Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know that our trailvoys sound, i am sad to say, quite weak as a stock vehicle. Throw on a CAI and an exhaust system, you got yourself a beefy sounding car. the problem is, there are so many different options to modify your exhaust system. i am hoping to get a cat-back exhaust within these next few months. Out of it i am hopoing to get much better sound quality, a few MPG increase, and of course it wouldn't look bad either :cool: Also, more specifically, i have been looking at an exhaust system that car ID has in their line of products. it is a split dual exhaust cat-back for $800 by magnaflow ( http://www.carid.com/2003-gmc-envoy-exhaust-systems/magnaflow-89981.html ) any thoughts on that exhaust set-up?

So i guess that brings up a few questions that i have that maybe you all could help me with. my first question is, what exactly makes a good exhaust a good exhaust? I know that it increases airflow making the engine work less by not pushing air that is restricted out the tailpipe(s), but how do you know what will give you the best bang for your buck? What's going to sound the best with the best overall quality?

What suggestions might anyone have for me in regards to looking for, pricing, and deciding on exhausts or anything else i have overlooked? Any thoughts or opinions are welcome and much appreciated!

·
International Chapter
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,900 Posts
Hi there,
i've got the Borla full cat-back, and let me tell yeah, 1st fire up i almost cried :sadcry: no diff at ALL :hopeless actually i might even say that it sounded better before :mad: but after a week or so it sounded better, not a lot ! just better BUT and ts a big huge BUT, my engine runs a LOT better, the response is a LOT better, its just like a relaxed breathable i6 :Di just LOVE driving around, no sound diff, but alot of performance :D i have a PCMforLess tune btw :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there,
i've got the Borla full cat-back, and let me tell yeah, 1st fire up i almost cried :sadcry: no diff at ALL :hopeless actually i might even say that it sounded better before :mad: but after a week or so it sounded better, not a lot ! just better BUT and ts a big huge BUT, my engine runs a LOT better, the response is a LOT better, its just like a relaxed breathable i6 :Di just LOVE driving around, no sound diff, but alot of performance :D i have a PCMforLess tune btw :thumbsup:
Ah that is so sad :( i was hoping to get at least a little better sound quality. . .Although the performance increase is great to hear! :D since you have had the new exhaust, have you seen an increase in gas mileage?

And I just did some calculations and it worked out that a $1,000 exhaust would take 4.029 years to pay off paying $3.40 per gallon filling up every 5 days asking just a measly 1 MPG increase. (in case you were wondering) haha hoping and assuming i will have my Envoy for another 4.029 years. . .

Oh and thanks for the reply! keep 'em coming :)

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
2,006 Posts
Ah that is so sad :( i was hoping to get at least a little better sound quality. . .Although the performance increase is great to hear! :D since you have had the new exhaust, have you seen an increase in gas mileage?

And I just did some calculations and it worked out that a $1,000 exhaust would take 4.029 years to pay off paying $3.40 per gallon filling up every 5 days asking just a measly 1 MPG increase. (in case you were wondering) haha hoping and assuming i will have my Envoy for another 4.029 years. . .

Oh and thanks for the reply! keep 'em coming :)
Well the first problem is you have an I6.. not much sound, if at all any is going to come out of there.. I would say save your money.. your not going to see big performance gains or mpg gains that you are hoping for.. the best thing I would recommend is just chopping off the stock resonator and replacing the muffler with a Magnaflow or Gibson muffler...

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
Well the first problem is you have an I6.. not much sound, if at all any is going to come out of there.. I would say save your money.. your not going to see big performance gains or mpg gains that you are hoping for.. the best thing I would recommend is just chopping off the stock resonator and replacing the muffler with a Magnaflow or Gibson muffler...
:iagree:

I keep wondering why guys think a different exhaust system is going to make a straight 6 sound like a V8....never going to happen.

And as mentioned above, the HP gains & MPG gains are NOT going to be there.....the stock exhaust system is pretty free flowing as it is.

Follow the good advice above....save your $$. I can think of MANY other things I could do w/ $800.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
276 Posts
you will see more from a tune and intake than an exhaust

and save $500 or so

pcmforless and then your favorite intake system

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright thank you all for the advise every bit helps! In the case of doing a pcm4less tune, what does everyone out there like the most and what would you guys recommend??

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
276 Posts
Alright thank you all for the advise every bit helps! In the case of doing a pcm4less tune, what does everyone out there like the most and what would you guys recommend??
it is different for everyone

i went for the 87 octane tune, and only the 1st level of shift firmness

i knew Alvin @ PCMforless before he went internet-wide

he tuned my 2 GTOs for me in Charlotte

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
12 Posts
For the money, go with the Magnaflow. I love it on my SS. Yes, i realize that it's a V8 but the I6 will sound fine. I have a buddy that put Corsa on his, and another that put Borla. They paid twice as much, and wished that hadn't.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
44 Posts
Magnaflow #16833

If you are still thinking about a Cat system I just bought it for $575 shipped from wUnderCarParts.com You have to "make the offer" to get that price. :)

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
156 Posts
Exhaust 4 Me 2

I also have been looking at that Magnaflow® - Cat-Back System - Dual Split Rear Exit, L6 4.2L GAS; 113" wheelbase @ carid and that's what I want, but if does nothing to mpg & horespower. Maybe I shouldnt waste my money. I know for sure I want cold air intake and a chip but i was told there was no performance chip for my tb i6 2wd? Help me please.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
39 Posts
I also have been looking at that Magnaflow® - Cat-Back System - Dual Split Rear Exit, L6 4.2L GAS; 113" wheelbase @ carid and that's what I want, but if does nothing to mpg & horespower. Maybe I shouldnt waste my money. I know for sure I want cold air intake and a chip but i was told there was no performance chip for my tb i6 2wd? Help me please.
there is no chip for these trucks you have to do a pcm tune. try PCMforless.com

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
44 Posts
PCM4Less/True Flow 10020 Air Filter

Hi,

I have had air induction on other cars and did not think they were worth the $$$ . Back in March I found the True Flow on Amazon for $27.88 shipped.
PCM4Less told me they are having a Memorial Day Sale so watch out for that.
Go to forums and click on "Supporting Vendors" they are listed there. Based on my experience's with induction systems I wanted a cat back system along with the PCM tune. It is really a matter of personal choice as you can see everyone has their opinion----hope this helped in some way GL.

·
Premium Member
1,852 Posts
For the money, go with the Magnaflow. I love it on my SS. Yes, i realize that it's a V8 but the I6 will sound fine. I have a buddy that put Corsa on his, and another that put Borla. They paid twice as much, and wished that hadn't.
Then the guy with the Corsa doesn't care about having a good exhaust, Corsa is worth EVERY last penny for the sound, quality, and zero drone.

To the OP, the Magnaflow exhaust is probably the best you can do for the I6 as far as sound. Check out my thread:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=43217&highlight=magnaflow

·
Banned
2,006 Posts
Then the guy with the Corsa doesn't care about having a good exhaust, Corsa is worth EVERY last penny for the sound, quality, and zero drone...
:iagree:... I have the Corsa Sport on my SS..and it was worth every bit of the $800 bucks it cost.. very loud, but very quiet when driven under normal conditions..

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Then the guy with the Corsa doesn't care about having a good exhaust, Corsa is worth EVERY last penny for the sound, quality, and zero drone.

To the OP, the Magnaflow exhaust is probably the best you can do for the I6 as far as sound. Check out my thread:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=43217&highlight=magnaflow
Ill vouch for the Magnaflow kit for the I6, love the way mine sounds! Nice and subtle around town and driving easy, but when you stick your foot into it you can definitely hear it! Throw a CAI and tune in, beastly.

Swixman (like the swix reference btw), if you're looking for performance then an intake and a tune are your best bets. Then if you dont tow, efans give about 8-10hp plus 1-2mpg on the highway. For a little better exhaust appearance, have a local shop cut the resonator off (or do it yourself with a sawzall) and weld a straight pipe with a tip up. Usually less than $100 and adds a little sounds too.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ill vouch for the Magnaflow kit for the I6, love the way mine sounds! Nice and subtle around town and driving easy, but when you stick your foot into it you can definitely hear it! Throw a CAI and tune in, beastly.

Swixman (like the swix reference btw), if you're looking for performance then an intake and a tune are your best bets. Then if you dont tow, efans give about 8-10hp plus 1-2mpg on the highway. For a little better exhaust appearance, have a local shop cut the resonator off (or do it yourself with a sawzall) and weld a straight pipe with a tip up. Usually less than $100 and adds a little sounds too.
thanks! it's good to see another skier on the site :D i thought i was the only one haha
in regards to the information and input on the exhaust, that helps a ton. everyone's input has. as for now i will probably hold off on the catback :worried: i kinda need to save my money lol but the tune will be deeply considered, i'm itching for my car to be faster especially after last weeks escapades. . .long story haha but if i do end up with a tune and or exhaust i will be sure to post an announcement and let everyone know the details and the performance :)

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
thanks! it's good to see another skier on the site :D i thought i was the only one haha
in regards to the information and input on the exhaust, that helps a ton. everyone's input has. as for now i will probably hold off on the catback :worried: i kinda need to save my money lol but the tune will be deeply considered, i'm itching for my car to be faster especially after last weeks escapades. . .long story haha but if i do end up with a tune and or exhaust i will be sure to post an announcement and let everyone know the details and the performance :)
Yea man, and my college roommate just moved to Casper 9 days ago lol so Ill be heading that way next winter.

Save the $$ you'd spend on the Magnaflow and buy the tune. Seriously, you dont gain anything but sound with an exhaust on an I6. A tune give you power, mpg usually, and better shifting. $160 (or whatever P4L charges now) is a good deal and is the best bang-for-the-buck performance mod out there.

Chop the res and do a tune, well under the $800+ you'd spend on the Magnaflow. That said, Id buy the Magnaflow again because its a sweet system.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts