Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i hear a rattling noise under my envoy, when i go over bumpy roads (i.e) railroad or trolley tracks or pits on the street. i have read the threads concerning front end rattling but this doesn't seem to fit my concerns. i also, for some reason unbeknown to me have lost the indicator lights on my awd/2w/4w hi/4w low switch. my envoy(03) only has 27,000 miles on it and hasn't been driven much since i bought it in Nov. of 02. any feedback on these issues would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx, sanitcapt1:bonk::bonk::bonk:

· Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,269 Posts
holy moly-- 27,000 on an 03.....
thats equivalent of me having driven my 03 for about 1 yr-- and then letting it sit undriven for the next 6......

check the heat shield on the exhaust.

· Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
8,149 Posts
For the selector switch: With the key OFF, rotate the switch back-and-forth about thirty to fifty times, to clean the contacts. This often fixes the problem.:m2: Then, with the key in the ACC position, run through the different settings and listen to see if the transfer case goes through the changes.

· Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
would this (stabilizer end-links) cause a high speed shimmy? i took it to get my wheels rebalanced for my trip and it seems to have gotten worse. the tech said that my front end was tight (and it should be) as i only have 27,000 + miles on it:duh::duh::duh::duh:

· Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
8,149 Posts
Bad sway bar end links won't cause a shimmy. Worn tie rod ends will. All lug nuts torqued to specs? Did they remove the wheels for the rebalance? If they tightened the lugs with an impact wrench they may have warped the rotors. You did say it got worse after the rebalance.:m2::undecided

· Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Bad sway bar end links won't cause a shimmy. Worn tie rod ends will. All lug nuts torqued to specs? Did they remove the wheels for the rebalance? If they tightened the lugs with an impact wrench they may have warped the rotors. You did say it got worse after the rebalance.:m2::undecided
yes it seems worse, i can't realy tell. i did i diagnostic on autozone (you know the feels like, smells like, looks like, sounds like guessing game page they have) the first answer was cv boot and the second answer was centerlink...gave that up quickly. i did inspect my ball joints and will be replacing them tommorrow with the help of the fine topics here. i also checked my sway bar links and was able to move them from side to side quite easily. i'm not sure if the fine people here at trailvoy meant left to right or up and doww. however, when i was turning them (by hand from left to right, did i say they moved easily?) i didn't notice any up/down movement. well time to boost the economy, and go out to purchase these parts. i only have two days before i hit the road to Va.:hopeless:hopeless:hopeless:suicide::suicide:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.