Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
85 Posts
I almost thought about having this, or another, tune done. Now I remember why I didn't. I'm sure GM spent more time and money on developing these ECM/TCMs than a couple of guys with a laptop and a garage. I feel sorry for you knowing that you have to take a brand new vehicle back to the dealership to be fixed.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Jonzoso said:
I almost thought about having this, or another, tune done. Now I remember why I didn't. I'm sure GM spent more time and money on developing these ECM/TCMs than a couple of guys with a laptop and a garage. I feel sorry for you knowing that you have to take a brand new vehicle back to the dealership to be fixed.
If it's just bad gas it will fix itself with good gas and a little driving time. Not a big deal. If the oil companies delivered what they promise I wouldn't have a problem at all. I'll still probably go for the 91 tune though, just to leave more room for lower-than-advertised octanes and/or ethanol blends.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
106 Posts
Jonzoso said:
If it's bad gas then it doesn't matter who programmed it. My Lincoln LS would knock all the time on various stations 91+. I'm not sure that discounting a sponsors work is necessary in this case....

·
Registered
2007 gmc
11,894 Posts
Jonzoso said:

The program did not cause any damage. I too believe it is the gas. I have done the different gas test, some knocked others did fine. When you run a vehicle with a custom tune you should ALWAYS run the best gas possible. As far as the "tuners" go. They are FAR from being just two guys in a garage playing with a laptop. They have been doing this for years on many different types of vehicles. I know for a fact there are a good number of member who are running this tune without ANY problems. If any problems were going to creep up it would have happened when the BETA tune was being tested. Could the extra horsepower and torque damage something? You never know. SOme parts inherently have weaknesses. A flaw in the manufacturing? possibly. Does it sound as thought this is something damaged? No, the code simply states there was knocking sensed. Please do not degrade or belittle a site sponsor. They are here at their own free will. They help the site exsist.

If anyone has a question on the reliablility of the product a sponsor or anyone on here is selling, please PM them.

Thank you

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
3,716 Posts
Fishhunter911 said:
The program did not cause any damage. I too believe it is the gas. I have done the different gas test, some knocked others did fine. When you run a vehicle with a custom tune you should ALWAYS run the best gas possible. As far as the "tuners" go. They are FAR from being just two guys in a garage playing with a laptop. They have been doing this for years on many different types of vehicles. I know for a fact there are a good number of member who are running this tune without ANY problems. If any problems were going to creep up it would have happened when the BETA tune was being tested. Could the extra horsepower and torque damage something? You never know. SOme parts inherently have weaknesses. A flaw in the manufacturing? possibly. Does it sound as thought this is something damaged? No, the code simply states there was knocking sensed. Please do not degrade or belittle a site sponsor. They are here at their own free will. They help the site exsist.

If anyone has a question on the reliablility of the product a sponsor or anyone on here is selling, please PM them.

Thank you
:iagree: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
2,903 Posts
I can't think of any site sponsors who have been more informative or helpful than Chris (though the Westers guys were nice too). I'm convinced that it's not his product, and I would put my money on it being the gas. Some people had concerns with the knocking from the Westers tune that were solved by switching gas stations. :m2:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Silver SS said:
Besides the CEL coming on how does the tune feel? AWD or 2WD?
Nice! My truck is AWD. The 1-2 light-throttle shift is much better than the stock "slip-bang", though not exactly how I'd like it (kicks too much IMO). Overall driving is better. WOT pulls harder. Fuel mileage TBD yet. Other than the 1-2 shift I'm very satisfied! Now we'll just see if this low-octane problem clears up. If it doesn't I'll get a 91 tune and have them soften the 1-2 shift to feel more like the 2-3 shift.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
204 Posts
Regarding the comment about GM doing a better job than the "two guys with a laptop". GM has several issues in mind when doing a tune. They have to have it work with Low Octane, it has to have mild shifts for both tranny durability and customer acceptance issues, it has to run on a wide variety of gas because someone will ineveitbly buy 91 Octane from a marginal source and get bad gas, someone will fill it with 87 octane when gas is $4.00 a gallon, you get the point. They have a wide group to cover even though it is a performance vehicle. Those that are willing to go the extra mile to keep the good gas in it, and are willing to accept the firmer shifts, are the people Vector is catering to.

In the GrandPrix community it took YEARS for someone to come out with a GOOD tune like this. Now it comes out in mere months if not sooner! I'd say the GMT360 people don't know how good they have it in that respect! Luckily a lot was learned from that venture and the learnings hopefully will transfer to this tune!!

:)

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
steined said:
Regarding the comment about GM doing a better job than the "two guys with a laptop". GM has several issues in mind when doing a tune. They have to have it work with Low Octane, it has to have mild shifts for both tranny durability and customer acceptance issues, it has to run on a wide variety of gas because someone will ineveitbly buy 91 Octane from a marginal source and get bad gas, someone will fill it with 87 octane when gas is $4.00 a gallon, you get the point. They have a wide group to cover even though it is a performance vehicle. Those that are willing to go the extra mile to keep the good gas in it, and are willing to accept the firmer shifts, are the people Vector is catering to.

In the GrandPrix community it took YEARS for someone to come out with a GOOD tune like this. Now it comes out in mere months if not sooner! I'd say the GMT360 people don't know how good they have it in that respect! Luckily a lot was learned from that venture and the learnings hopefully will transfer to this tune!!

:)

Has this issue been resolved yet??

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
TonyGXP said:
Has this issue been resolved yet??
I've been driving as much as I can, but I'm still not below 1/4 tank yet. The light is still on. I should be filled up with pure gas by Monday though, and I will definately report the results.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
23 Posts
I just wanted to say I installed my VMT ECM/TCM today with 89 octane in the vehicle. I didn't get a check engine light until the next day.
I went to the dealership and had a relearn done to the vehicle and haven't had a problem since. Initally I thought if I sent VMT two new cores I wouldn't need a relearn. The service writer told me anytime you unplug the computer from the vehicle you have to get a relearn done. As for the VMT tune Chris and Kirk you are the baddest on the planet.
Guys keep up the good work.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Blacklazer said:
I just wanted to say I installed my VMT ECM/TCM today with 89 octane in the vehicle. I didn't get a check engine light until the next day.
I went to the dealership and had a relearn done to the vehicle and haven't had a problem since. Initally I thought if I sent VMT two new cores I wouldn't need a relearn. The service writer told me anytime you unplug the computer from the vehicle you have to get a relearn done. As for the VMT tune Chris and Kirk you are the baddest on the planet.
Guys keep up the good work.
Are you saying after we put this new PCM in we have to bring it to the dealer?? please tell me you're kidding.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
23 Posts
It's a 3min scan. If you have a good relationship with any of the service writers in your town you can get it done for free. It didn't cost me dime to have it done.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This was already addressed earlier in this post, but I will go through it in detail.

If you send your ECM & TCM in, you will need to do nothing when you get them back. Just start up the truck and drive.

If you purchase NEW cores (so you can keep your old computers) you will have to do a theft relearn (a 4 minute process outlined in the instructions) AND always heve a crankshaft variation relearn performed by any GM dealer or a auto repair facility with a GM CAN adapter.

If you are on the core list and get computers that have already been in a TBSS you may have to do a theft relearn (there is about a 25% chance that you do not have to.) And, you most likely will need a CV relearn. You will know if you have to or not by the service engine light. A code will be set saying that the relearn must be done. This code does not always set right away, it may take the computer a while to figure it out.

Many people on the board have had a CVL done by the dealer.

The crankshaft variation is used for misfire detection in the LSX engine. Engine management is NOT affected by this.
Every crankshaft reluctor ring is a little differently located on the crankshaft. The relearn tells the computer exactly the location of the ring. The dealer charges between $20-40 dollars to perform this. It is done with a tech 2 in about 5-10 minutes. I have had customers around the country have these performed hundreds of times without a problem.
If you are for some reason nervous about having it done at the dealer where you purchased the truck take it to any other GM dealer. I have never heard of a dealer really caring either way.

Please call or email me direct with any concerns.
Thanks,
Kirk
Vector Motorsports
[email protected]
586-453-9030

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
TBSSTony said:
I've been driving as much as I can, but I'm still not below 1/4 tank yet. The light is still on. I should be filled up with pure gas by Monday though, and I will definately report the results.
Well, I drove for a couple hours today to burn up the rest of what was thought to be "bad" gas. Filled up with pure 93 octane (no ethanol blend) and the light is still on. Called Kirk, he seems to think it now needs the CV relearn, so I'm off to another GM dealer Monday morning. I'll report back.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts