Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally broke out my TB this afternoon..driving down the road and noticed a sound that sounded like a bird chirping every 30secs or so..turned down the radio to listen, and it does it all the time..doesnt matter if im on the gas or off..its def under the hood and it seems like a pulley to me..but i dont here it when i stop and pop the hood..gotta be driving..anyone with any idea would help..as always..thank you!!:hopeless

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
Some odd squeaks have been traced to the hood bump stops. Give them a shot of WD40 or change their height and see if the noise changes. Could also be anti-sway bar bushings, end links, or control arm bushings.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,834 Posts
Some odd squeaks have been traced to the hood bump stops. Give them a shot of WD40 or change their height and see if the noise changes. Could also be anti-sway bar bushings, end links, or control arm bushings.
Hey Roadie, years ago we used to use some stuff called "Rubber Lube" and I have looked for it and have had no luck, any Ideas? It is ideal for this kind of thing. WD-40 tends to eat the rubber and rubber lube did not.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK thank you..the pulleys didnt make sense why they wouldnt do it while parked with the hood up, so i kinda ruled them and the belt out..afraid it is something more serious...but ill check into the stuff listed..with some talk about early transmission failure, honestly thats what i had in my hea..what if its something going bad in it..thanks for the help

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
25 Posts
under hood chirp

Mine seems to do the same thing only I haven't noticed what frequency it happens at. Is your AC running when this happens? I'm not concerned about my noise because I know its the AC compressor cycling. Every time it engages I get the chirp. It probably won't be noticable at idle as the rpm's aren't as high as driving down the road and not putting as much stress on the clutch engagement. Try turning on the AC and getting the revs up a bit while watching the compressor if possible. Mine only chirps with the AC running so that is what I have ruled it to be without further investigation.

:m2:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No...my a/c wasnt on today..matter of fact i have appointment the 15th to get my a/c heat fixed..i dont drive my TB much and have been having probs with critters building nests and storing nuts in my baby..so im not able to use a/c or heat because its blocked again..thats why i wanted to get some input on this new chirp to have it fixed next week too.. :undecided hmmm you have me wondering if maybe the fan could have been on and still engaging causing the chirp even though my vents are blocked?? i dont know..thanks though...

·
Registered
2006 chevy
2,019 Posts
I wouldn't rule out the Serpentine belt. Just had to replace mine on my TBSS. It started to squeak every once and a while. Then I started to her a Chirp at 1500 rpm. Then it was the whole RPM range over Idle. $30.00 later for a Dayco Belt, no more chirp..

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
79 Posts
Mine does the same thing. Im a Tech and have had it in the air and everything trying to find this chirping sound. The vehicle has to have the weight of the car on the wheels for the noise to happen. Im very puzzled. Every 30 seconds or so it happens.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
11 Posts
What about the fan clutch. Mine has done it for almost 2 years and seems to chirp when the fan kicks on. Would this in an indication the fan needs replacment. Mine does not do it every 30 secs though. I have had two fans replaced and my be ready for a third.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
184 Posts
I found that mine did this in the winter/spring but only when I was driving in high winds/high speed. More so when it was coming from the side of the truck??????:undecided:m2:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Little update here on my TB chirp..i drove it yesterday to see if it would do it..turns out the only way it would do it was with the air on..but since my fan speed stopped working im guessing it could be the fan clutch or something?? i found out that my extended warranty covers the clutch and everything for another 50,000 miles..so im taking er in to the shop..i read in Motor trend that a new Genesis coupe had a loud belt chirp when the ac was running..nice to see similar problems even on new stuff..thanks for everyones input.. :thx :woohoo:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
10 Posts
I know exactly what noise your talking about. It sounds like baby birds or a cricket, and doesnt really have a ryhme or reason to when it wants to chirp. I have had the same noise since I bought the car 4 years ago and havent been able to pinpoint it...until now. Just replaced my belt a week ago and havent heard the noise since. I was running a Goodyear Gatorback and replaced it with the same. If I start hearing it again I WILL let you know cause I know how perplexing it is...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.