Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I had vibrations and a fan noise coming from the front end when i hit about 2800 rpm and wouldn't go away if i increased the rpm's, I checked it out and the clutch fan bearing was no good, so I replaced the clutch fan. After I replaced it, it felt better but the vibration and a fan sound came back (not as bad) at about 2800 rpm and ends at about 3400rpm and then sounds normal after 3400rpm. Hopefully this makes sense lol. Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,834 Posts
Please fill out the UserCP above and left.
You replaced the fan clutch but you did not repace the water pump. The fan clutch spins on the water pump shaft. The only other item that I would look at would be the damper pully.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please fill out the UserCP above and left.
You replaced the fan clutch but you did not repace the water pump. The fan clutch spins on the water pump shaft. The only other item that I would look at would be the damper pully.
I was thinking it was the waterpump too but would the vibration go away after a certain rpm? I checked the pulleys and they seem fine. So maybe I might have tp bite the bullet and replace the water pump because I don't know what else it could be.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
221 Posts
I get the same thing, however mine can do it at around 2krpm then goes away after shifting to 2nd, but then I noticed it happens even if I hit the slightest bumps almost sounds like something rattling off of something? No means of hi jacking your thread but thought maybe I was getting same thing as you??

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,834 Posts
I was thinking it was the waterpump too but would the vibration go away after a certain rpm? I checked the pulleys and they seem fine. So maybe I might have tp bite the bullet and replace the water pump because I don't know what else it could be.
When you grab the fan blades on opposite sides will it wiggle if you jiggle the blades? First clue the water pump bearings are going. You can loosen the serpentine belt and really check for looseness of the fan on the water pump shaft.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
2 Posts
I get the same thing, vibration around 2700 through to 3500, regardless of gear. :mad: Even at idle with the hood up, you can see the fan and hear it make an odd sound. Turn the engine off and wiggle the fan, and I can see the water pump pulley is the problem. I will replace when parts arrive tomorrow and update the post.:D It seems like its not that rare of an issue, and could be a potential issue should the bearing actually fail, and cause all sorts of damage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I get the same thing, vibration around 2700 through to 3500, regardless of gear. :mad: Even at idle with the hood up, you can see the fan and hear it make an odd sound. Turn the engine off and wiggle the fan, and I can see the water pump pulley is the problem. I will replace when parts arrive tomorrow and update the post.:D It seems like its not that rare of an issue, and could be a potential issue should the bearing actually fail, and cause all sorts of damage.
yeah sounds good, i never changed mine i did change the spark plugs and it helped a bit but its still there just not as bad which is weird lol.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
2 Posts
So change the water pump and all is quiet once again. I though about changing the centrifical fan assy based on many comments on this site, but have never heard the roars or experienced horrible fuel consumption (not that 22-24 mpg is good), so i have elected to wait and see. Happy to have a quiet engine again.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So change the water pump and all is quiet once again. I though about changing the centrifical fan assy based on many comments on this site, but have never heard the roars or experienced horrible fuel consumption (not that 22-24 mpg is good), so i have elected to wait and see. Happy to have a quiet engine again.:)
good stuff thanks for the info, looks like I'll have to change mine, hopefully it makes it to spring. lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.