Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new to this site and thought that I would try asking you folks. Recently, my 2006 Trailblazer was making an odd somewhat nocking noise as I was driving home from work. Shortly after the noise began, the oil pressure went to zero and the engine seized up or shut down. I had it towed home and the mechanic who towed it said that it sounds like the oil pump went out. Can anyone tell me what this might cost to replace and if there are other possible expenses as a result of this? Can this affect the engine as well? Cost to repair the oil pump? Please help if you can as this is the only vehicle I have and I am in need of it for work, but I am not sure if this is going to force me into buying a different vehicle or if it can be repaired within reason.

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,239 Posts
If it is the oil pump, and this would have to be verified with testing, the cost is going to be fairly high (don't know the number) because in order to reach the pump, the oil pan needs to be removed. Because of the arrangement of the engine and front drive train in these trucks, removing the oil pan is a time consuming process.
As far as other things that might need repair or replacing because of loss of oil pressure, that will require further diagnosis. Damaged bearing is one area of concern. It depends a lot on how long the engine ran with no or little oil pressure.
Also, be aware that the oil pressure gauge on the 6 cylinder equipped truck does not indicate actual oil pressure. The oil pressure sensor is only a switch that activates at a certain threshold pressure, and the reading on the gauge is just a value established by the engine computer based on a software number.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information. It is helpful. I guess I will need to get it in to have the problem further diagnosed before knowing how big the problem is. I guess I am trying to get some idea of how much this could cost before taking it in. My hope is that they don't have to fix one thing to better determine if a bearing is damaged. This is just difficult since I have to have it towed to a garage somewhere.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts