Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve had my 08 LT with 166k miles taken to a few local mechanics and have had no success at locating the noise. It’s a chirp/ squeaking noise that seems to be directly related to however fast the wheel is rotating. It gets louder as the car gets faster, and won’t happen unless the cars been driving for a while and has had time to heat everything up. The brake pads are close to new and it’s not the shocks. It happens when the wheel is straight and to the right, but mostly goes away when the wheel is turned left. It’ll occasionally do it when turning left. Need some more ideas, feel free to chip in.

Edit: It’s seemed to completely switch sides on when it’ll stopped doing it. It will now stop doing it when turning right, and do it ?consistently when turning left. Ruling out the idea of shifting the cars weight affects it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Turning places thrust loads on bearings... in the case of most GM rear axles, that pressure is absorbed by the differential carrier bearings.

Any movement in or out of the axles, should be less than a slight clunk when you shake any wheel in and out with both rear wheels off the ground.

I'm pretty sure you have semi-floating rear axles... but I haven't had reason to pull mine and confirm that.

Still... any movement of the axles is not a good thing, and if you have lots of travel, things could rub (rotors to calipers, inner parking brake hardware to inner side of drum.... etc). That's why I suggested you look inside the parking brake area.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turning places thrust loads on bearings... in the case of most GM rear axles, that pressure is absorbed by the differential carrier bearings.

Any movement in or out of the axles, should be less than a slight clunk when you shake any wheel in and out with both rear wheels off the ground.

I'm pretty sure you have semi-floating rear axles... but I haven't had reason to pull mine and confirm that.

Still... any movement of the axles is not a good thing, and if you have lots of travel, things could rub (rotors to calipers, inner parking brake hardware to inner side of drum.... etc). That's why I suggested you look inside the parking brake area.
There was no metal flakes so nothing was rubbing. I can get both rear wheels off the ground and give them a shake and let you know what I find.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
I’ve had my 08 LT with 166k miles taken to a few local mechanics and have had no success at locating the noise. It’s a chirp/ squeaking noise that seems to be directly related to however fast the wheel is rotating. It gets louder as the car gets faster, and won’t happen unless the cars been driving for a while and has had time to heat everything up. The brake pads are close to new and it’s not the shocks. It happens when the wheel is straight and to the right, but mostly goes away when the wheel is turned left. It’ll occasionally do it when turning left. Need some more ideas, feel free to chip in.

Edit: It’s seemed to completely switch sides on when it’ll stopped doing it. It will now stop doing it when turning right, and do it ?consistently when turning left. Ruling out the idea of shifting the cars weight affects it.
I had a similar issue with my 06 TB 150,000 miles... Took it to my mechanic and he found that the thin metal heat shield around the rotor was rubbing on the wheel as it turned. He bent it out of the way with a screwdriver and that fixed the problem

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
42 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 06 TB 150,000 miles... Took it to my mechanic and he found that the thin metal heat shield around the rotor was rubbing on the wheel as it turned. He bent it out of the way with a screwdriver and that fixed the problem
I was going to say the same thing.That happened on my 2001 S-10 type Blazer. The shield rusted in such a way that it caught on something and a piece folded over and was hitting the rotor also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts