Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm at 135,500 on my 2004 LS TB and finally need to replace my pads and check the rotors, they just started squealing over the weekend.

I read a few of the older threads about what your opinions on the best replacement pad sets are, and I only started a new thread because I noticed the most recent reply on those was about 4 years old. So I know that things change from time to time and wanted to see if what I read still holds true.

I am in Oregon, and through my work account at the dealer I can get the AC Delco "ultra" their closest match to the OEM production pads for $72.80 (front) and $95.20 (rear).

I was told from another trusted local mechanic that he has had great results with Monroe, and also I have heard that Akebono are very good as well.

I hear some say that NAPA Ultra Premium have had good results too, but I am leaning towards either the best AC Delco ones I can get, Monroe or Akebono.

I thought about ordering the AC Delco's on Amazon because they are significantly cheaper than ordering from the dealer, but I don't know if I am still ordering the best AC D's they have, the guy at the dealer said there are 3 lines of AC Delco pads just like all the other lines, and the way that Amazon filters things is a bit confusing, I guess I could call the dealer back and get the part number... But I guess the most expensive AC Delco's would be the highest grade?? I have no clue how to tell without the part numbers, but here is the amazon results list: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=n%3A15684181%2Ck%3Aac+delco+brake+pads+2004+trailblazer&keywords=ac+delco+brake+pads+2004+trailblazer&ie=UTF8&qid=1372179568

If they are still good I am going to have the rotors turned, I've never had any pulsing or vibrations and since they just started squealing I think I am taking care of it early enough to get them machined.

:thx in advance!

·
Registered
2008 saab 9_7x
40 Posts
You might want to take a look at www.rockauto.com , good prices, no sales tax, 5% discount ( put 153051293047045 in the "how did you hear about us" box on the shopping cart page). It's also a good site for cross referencing part numbers and comparing prices. You just have to watch shipping, sometimes they ship parts from multiple sites. Consolidate when you can.

As for the Pads themselves, I use Akebono's on EVERY vehicle I own. Good stopping power, easy on rotors, no dust. Have yet to wear out a set.

As for rotors.... consider replacing. For best braking results, new pads really have to mate with a clean machined rotor surface (new or cut). Cutting/machining old rotors is really "old school" these days, most people consider old rotors "throw-aways". The cost of new is not a lot more than the time, effort and cost of cutting old rotors. Cut rotors are more prone to warping as you start getting close to min thickness...
Raybestos "advanced technology" rotors are an excellent choice with a really good black fusion finish to prevent rust and a reasonable price.

Good Luck with your project.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt_xl
27 Posts
Brake pads for 04 XUV

Hi! I have to replace my friend's 04 Envoy XUV's brake pads (front) and wondering if the Akebono ACT882 will fit? Did anyone here know and can confirm? Thanks in advance:)
I have replaced Hondas and some others, but have not yet dealt with GM - esp trail-voys. Will my tools for replacing them brakes on the said makers be sufficient to deal with Envoy/TB?
Many thanks!

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
169 Posts
Hi! I have to replace my friend's 04 Envoy XUV's brake pads (front) and wondering if the Akebono ACT882 will fit? Did anyone here know and can confirm? Thanks in advance:)
I have replaced Hondas and some others, but have not yet dealt with GM - esp trail-voys. Will my tools for replacing them brakes on the said makers be sufficient to deal with Envoy/TB?
Many thanks!
you should be able to get by with a 18mm 6 point socket, ratchet and a pipe or two wrenchs (one of the wrenchs has to be 18 mm 6 point)

i said 18mm cuz thats the bolt size on my 2003 TB

and according to rockauto.com the act882 will fit

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
714 Posts
Well I'd say, since you've had great luck with your OEM pads, Id buy those again. I'm at 90K and yet to replace mine as well, by the looks of it I can see it going beyond 100K. When its time, I am defently replacing mine with OEM. as I've never had any issues with it thus far.:m2:

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
714 Posts
What are some people's thoughts on Power Stop performance brakes?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I put those on my 03 Grand Prix GT and about 3,000 miles later they squealed and created tons of brake dust. I called them about it, they sent me a new set, and did the same exact thing. I just took them back and got my money back and bought AC Delco. In my opinion, they suck.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
I'm running parts that I purchased from Amazon (Wagner Ceramic) and the car stops better than it ever has before.

The set I replaced was Napa's premium Adaptive 1 with Napa Premium rotors. I did not get good life with them at all and they also destroyed the rotors rather quickly. Before that, I ran Napa premium pads, but they never gave the brake feel I was looking for.

These are my 4th set of brakes on this particular vehicle so I have some comparisons. Stopping is very firm and positive compared to factory or the several Napa offerings I tried earlier and the price was right!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037R8I8E/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O0VNJ2/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rotors are AC Delco from Rock Auto.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,778 Posts
Well I'd say, since you've had great luck with your OEM pads, Id buy those again. I'm at 90K and yet to replace mine as well, by the looks of it I can see it going beyond 100K. When its time, I am defently replacing mine with OEM. as I've never had any issues with it thus far.:m2:
115,000 Miles on front when replaced and I still have around 40% on the rear. Defiantly sticking with OEM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts