Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Envoy SLT with 100k miles. When I come to a complete stop, I hear a clunking noise right after the vehicle completely stops.

The best way I can describe it: when you slow down, the weight shifts to the front of the vehicle and it dips down. Once you come to a complete stop, the weight shifts back and the vehicle levels out. In this transition period, as the vehicle levels out, I hear a clunking noise. I don't think its the transmission (2-1 downshift) because it happens after the vehicle is stopped completely.

Can anyone offer some advice on what this could be?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
708 Posts
It sounds like your U-Joints may need replacing. They wear out over time and tend to make the noise you're descibing. Try checking those out and let us know what you find out. :thumbsup: Goodluck

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like your U-Joints may need replacing. They wear out over time and tend to make the noise you're descibing. Try checking those out and let us know what you find out. :thumbsup: Goodluck
Thanks for the quick response! Is there a good way to tell if they are going bad before replacing them? I tried moving the drive shaft around by hand but it didn't seem to have much play..?

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
You should put the vehicle in gear and let it roll forward slightly listening for any noise such as clanking or clunking when the trasmission engages. Repeat the same in the Reverse gear. The best way to know for sure is to have it visually inspected on a lift. There may be some movement in the transaxle, however, there shouldn't be any acceptable and/or noticeable movement in the universal-joint-to-yoke connection.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should put the vehicle in gear and let it roll forward slightly listening for any noise such as clanking or clunking when the trasmission engages. Repeat the same in the Reverse gear. The best way to know for sure is to have it visually inspected on a lift. There may be some movement in the transaxle, however, there shouldn't be any acceptable and/or noticeable movement in the universal-joint-to-yoke connection.
Didn't hear any clunking when shifting it between drive and reverse. I put it in 1st, drove a little bit, then stopped, and it did it. So I think that pretty much eliminates transmission issues I would say.

Its hard to tell, but I want to say its coming from the back half of the vehicle. Could it have something to do with the shocks/springs in the rear?

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I still say it's the U-Joints if it's making a noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. Does it make the noise when going over bumps because that's a sign of bad Sway Bar End Links. If it doesn't then have someone at a shop put it on a lift and check the U-Joints. Shouldn't cost to much for them just to check them.

·
Banned
2007 chevy
4,644 Posts
I still say it's the U-Joints if it's making a noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. Does it make the noise when going over bumps because that's a sign of bad Sway Bar End Links. If it doesn't then have someone at a shop put it on a lift and check the U-Joints. Shouldn't cost to much for them just to check them.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't noticed anything going over bumps but i'll pay more attention in the next day or so and see what I can hear. Can a visual inspection be done on the Sway Bar End Links? What would I look for?

Thanks

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
122 Posts
I have a 2005 Envoy SLT with 100k miles. When I come to a complete stop, I hear a clunking noise right after the vehicle completely stops.

The best way I can describe it: when you slow down, the weight shifts to the front of the vehicle and it dips down. Once you come to a complete stop, the weight shifts back and the vehicle levels out. In this transition period, as the vehicle levels out, I hear a clunking noise. I don't think its the transmission (2-1 downshift) because it happens after the vehicle is stopped completely.

Can anyone offer some advice on what this could be?

Thanks
Drive shaft yoke binding where it slides in and out of the transfer case -

years ago there was a grease fitting in drive shaft yokes to prevent this problem - now that vehicles are designed by accountants instead of engineers many parts are sealed and lubed for life - translation - we saved 10 cents eliminating that grease fitting, you figure out what to do when it starts making noise.

Not sure if the accountants figure the transfer case oil would keep that yoke lubed or not - you may have to drop the drive shaft - grease the splines in the yoke and re install - tape the caps on the universal joints so they don't fall off and have you chasing needle bearings and have a pan under the transfer case in case any fluid comes out.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ahhh yes, our wonderful "slip-yoke stopped at a red light and feel like you got bumped" issue! :bonk:

The dealerships solution was to grease up the yoke. This would cure 95% of the problem. There is a TSB out for this issue, IIRC.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahhh yes, our wonderful "slip-yoke stopped at a red light and feel like you got bumped" issue! :bonk:

The dealerships solution was to grease up the yoke. This would cure 95% of the problem. There is a TSB out for this issue, IIRC.
yeah, that's been the census while doing my research around the web.

whats a TSB? (sorry, new here)

·
Registered
438 Posts
yeah, that's been the census while doing my research around the web.

whats a TSB? (sorry, new here)
My apologies! Technical Service Bulletins are issued by manufacturers when they find a common problem with a high incidence of occurring exists. Its not a recall, its just the manufacturer recognizing that the problem might occur and technicians or DIY mechanics (with a paid subscription to Alldata usually OR if you are a member of trailvoy - its free!) can look up to see if a TSB is available with any possible remedy to said problem. TSB's will sometimes have new updated part #'s and troubleshooting information.

Needless to say, our trucks have a LOT of TSB's. :bonk:

You can view the TSB's on Trailvoy here

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My apologies! Technical Service Bulletins are issued by manufacturers when they find a common problem with a high incidence of occurring exists. Its not a recall, its just the manufacturer recognizing that the problem might occur and technicians or DIY mechanics (with a paid subscription to Alldata usually OR if you are a member of trailvoy - its free!) can look up to see if a TSB is available with any possible remedy to said problem. TSB's will sometimes have new updated part #'s and troubleshooting information.

Needless to say, our trucks have a LOT of TSB's. :bonk:

You can view the TSB's on Trailvoy here
thanks for the clarification! do you know how difficult this is? is there another thread that has some steps and pictures? or would i be better off bringing it to a repair shop?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bump, has this been put into a how-to or anything? THis is exactly the issue I found testing a used vehicle tonight. If it is something simple, I plan to buy the vehicle. I was concerned about transmission issues but if it is something as simple as this sounds, I would be able to use it for leverage!

Its an 03 SLE by the way.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
I recently bought an 04 tb. Immediately joined the site, and started reading and contemplating the few things I may want to fix or change. It wasn't long untill I felt this bump when coming to a complete stop.. I know exactly what all of you guys are talking about I had it clear as day and at first( I hadn't read abt this situation yet) I thought it was the trans having a harsh 2-1 downshift and it's after you're completely stopped which really bothered me when thinking it was the trans. I was bummed because it shifts great otherwise.. (93k miles) soo I searched everything you could possibly find related to this online... And only one single guy mentioned that he had the rear drained and refilled and it solved his problem. I took him as not knowing what the bump ever was.. Maybe he thought he had it but wasn't feeling what the rest of us are.. So I'm searching through every forum and pricing potential parts and in the mean while they were calling for snow so I had the front diff transfer case and rear diff serviced.. I have no level spots anywhere in my entire property.. I'm plenty capable of popping plugs out to do this myself.. But what am I going to do it in a parking lot to be level? No.. So .. I paid 300 for something I could've done myself for probably less then a quarter of that price. The bump never ever happened again. Gone... Try it for yourself, before you buy ujoints cv joints etc.. (My first post btw)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts