Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
We had a no-crank issue in our '05 TB EXT (5.3L) and it was a faulty ignition switch. They also said the battery was bad (at 30K) and replaced it too.

Now it has to go back in. With no key in the ignition, you can turn the ignition 1/8" forward and energize the system just as if the key was in. Caused a dead battery once already. Make sure it's fixed right when you get it back.
 

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
Joined
·
695 Posts
Dacomputernerd said:
On another note, the TB was struggling on some of the bigger hills in New Brunswick, since it is full of water and supplies its sitting at 7200# ish, and there are 4 people in the TB. We kept it in third, but the downshifts to second are what heats up the tranny (up a hill at 5K RPM). Thank god we got a tranny cooler! Also the FIPK is REALLY loud on long trips. But im convinced that it helps on the hills.

7200 lbs :eek: If I'm not mistaken Chevy's tow rating is 6500 with the 3.73:1 ratio and 5700 with the 3.42:1 ratio. At 7200 and 4 people you are probably over the GCVW and are overloading the axles. I would suggest that you run with only minimal water in the tanks (enough for the roadside bathroom breaks ;) ). Depending on the size of your tanks you could probably drop 400 lbs. But above all, be careful out there! :worried:
 

·
Northwest Chapter
Joined
·
11,824 Posts
muddy tires said:
7200 lbs :eek: If I'm not mistaken Chevy's tow rating is 6500 with the 3.73:1 ratio and 5700 with the 3.42:1 ratio. At 7200 and 4 people you are probably over the GCVW and are overloading the axles. I would suggest that you run with only minimal water in the tanks (enough for the roadside bathroom breaks ;) ). Depending on the size of your tanks you could probably drop 400 lbs. But above all, be careful out there! :worried:
Yea, I was thinking about that too, but he did it last summer bone stock engine and trans without any issues.

BTW, he has the 5.3L V8, not the I6. That helps a ton with towing as well, and he has the 3.73s (I think).
 

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
Joined
·
1,355 Posts
At first I was going to say perhaps it was an intermittent problem, perhaps indication only, but then he said he kept having problems with it. I'd be willing to bet it's a stupid sensor somewhere. I don't see what the ignition switch would have to do with the throttle sensor.... :crazy:

And how in the hell can you overheat your fuel pump????? It's like 90+ down here nearly every day in the summer, and my fuel pump has yet to overheat...even with hard driving (fire call responses). :undecided
 

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
Joined
·
86 Posts
In response to the overheating issue, the in-tank electric motor in the fuel pump is submersed in gasoline. It acts as a coolant by dissipating the heat generated by the motor's operation. When the gas tank goes to empty, the fuel pump motor is no longer liquid cooled and subjected to undue wear. I know, it's one of those engineering marvels that defies common sense - sink an electric component in gasoline to absorb heat. Nonetheless, in a liquid state, gasoline is safe as a coolant.
 

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
Joined
·
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yep the towing limit is 6500lbs. Last year the trailer was just around 7K because we ran with a half tank of water. This year we got a tranny cooler, K&N CAI, and added about 200lbs to the trailer via a full tank of water. So it all evens out.

Also i am confident that GM products will stand up to heavy use. And if anything goes wrong, it is a lease :x :crazy:
 

·
Banned
chevy
Joined
·
12,260 Posts
Dacomputernerd said:
Yep the towing limit is 6500lbs. Last year the trailer was just around 7K because we ran with a half tank of water. This year we got a tranny cooler, K&N CAI, and added about 200lbs to the trailer via a full tank of water. So it all evens out.

Also i am confident that GM products will stand up to heavy use. And if anything goes wrong, it is a lease :x :crazy:
I agree you have strengthened the powertrain a bit to haul more than specified, but that isn't helping the axles, trailer hitch, and suspension. I think that much weight could cause you problems in areas other than the engine. I hope not cuz I don't want your vacation screwed up, but I would seriously take it really really easy on it. Are you using trailer brakes?
 

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
Joined
·
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
ghoster said:
I agree you have strengthened the powertrain a bit to haul more than specified, but that isn't helping the axles, trailer hitch, and suspension. I think that much weight could cause you problems in areas other than the engine. I hope not cuz I don't want your vacation screwed up, but I would seriously take it really really easy on it. Are you using trailer brakes?
Ofcorse! trailer brakes on all 4 trailer wheels. Also the best weight distributing setup avalable. The EXT has higher suspension in the back stock, and with the trailer hitched up, the TB sits straight across with no people in it. With 2 people in the front seats, one in the second row, and one in the third, the suspension is only slightly below level. Even over bumps at highway speeds, we have never hit the bumpstops.
 

·
Banned
chevy
Joined
·
12,260 Posts
Dacomputernerd said:
Ofcorse! trailer brakes on all 4 trailer wheels. Also the best weight distributing setup avalable. The EXT has higher suspension in the back stock, and with the trailer hitched up, the TB sits straight across with no people in it. With 2 people in the front seats, one in the second row, and one in the third, the suspension is only slightly below level. Even over bumps at highway speeds, we have never hit the bumpstops.
I figured you had to have the Trailer brakes. Just because it sit level though doesn't mean its not over taxing the suspension. It would just worry me is all. I guess if mine was a lease and I knew I wouldn't have it in a few years it might not matter. I just think that repeatedly overtaxing the suspension and drive train like that is going to cause premature failure.
 
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Top