Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
That is well-presented information. It is good that the logic/reasoning is included, instead of the common "because the manual says so."

There is one exception. While it is likely within the category of "impractical trueism" even a throttle body drawing nothing but filtered air will eventually accumulate contaminaton (varnish) due to exposure of plenum/intake air and vapors once a hot engine is turned off. Of course, the accumulation will occur dramatically faster if there is no functioning PCV system, and this would likely be accompanied with various other problems caused by poor CCV. However, all TBs will eventually require cleaning.

Your routine maintenance recomendation for the PCV system is highly important, and your explanation is very thorough. There is also the hope that viewers will be reminded that there are various other things which should be a part of routine maintenance which are frequently overlooked.

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That is well-presented information. It is good that the logic/reasoning is included, instead of the common "because the manual says so."

There is one exception. While it is likely within the category of "impractical trueism" even a throttle body drawing nothing but filtered air will eventually accumulate contaminaton (varnish) due to exposure of plenum/intake air and vapors once a hot engine is turned off. Of course, the accumulation will occur dramatically faster if there is no functioning PCV system, and this would likely be accompanied with various other problems caused by poor CCV. However, all TBs will eventually require cleaning.

Your routine maintenance recomendation for the PCV system is highly important, and your explanation is very thorough. There is also the hope that viewers will be reminded that there are various other things which should be a part of routine maintenance which are frequently overlooked.
Thanks for your accolades and reasoning on the after shutdown vapors getting to the throttle body.

I'm of the opinion that raw gasoline should not be floating up to the throttle body because when the ignition is turned off .... the injection too has been shut off. .

Although the engine doesn't cease turning for a revolution or so and assuming that a small amount of unburned gas might somehow be in a cylinder with open intake valves, to then rise into the plenum and possibly to the butterfly ..... one has to remember that the injection hasn't happened and there'd be no raw fuel to cook off in a hot engine.

But I concur that you are right that the throttle body will need periodic maintenance anyway. Air filters aren't perfect ... and when they are changed, just remember that new filters aren't as good as a more seasoned filter.
Dirt filters dirt ... so cleanliness isn't always next to godliness.​
Now for a guilty admission and/or a partial retraction concerning the rotors I replaced on my 05 TB EXT POLICE SPECIAL ........... and if they are threaded to ease removing them .....

I still have my old rotors ... all 4 of them... and one of the front ones was threaded while the other three aren't so.

So-o-o-oo ... what's that mean?
I was 25% wrong in stating that none of them were threaded.​
I apologize to whomever it was I shot down.​
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡ ..... okay?​

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use Berryman's B-12 Chemtool --- just don't get it on your paint - and use a capful at a time and repeat it a few times to get the best results.

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE: I have been practicing Safe PCV Cleaning for a while and been adding B-12 every 2-3 weeks or so --- not a rigid schedule --- more along the line of if I really want to put on pants and go outdoors. I'm retired and every day is Saturday - so there!

Confession time: I had for a day or two, some slight moisture contamination under the 710 cap, so I upped the application a bit with a few more days of B-12 additive.

It stopped the buildup and cleaned everything very nicely ... not quickly but ultimately did so over a week or two.

This means that I have NOT gotten the system clean enough yet --- "YET" being the operative there!

So here's my takeaway ----> IF you have a problem with contamination, then I think it's in your best interest to do this cleaning at least twice a week at first. Remember --- this system has had many miles of being ignored and years of failing to be serviced correctly --- and all those years and miles, hot-n-cold ... means that the buildup is going to be considerable.

So --- don't give up and if you need some motivation for creating a livable schedule of some sort --- maybe on the days you feed the dog --- or change your underwear --- just mark those days on your Day Planner as the same days to clean your PCV system.

I'm working this for ya!

·
Registered
2004 Chevy Trailblazer LS RWD
98 Posts
UPDATE: I have been practicing Safe PCV Cleaning for a while and been adding B-12 every 2-3 weeks or so --- not a rigid schedule --- more along the line of if I really want to put on pants and go outdoors. I'm retired and every day is Saturday - so there!
So many Saturdays. I made it a rule to at least put on pants and a shirt before sitting down for dinner.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
81 Posts
This is good info….my trailblazer has just started leaving the milky residue on the oil cap and had me wondering what the hell…so this is perfect timing finding this info…thank you sir! Appreciate it!
I'll tell you before Ravalli has a chance to give you ****,,,Water leakage from head gasket. Don't play with this. Drain the juices and replace the gasket. Put back juices and monitor after about 15 mins. of running.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts