Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seriously hope the Vector tune and my check engine light coming on were an unlucky coincidence! It would be great if something that technically voids your warranty would send you immediately to the dealer for service! Other than a random coincidence I can come up with 3 potential reasons for the light:

1) Dealer changed my oil today, before the core swap. I have maybe 30 miles now since the change this afternoon.
2) Looking up the light today in my owner's manual, it said that if the gas cap was installed wrong it could set it off. I was very low on gas and filled up tonight.
3) Vector tune. The light was not on immediately though. I ran a few 0-100 runs in the country, then drove 10 miles to the gas station, no check engine light. Only after filling up did the light come on within a minute.

So, tomorrow what do I do? I guess I could always install my stock cores and see if the light goes away. Otherwise the dealer will need to see my truck. Is whatever computer/electronics that needs to be reset to reset the check engine light separate from the ECM and TCM? My cores are locked, so a tech won't be able to reset it, will he?

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
From the sound of that, since you got the light after filling up, the gas cap wasnt on properly or it didnt seal right, causing the light to come on. Before you change the cores out again, I think you should drive around a little bit more, or put a code reader on it. Or, you could take it to Napa or Advance auto parts and have them read the code for you. If it is just the gas cap code, reset the code and youre on your way! The part of the cores being locked from what I have heard has nothing to do with the diagnostic part of the cores, just the programming part that deals with shift points and timings, etc. You should be fine going to the dealer with them in, as Chris says they cant detect them if I remember right.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
397 Posts
If the trucks are anything like the Corvette, if you turn the car on and off 3 times in a row it should reset the check engine light automatically...if it was the gas cap, which it usually is.

Did you send your computer in to be programmed, or did you use the core?

·
Registered
141 Posts
It's most likely your gas cap. Same thing happened to me.
If you wait until you run the gas tank below 1/4 tank the code will automatically reset when you fill up with fuel. (But it does have to go below 1/4 tank first).

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, had Onstar look up the code for me. It wasn't the gas cap. It's a LEVEL 1 Engine and Transmission Controller warning! Knock alert. Do not tow, do not accelerate quickly, please see your dealer immediately!

WTF?!

You gotta be kidding me! This is what I paid for? I suppose I'm the only one with this problem?

Can the dealer fix this with my Vector tune in place?

·
Registered
2006 chevy
538 Posts
Just a thought but it could be bad (low octane) gas. With the tune it's absolutely essential you buy 93 octane premium. (Unless you told Vector you would be buying lower quality gas.) It is also possible for stations to "hedge" on gas quality. You might try immediately adding octane boost. And/or making sure you get good gas asap.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TrailblazerSS said:
Just a thought but it could be bad (low octane) gas. With the tune it's absolutely essential you buy 93 octane premium. (Unless you told Vector you would be buying lower quality gas.) It is also possible for stations to "hedge" on gas quality. You might try immediately adding octane boost. And/or making sure you get good gas asap.
It's 93, can't remember what brand. I'll buy an octane booster and try that today. Will that code go away if it stops sensing knock or does the dealer need to reset it? Also, GTPprix said the tune was developed using 93 "winter blend = aka crap" so I don't know why my gas could be causing problems. I sure as hell am not buying a bottle of booster for every tank. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was also told to only run PREMIUM fuel with the Vector tune.
Bad fuel or low octane will cause knock.
Can you get some octane boost or 94 premium in your area?
Since it did happen after you filled up it could be bad gas.

I would give Chris a call also to see what he thinks. I'm up north with the crappy winter blend also but have not seen any engine codes.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ttdolson said:
I was also told to only run PREMIUM fuel with the Vector tune.
Bad fuel or low octane will cause knock.
Can you get some octane boost or 94 premium in your area?
Since it did happen after you filled up it could be bad gas.

I would give Chris a call also to see what he thinks. I'm up north with the crappy winter blend also but have not seen any engine codes.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Don't have any 94+ around here, and I'm not buying boost for every tank. I'll try booster today, but that's it. If it's sensitive to bad 93 gas I'll have Chris tune it for 91 to be safe. It's not worth the performance gains to deal with these hassles.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, from the VMS info/install sheet, what does this mean:

"Crank Variation Relearn:

If the vehicle sets the Crank Variation code (PO 0315), a relearn will need to be done by the dealer. This may also be done by a local auto repair facility if they have a scan tool that will support the new GM computer."

Is that the code I set off? Or something else?

·
Registered
2006 chevy
849 Posts
TBSSTony said:

If the vehicle sets the Crank Variation code (PO 0315), a relearn will need to be done by the dealer. This may also be done by a local auto repair facility if they have a scan tool that will support the new GM computer."

I was just going to ask if you did the crank sensor relearn or not. Although no-one can tell you for sure until you actually get the code read, this is a very high possibiliy that its the culprit.

Reason being, each car's crank-position sensor isn't in the exact same location. Thus, if your PCM thinks the crank is in orientation 'A', but its actually a few degrees off from nominal, your engine's ignition timing will be off. This relearn procedure allows the PCM to re-sense exactly where the crank is at, and thus remarry your new PCM to your specific vehicle. Normally the variance isn't that far off from one vehicle to the next, but I have seen several cases where a relearn is necessary when doing PCM swaps (back in my GP days).

·
Registered
515 Posts
Damm that sucks...wish Chris wasn't on vacation would like to hear from him on this.
I would be going nuts...not because of the tune...just for the lack of answers...and you don't want to go to the dealer yet..for warrenty reasons.
Chris seems to be on the up&up.I think he'll do eveything he can to get you running right again.
Hang in there man.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
57 Posts
Hey, if you get this resolved, please let me know by PM. I'm due to install my VectorTune TCM/ECM this weekend!

Bob

TBSSTony said:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I thought this was normal. If you pulled you computers and sent them to Vector you had to do a re-learn. If you have it installed in person (where the modules are never removed from you SS) then you would not have to do the relearn.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
538 Posts
BLKTBSS said:
I thought this was normal. If you pulled you computers and sent them to Vector you had to do a re-learn. If you have it installed in person (where the modules are never removed from you SS) then you would not have to do the relearn.
If you do the core charge swap you have to. If you send yours in or have them do it in person you do not.

·
Registered
169 Posts
TBSSTony said:
Well, had Onstar look up the code for me. It wasn't the gas cap. It's a LEVEL 1 Engine and Transmission Controller warning! Knock alert. Do not tow, do not accelerate quickly, please see your dealer immediately!

WTF?!

You gotta be kidding me! This is what I paid for? I suppose I'm the only one with this problem?

Can the dealer fix this with my Vector tune in place?

Isnt this a different code than the crank position sensor one we are speculating about?Wouldnt it have thrown that code on startup after the core was swapped? Just throwin that out there.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
57 Posts
No word from Chris White on any of this? I realize he's on vacation, but there's also Kirk at his shop that may be able to help.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After talking with Kirk at VMS we think it's a bad (lower than advertised octane) tank of gas and/or the 10% ethanol blend everyone uses here. The VMS computers are very sensitive to getting the 93 octane they need. I won't know for a week or so until I burn through this tank and refill. Kirk's recommendation was to use 100% gas - nothing with the 10% ethanol blend. He said pure gas is a much safer bet. Plus, being in WI our "winter blend" is crap to begin with. If you have 100% 93 octane you should have no problems. Personally, I may go with a 91 tune and still run 93, that should give me a good margin for error, and Kirk said it's only a loss of about 8HP peak.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts