Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
698 Posts
How long since your tires were rotated? What pressures do you typically run? How often do you check tire pressure?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,298 Posts
How long since your tires were rotated? What pressures do you typically run? How often do you check tire pressure?
:iagree:Good questions. It looks like the inside edge of the tread is more worn. Any chance these
were rotated off the front, or dismounted and remounted?

Are both tires looking the same? If not, how's your rear suspension (if the tires have
not been rotated)?

Good Luck!

Chris

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Only way you can get wear like that I know of is by having bad camber. That's very easy to happen on the front, and very difficult on the rear unless you've bent the axle tubes. I managed to bend the axle tubes on my first axle by overloading it, then bashing on rocky trails with too-soft springs.

But if these tires had previously been on the front, bad camber could have done this. More frequent inspections seem called for.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
826 Posts
I agree with what everyone is saying ,But is it all the way around the tire, or in one spot,because it could be a bad tire too ,shifted belt.if everything else checks out.

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
1,852 Posts
Unless your rear axle is seriously messed up, that's not going to happen on the rear. Those had to have been rotated from the front. It looks like they've got a little bit of cupping so you're not rotating them enough and you need an alignment. You need to rotate every 5k miles and when you get your alignment checked make sure they adjust caster/camber to the middle of the spec even if it is green.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
You have a bit too much negative camber in the front and need an alignment. Postive camber leans the tire outward and negative outwards from perfectly strait up and down. Our camber range is from around .1 to -1.1 degrees, with a preferred setting of around -.50 degrees. The more negative over the preferred setting, the faster the inner tire edge wears. (Towards or over the positive limit and you wear the outers). Problem is that as the suspension settles or 'droops' from wear/spring-fatigue, the camber tends to shift light more negative. - One of the reasons that we need an alignment from time to time and should have the components checked for wear at the same time.

Our suspension geometry also means that adding a lift kit pushes the camber positive (to a point) and lowering pushes it negative. (Why adding either kit requires a front end alignment). By the way, taking turns tighter or at faster speeds also tends to wear the tires, but usually on the outer edges and not the inner.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just purchased the vehicle last week, but the previous owner did say that he replaced something in the front because the tires were wearing un-evenly. I'm guessing/hoping it was fixed and this is just what had happened before the fix. I'll have to keep an eye on it over the new few rotations, see if anything like this keeps up. Thanks for replies though, I never thought about this being rotated from the front.... :bonk:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
If you were closer, I'd offer to check it for you.....my Fastrax matches right up to the commercial alignment machines. I've used it check alignment, but haven't had the guts to try and manipulate the alignment plates in the driveway, although I do now have a Lisle 32510 cam to make it easier or more controlled than prying/banging the plates around.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
222 Posts
Tire defects

t could be a bad tire too ,shifted belt
Belts don't "shift". At least not since the Firestone 500's in the 70's. Could be a separation, where air is leaking into the casing structure and lifting sections of tire or under the belt edge, lifting in spots (very rare) causing the tire to wear faster above it. There is also a possibility that when a tire wears lower at certain points than others and mechanical problems have been ruled out that the tread compound was not cured or mixed evenly. "Shifted belts" are mechanic's lingo for I don't know what the he!! is wrong with your tire ......

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
26 Posts
Common wear pattern on rear tires from making turns from a stop with too much throttle. Usually the right rear tire.:dielaugh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts