Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 isuzu ascender
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so how much power should I expect to lose when towing? I was towing about 3,000 pounds total (trailer weight included) this past weekend and I noticed a huge loss in power. Climbing hills at 20 mph only, etc... Is this normal? I know the engine is working harder and the vehicle is pulling all that weight, but geesh... 20 mph? Any suggestions?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Your vehicle weighs in around 4200-4400 lbs, so just do the proportions with a 3000 pound trailer.

How's your air filter? What gear were you in? RPMs? What gear ratio is your differential?

·
Registered
2007 isuzu ascender
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have stock gear ratio.. Cant remember what they are off the top of my head. I was in Drive. 2500 rpms with the gas pedal floored. Air filter is a new K&N thanks to Blazerman07... :thumbsup:

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Something is not adding up. Twenty mph, 2500 rpm's, wot, and in drive. At that speed going wide open it should have down shifted to 1st. Unless I'm reading your posts wrong. Do you have any performance problems without the trailer? Any CEL's?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Should still be in warranty? Need to demonstrate the problem to the dealer so they can drive it with the tech tool hooked up.

Did you force a downshift to see what it would do in 1st gear?

·
Registered
2007 isuzu ascender
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tire pressure is fine. No trailer brakes.

I dont have any CEL's ever. I've always thought the vehicle wasn't as powerful as I thought it should be. I have no real idea of how to prove that to the dealer or anything though. Fuel mileage has been fine, air filter and throttle body is clean. I've ran some lucas fuel additive in it as well. No problems with acceleration but it just feels like the vehicle is holding back...

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Your vehicle weighs in around 4200-4400 lbs, so just do the proportions with a 3000 pound trailer.

How's your air filter? What gear were you in? RPMs? What gear ratio is your differential?
Hey Roadie.....I thought our trucks weighed more than that.....I was thinking in the range of 6000lbs...correct me if i am wrong???:undecided

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
37 Posts
If the trailer has brakes they may be dragging. I tow a 3000-3200 lb. boat motor and trailer from near Harrision City (Sunrise Estates) to Loyalhanna Reservior with no trouble. Easily gets up to 65 mph. I have also towed a 4700 lb TT from near Leechburg home and back to near Crooked Creek with no trouble.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts