Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in finding a suitable used tow vehicle. I'm not too technical, but would appreciate any thoughts:
1) General reliability
2) drive train capability for towing, including weakspots - assume tow package is installed,
3) suspension factors

My trailer tare is just under 3000lbs, guessing it will gross at about 4000lbs

·
Southeast Chapter
2004 buick rainier
5,864 Posts
these trucks work great as tow rigs; i tow my boat almost every weekend; if you are buying it for towing something that you will want will be the G80 locking rear diff; if slippage of one of the rear wheels is detected it will lock the diff to send torque to each wheel; look for the code G80 in the glove box; also there were 3 rear gears offered 3.42;3.73;4.10 the 4.10 gears will give you the most available towing but are hard to find on these trucks; i have the 3.73 in my rainier and they work great. in the glove box look for GU6=3.42; GT4=3.73; GT5=4.10; but with the weight you lised any grear should work. happy hunting and let us know of you have an questions along the way

·
Registered
2004 chevy
113 Posts
Ultimate tow vehicle: XL/EXT with V8 & 3.73- LWB provides great platform stability, V8 has plenty of grunt and gets good mpg - 14/18 avg 16 mpg. I tow a 6000# boat up to Lake Tahoe (6200' elevation) no problem.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
21 Posts
My trailer is 3400 dry and I put a lot in it. It pulls very well on the flats and moderate hills with no sway or braking issues. But on very steep hills the motor lacks with the 3.43 rear end. If you have your heart (or your budget) set on a TB I would go with a short wheel base and higher ratio, a V8 or a truck.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
967 Posts
1) General reliability
Not bad. My problems have mostly had to do with the electronics of the 4WD system. I bought my TB with 56k and it now has 106k.

2) drive train capability for towing, including weakspots - assume tow package is installed
The TB is built for towing. I only have 3:42 gears with the I6 and for the trailer I tow, 3500# GVWR, the truck tows it beautifully, and I've towed on 6% grades in Montana and Wyoming.

3) suspension factors
If there is a weak spot it is the rear suspension. Its soft, for a cushier ride, but very capable. Use a W/D system and its fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts