Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm new to this forum but I don't consider my self a newbie. My wife bought a 04 Envoy a couple of months ago and I need to upgrade her pos stereo. It is the totally stock non-bose system. Does anyone know what is the biggest culprit in this poor system? I think I have come to the conclusion that it is more the radio rather than the speakers. If anyone can confirm this, I'm gonna start there. Also, I have seen a couple of posts that say the speakers are 6 1/2 while Crutchfield says they are 6 3/4, anyone know which is right? Lastly, I would assume GM ran wires up to the factory tweeter locations, can anyone confirm this? If the speakers are the bigger culprit, I'll probably swing towards Alpine as I am pretty happy with those in my Camry. As for the deck, I'm having a hard time finding a aftermarbertket deck that has RDS, what's up with that? It seems only the really expensive ones carry it even though most factory stereo's come with it standard.

Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,483 Posts
Lastly, I would assume GM ran wires up to the factory tweeter locations, can anyone confirm this?
If there are no tweeters there, there's no wiring. There should only be tweets there if the truck as Bose...

I have 6.5" Alpine's front & rear, and they fit fine; You just have to modify the front speaker bracket a bit, as it's a factory component setup

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
yes the stereo is the worst, start there. if your doing speakers, which i reccomend, are your going to amp them? and do you plan on running a sub too?

*your gonna need an "expensive" adapor when you decide to do your HU, keep that in mind.

·
Registered
2008 chevy
53 Posts
yes the stereo is the worst, start there. if your doing speakers, which i reccomend, are your going to amp them? and do you plan on running a sub too?

*your gonna need an "expensive" adapor when you decide to do your HU, keep that in mind.

If the 04 TB is anything like an 08 TB, then he'll need a $30 radio adapter to mount in the opening. The expensive part is the wiring harness. He can go either the cheap way or expensive way.

Cheap way is to get a harness that doesn't retain onstar, chimes and RAP. Expensive way will cost around $100, you're looknig for a Metra or similar harness, look for the non-BOSE version GMOS-01 to retain chimes, onstar, and RAP.

I believe only the BOSE equiped TBs had 4" speakers up on the dash and they were only midrange speakers, not tweeters. Otherwise there shouldn't be anything.

As far as RDS decks, have you looked into either Kenwood or Pioneer? Personally I have always liked Pioneer single DIN cd players, have used them for years. Currently I stepped up to a Kenwood DNX712 double DIN DVD player which has RDS. Makes it very nice to watch, er listen to movies while on long road trips. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts