Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3 Posts
Underhood fuse block meltdown - it got me too

On 11/15/2012 I replaced the HDM relay #46 on my 2002 Envoy because headlights would not come on. On 12/2/2012 i experienced the meltdown which seems to be concentrated around this relay 46. It is totally burned to a crisp. Had it towed to my regular mechanic shop which is getting to know me and my wallet all too well because of this vehicle.

Anyone have any other info on this problem?

John

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
17 Posts
I just experienced the same thing meltdown of the headlight relay taking out the fuse block. I also had replaced the headlight relay a few months ago. What was the outcome for you that had the meltdown?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I just experienced the same thing meltdown of the headlight relay taking out the fuse block. I also had replaced the headlight relay a few months ago. What was the outcome for you that had the meltdown?
Insurance replaced it. Ended up about $2k if I remember right. I'm still driving the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I fixed mine today. I was lucky there was no damage to the connectors and found a like new block complete with all fuses and relays for $125 it took longer to get the part than to replace the block. If I ever have to replace a relay again I will only use GM parts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3 Posts
Bad relay

My car shop (not a dealer shop) replaced the fuse block and connector with a used parts. On inspection the problem was definitely with the headlight driver relay I replaced a few weeks before the burnout. The bill from my mechanic was $500.

The relay I replaced was bought at a parts dist that distributes parts to most mechanic ships here in our area. But it definitely think the relay was faulty and caused this problem. In the future I will definitely go to a dealer to get replacement relays.

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 03 trailblazer and it just did the same thing. If there is not there should be a recall on this item. Deff a defect in vehicle. If it happens once ok twice we'll maybe but as many people who have posted in this thread. Then I say something stinks in Denmark.

·
Registered
2 Posts
are you referring to the "non-gm replacement relay" that it appears people are using?
Your probably referring to the post above mine, but I have not replace a relay as of yet. Have to replace the whole fuse block and who knows what else. I'm going to call gm about this problem will post there response.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
1 Posts
2004 GMC Envoy - Headlight Relay Melted

Your probably referring to the post above mine, but I have not replace a relay as of yet. Have to replace the whole fuse block and who knows what else. I'm going to call gm about this problem will post there response.

Did you have a chance to call GM regarding this problem? If so, do you mind sharing what they said??

Thank you

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
1 Posts
Looking for a harness 2002 LTZ

I have a harness from a 2004 I got with my engine swap.....but if your ins covers it...thats great.....intersting since my headlights sometimes dont want to turn on till I restart the car
You wouldn't happen to still have the harness?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
2003 Trailblazer

My HDM relay (#46) melted as well, completely fried. I bought this vehicle in January 2013 and the HDM relay looks like the original, but I can't be sure a previous owner didn't replace it. I was able to find a used fuse bock on ebay for $45, but the wire harness connector directly under #46 in somewhat melted. I think the culprit may be an exposed wire connected to the HDM relay. I have some pictures of my ordeal, including the exposed wire, but not sure how to post them in the forum. Let me know if you're interested in seeing them and I can e-mail them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here! Or so it seems

Something incredibly similar happened to my mom's 2003 Envoy, except it caught on FIRE.
She said I could have her car if I fix it lol So I am currently looking to replace whatever that is. Is that called a fuse box? The car is stationery and I havent been able to call a mechanic to come to my home and see what it is.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
8 Posts
Same Meltdown, Same location

I have fallen victim to this meltdown too. Just wondering, after you replaced the fuse box, did that solve all the problems? Did it happen again?

Thanks guys

21 - 35 of 35 Posts