 80?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Describe the squealing around turns - what pitch, is it constant, and does the wheel jerk?
Sounds like when someone peels tire. It's really when I'm going on or off a ramp on the interstate or a hard right turn.. If I really step on it through the turn I can really get it to sing. This is only making right turns. I would have to be going a lot faster through a turn to make the left tire sing when I'm making a left turn. It's definitely the tire, I just don't know what's causing it.

No wheel jerks. It used to be really embarrasing :eek: when the ball joints were bad. Every turn!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
346 Posts
If it's just squealing around turns, that's usually indicative of a tire problem. How worn are they? Did they give you a print out of your before/after alignment?

Also agree with roadie, try what he says.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would try and get them or another shop to verify the bad wheel. You can't really balance a wheel on it's own. Tire balancing will take care of that unless the wheel is real bad. Maybe get the alignment rechecked. Did you get a printout

Does any shaking or vibration happen between 40 and 80?
Got the print-out and everything was in green. I watched the whole process and watched him torch the "inner cv axle nut" to get it to move.

No vibrations between 40mph and 80mph. 40mph feels like a growling/rough sound. 80mph feels like bad balance.

I'll get the alignment check.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You could have inadvertent 4WD activation. Does it get worse if you engage the system in 4HI mode? Or the same. Did you change the transfer case fluid at 50K miles as recommended?
All fluids changed recently, <25K miles ago. It doesn't feel like a tightening of something; like 4WD does. I've accidentally left it in 4HI when I've pulled into a parking lot trying to make a turn, NOT a good sound.:no: This is not the sound.

I wonder if I should retighten the lower ball joint nut???

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did this just pop up as it's gotten colder outside?
No, I've been working on this over the past 3 months. Takes time to make the repairs and moolah.:dielaugh:

Keep asking...I'll keep answering until I can try to do something to get it fixed.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
My money is on the tires. Some tread designs get noisy as they wear and will create hums, growl or other noise. If there alignment was off, which may be since an aligment helped the pulling left, it may have caused damage to the radial belts in the tire which can result in vibrations above certain speeds and noise.

Does the vibration seem to be front to back or side to side? Side to side usually results from a bad tire, rim or gross imbalance. A slight blance issues usually generates a front to back vibration in the steering wheel.

I also have to ask, did you have it re-aligned after installing the new ball-joints and other suspension components? (Ball-joints affect alignment, so if the alignment was done prior, it needs to be done again.....sorry).

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My money is on the tires. Some tread designs get noisy as they wear and will create hums, growl or other noise. If there alignment was off, which may be since an aligment helped the pulling left, it may have caused damage to the radial belts in the tire which can result in vibrations above certain speeds and noise.

Does the vibration seem to be front to back or side to side? Side to side usually results from a bad tire, rim or gross imbalance. A slight blance issues usually generates a front to back vibration in the steering wheel.

I also have to ask, did you have it re-aligned after installing the new ball-joints and other suspension components? (Ball-joints affect alignment, so if the alignment was done prior, it needs to be done again.....sorry).
I didn't pay close attention to the front and back or side to side vibration. I will on my way home and I'll report back.

I have a 3 year Alignment packaged with NTB, so anytime I notice any kind of pulling I get it aligned. After I did the ball joints I got it aligned.

I'm going to pull the wheel on Friday and tighten the lower ball joint nut see if it's loose. Hopefully that might stop the squeal.

I'm also going to put money on the tires as the source of the noise. I need to get past 60K miles, so that I don't have buyer's remorse:sadcry: on those tires.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
Are the ball joints greasable? I've gottem some at work that are a nightmare for them to take grease. They don't properly get greased internally for some reason. Now I have to tell people to come back in a few days to shoot some more grease in them just to be safe.

You can also throw the spare on the right front and see if the noise changes.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are the ball joints greasable? I've gottem some at work that are a nightmare for them to take grease. They don't properly get greased internally for some reason. Now I have to tell people to come back in a few days to shoot some more grease in them just to be safe.

You can also throw the spare on the right front and see if the noise changes.
I put Moog Ball Joints on with the Zerk fittings and greased them. This was the first time I've ever greased anything on the car and I over greased the boot. For two months now the grease has been oozing out. The garage guy said it wasn't a big deal and it would just come out on its own.

Put the spare tire on the "right" front? I guess if the right tire is to blame, then it may be causing the left tire to squeal?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
It's more up and down vibration. It's really hard to tell. I have to drive 50 miles to and from work, so I paid attention to it last night and this morning, but I can only tell you that the steering wheel along with the floor boards vibrate.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did a back to front tire rotation and air in all 4 were a little low, pumped it up to 32PSI and squeal is gone. I can still get it to squeal around turns on both sides, but that's going way too fast for the turn.

I still have vibration at 40-50 MPH. I hope it doesn't have anything to do with the transmission, you know shifting down? I have to check to see if I still have the vibration if I put it into neutral.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: Same issues, noise and vibration between 25 - 50 MPH. In all gears, neutral, and even going down a hill with the truck off in neutral.

No noise when it's not underload. Had it on a lift going 50MPH and down to 25MPH couldn't hear the noise.

The dealership looked at and couldn't find where the noise nor vibration was coming from. They did acknowledge the noise and vibration as I went on a roadtest with them. The dealer said, "Ah, it's not bad. Let's wait and see if it gets worse, then we'll be able to find it." Uh, that's not the route I want to take...e.g. "Something blown up, parts flying everywhere, multiple vehicle accident in the middle of winter snow storm." OK the picture I painted is quite Envoy-Apocalyptic, but you get the point.

I did the following things: drained and refilled the differentials, new tires and balanced and aligned again. (And before this new hub/bearings)

It really feels like it's from the front D/S. Another buddy of mine said it felt like the front P/S. :confused:

Looking for some guidance, should I pull the axles and look inside the differential? What should I look for? Should replace some bearings inside the diff? Is that possible?

Thanks in advance. I want to get this fixed soon, so I don't have to work on it while it's snowing outside.

·
Registered
chevy trailblazer_ls
68 Posts
I still say it's time to replace the tires. Every set of tires that I wore down would start be 'noisey' and squeal around corners especially cloverleafs. Replace the tires and all was good again.

You have got near the life they were rated for, nothing to be remorseful...keep in mind rating depend on alot of factors.

After you get the tires replaced try it again. Perhaps the passenger side hub assembly is going bad.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did the following things: drained and refilled the differentials, new tires and balanced and aligned again. (And before this new hub/bearings)

I still say it's time to replace the tires. Every set of tires that I wore down would start be 'noisey' and squeal around corners especially cloverleafs. Replace the tires and all was good again.

You have got near the life they were rated for, nothing to be remorseful...keep in mind rating depend on alot of factors.

After you get the tires replaced try it again. Perhaps the passenger side hub assembly is going bad.
Maybe in my rant, you missed that part. I put on a new set, the squeal has definitely stopped even around sharp turns, but the vibration/noise is still there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.