Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front upper control arm bolts are loosening for which i assume is because i didnt torque them down correctly when i completely replaced all of the suspension. (Significant noise on bumps)

I can only get a combo wrench in there(no breaker or ratchet) I can get it somewhat tight when using a pipe over the end of the wrench to get some leverage. I am hesitant to over torque.

How do you make sure its torqued down to the correct torque?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Btw i checked the torque on all other bolts. That was the only one that moved with thr pipe. The noise improved so i know that was the cause. Just looking for technical advice.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
340 Posts
The needed torque is foot pounds. That is pounds of force times the number of feet from where the force is applied and the center of the bolt measured at 90 degrees to the force vector. So, I have used an open end wrench with a breaker bar (or pipe), a ruler, and a bathroom scale to get close. It won't be perfect but it is better than guessing at an odd angle. That 90 degrees to the force vector is important. It is always tricky when you start using universals or pipes.

BTW, were the surfaces clean? Dirt will cause the torque to loosen which is why it is always a good idea recheck torque if you can after the connection has had a chance to vibrate and go through some heat cycles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it sounds like there isnt a way to ensure its torqued to specs since there is no way to get a torque wrench in there? I imagine i can tighten them more.. just dont want to damage the bushing.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
340 Posts
Chilton's says to gently pry out on inner fender to access the forward facing bolt. They also say to remove the battery tray for the one on the left.

·
Registered
12 Posts
a few months late to the party but... you can get a 21mm "crow's foot" (open end wrench fitting) to fit your torque wrench drive lug. The actual applied torque will be off just a little, but it will get you close without having to bend or trim the inner wheel well structure.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
2 Posts
Rebuilt Front Suspension

2003 TrailBlazer EXT -LT inline 6. I replaced complete struts, upper and lower control arms, ball joints, and tie rod ends. Now it squeaks like rubber bushing need lube. Should I have used assembly lube? Also, Thanks for the Torque specs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts