Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Vibration(clunk) in steering wheel

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  johnm 
#1 ·
I recently replaced the end links and sway bar bushings (front and rear) on my 04 Voy, I am still getting a vibration(clunk) in my steering wheel when hitting bumps. I've checked end links to make sure that the nuts have not come loose and tie rods/ball joints don't seem to have any play in them. Any ideas what could be the problem?

#2 ·
If you have be going along thinking that the oil in the front differential was lubricating the 4wd clutch that is on the right side of the oil pan, "i.e. the right differential carrier bearing" you may be in for a rude awakening. It turns out that if you read the service manual, that the carrier bearing has to be lubed with chassis grease separately from the front Diff. Otherwise, as what happened to me, the carrier bearing runs dry and the right axle shaft wears out the bearing and the cover plate ($285 for the outer cover, $15 for the seal, $20 for the bearing) then you might have to replace the axle because the bearing surface if ruined. Where doe is mention this in the owner's manual?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.