Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my truck to the stealer to have my tires swapped while they were doing some other stuff ...and they tell me they weren't able to check the tire pressure when they put the summer tires on. Apparently my valve caps have corroded to the stems...

Has anyone seen this? Any idea how to get them off?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
538 Posts
yea it happened a few years ago to my celica they were metal like covers and i took them down to my mechanic and he changed the hole stem

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
705 Posts
My wife used to work at a service station, and that was a real common problem when people had aftermarket valve stem caps, especially aluminum ones. they were always froze on

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
963 Posts
Never had that problem, but mine did turn green after having new Geo's installed a while back:

Tech said I had gas; I said "sorry 'bout that".
:D

·
Banned
chevy
12,260 Posts
The owners manual for my car specifically says to NOT use any kind of metal valve stem cap. If you have the TPMS it could get expensive to replace, I think the valve stems are a part of the sensor. I would do like roadie says and hit them with some PB Blaster and let them sit over night. They might come off in the morning.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry guys, I probably should have mentioned that they're the FACTORY valve stem caps that seized on.

Does it really say not to use metal caps? Both the original Hex design caps that came with the 20's and the round metal one I bought as a replacement after one got swiped are metal, both official GM for the TPMS stems.

I think this is something that should be GM's problem ...but I'm at 100,000km's, so I'm past the warranty period. What do you think the odds are they'll man-up and pay for their mistake?
(I'm guessing they changed caps on the '07 because of the corrosion issue and didn't tell any of us with '06's).

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
293 Posts
So you didnt check your air in your tires for how long?

Also if they are the hexed kind just spray with some pb blaster and then use a small wrench to remove...

·
Registered
2007 buick rainier
328 Posts
My Rainier came with metal caps and the TPMS.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So you didnt check your air in your tires for how long?

Also if they are the hexed kind just spray with some pb blaster and then use a small wrench to remove...
I didn't check the pressure in the tires for the entire winter they sat in my garage, they're my summer tires. Also, with TPMS info available on the dash I seldom feel the need to actually physically check the pressure anyway.

I'm guessing I'll have to remove the valve stems and TPMS sensors to do this, right? PB Blaster will likely marr the finish on the 20's, won't it?

·
Registered
2006 chevy
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All of the valve stems except one survived removing the valve caps with channel lock pliers. Looks like it's time for a new TPMS sensor for one of my summers ...could definitely be worse though...

·
Registered
2006 chevy
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Scratch that, needed to replace two TPMS sensors. The original valve caps (hex style) took the threads off the stem when they came off.

Gotta love manufacturer defects... On the up-side, GM has dropped the price on TPM Sensors to $50 each.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
you say hex style caps as in chrome caps? don't TPMS come with plastic round caps?

They are also designed them to be checked frequently. Even tho they sat for the winter inside, moisture still got in there.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you say hex style caps as in chrome caps? don't TPMS come with plastic round caps?

They are also designed them to be checked frequently. Even tho they sat for the winter inside, moisture still got in there.

As per the dealer, ALL TMPS valves come with metal caps, apparently there's some kind of special seal to keep out moisture in them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts