Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the 2nd/inner cover (one on left in attached photo, i.e. the cover i am holding in my hand) really necessary? I realize this 2nd cover may provide additional protection the keep dust and dirt from gathering on the fuses and relays.
While troubleshooting a bad Starter i loosened the 4 machine screws that hold this 2nd Cover in-place so that i could check for bad Starter Relay and Fuses. Turned out the Starter itself was bad. Mechanic indicated it took him some extra time to diagnose because I left some of the 4 screws loose (i gave up on DIY and had my 2002 4.2L Trailblazer towed to shop--i was 3 hours from home, almost no tools with me, etc.)
BTW does $410 seem steep for Starter Replacement (including $244 for a Remanufactured Starter)?
20210427_150135.jpg

·
Registered
2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer LT EXT
433 Posts
I believe that second cover just snaps on with no need to remove any screws
Protecting electrical from the elements is a good thing

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree the extra protection is good. And it appears the Cover might snap on. But it doesnt seem to snap off without unscrewing or using a special tool.
Wcosh can you please try snapping your cover off and then back on again? I appreciate any hands-on test (simple cover-on, cover-off) you can do. Long story short while attempting to fix a bad Starter i left the cover screws loose (and Cover off), mechanic who eventually replaced the Starter said the loose screws caused a fault which took extra time to find/fix...

·
Registered
2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer LT EXT
433 Posts
The top cover comes off if you press the tabs (Front and Rear) then pull up
The inner cover just pulls straight up and comes off easily without touching the screws

Hope yours does the same

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
The only reason for the inner cover is to protect the relays and fuses from mechanics leaning on the outer cover and crushing the objects inside it.

It pulls straight up to get it off and just pushes on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts