Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer LT
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have another failing wheel bearing. I replaced both last year with Napa's lowest cost version (Part #:VHA VBR930470, Value Line Bearings) but now I have a slight roaring sound and the Stabilitrak, Service Stabilitrak, & ABS lights are all on...can a bearing do that?...

I did the turning trick thing today and the sound almost disappears when I turn the wheel towards the passenger side on a right hand turn...so... what does that mean? I know it's about loading the bearings but which one is shot the left or right?

Napa tells me the failure is likely down to "in-correct torque procedures" but I'm not sure...

Advice? Help?

·
Super Moderator
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
320 Posts
I'll be replacing both front wheel hubs with bearings soon . I plan on installing Moog .
To many horrors told about lesser name/quality bearings .

·
Registered
2005 gmc trailblazer_ls
144 Posts
Abs light might be due to a faulty speed sensor which probably came with your new wheel bearings. It is a good idea to replace both of wheel bearings at the same time. Just make sure that you have a torque to 103lbs. Any more torque and you will damage the wheel bearings and you will have to replace them soon again. Just be careful with very cheap Chinese wheel bearings. They are very soft and many times have faulty or incorrectly positioned speed sensors.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer LT
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2005 gmc trailblazer_ls
144 Posts
I don't know WJB , but you can pick from Detroit Axle pair for about $85. They are decent quality. Don't get suckered on a Moog as many of them bought online are counterfeit parts. Genuine Moog wheel bearings are expensive and top-quality.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer LT
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've read good and bad reviews of both cheap knock offs and the high priced originals. I don't know this WJB brand myself but I like the idea of a heavy duty version. Maybe it's just words but reading the description it sounds good anyway. Reviews are decent. RockAuto has the HD type in the Standard Replacement category rather than the Economy section if that means anything.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
577 Posts
Also look at the BCA wheel hub assemblies. A very good quality product and often less expensive than SKF or Timken.

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer LT
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RockAuto has the BCA bearings close on the same price as the most popular brands. Buying them here in Canada is crazy expensive. I might have to go cheap and hope for the best.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
577 Posts
Good luck!

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer LT
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll need it!

Can anyone explain the turning trick to help determine which side is the failing bearing? How does it work exactly? The noise goes away for me when I turn right...so that's loading the right side, which means...??? Is it the driver side or the passenger side?...

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
185 Posts

If the noise goes away when you turn right, the right side bearing is probably bad. In a right turn, the left side bearing is getting loaded, so the right side unloads and the noise stops.

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer LT
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

If the noise goes away when you turn right, the right side bearing is probably bad. In a right turn, the left side bearing is getting loaded, so the right side unloads and the noise stops.
Is this the same thing?

What you are doing is loading up the bearing opposite the direction of the turn. If the noise gets worse when you turn left, then the right bearing is bad. If it stays the same, or gets less when you turn right, you have confirmed the source of the problem.
Via...

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
9 Posts
I think I have another failing wheel bearing. I replaced both last year with Napa's lowest cost version (Part #:VHA VBR930470, Value Line Bearings) but now I have a slight roaring sound and the Stabilitrak, Service Stabilitrak, & ABS lights are all on...can a bearing do that?...

I did the turning trick thing today and the sound almost disappears when I turn the wheel towards the passenger side on a right hand turn...so... what does that mean? I know it's about loading the bearings but which one is shot the left or right?

Napa tells me the failure is likely down to "in-correct torque procedures" but I'm not sure...

Advice? Help?
do you have oversized or off-set wheels? they will strain the bearings.
and, do not use the cheap ones. they are chinese and the failure rate is high. get a gm, delco, or timken one. they cost a little more but they will last.

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer LT
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, normal tires and wheels. I'm broke so cheap it is for right now. If they fail I'll do an upgrade in spring.

·
Registered
2009 gmc envoy_slt
5 Posts
In your original post you mention ABS light. If you read out code, should tell you which wheel speed sensor (left or right) is bad and that is most likely your bad hub bearing.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
2 Posts
I used Detroit Axle 513188 front wheel bearing and hub assembly from Amazon. Free shipping if you have Prime. Very well made, 30K+ miles on them, and still silent. I finally quit buying the higher end brand names. $75.00 and I think all of your problems will solved.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've bought Detroit Axle Bearings and their Brake rotors and pad sets. Haven't had any issues with them. Even used them on a Suburban.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
49 Posts
To me it just is not worth the time and effort to put low-price parts, like what was done here, on a TB. I did the front bearings on my 06 TB and used Timken units from Rock auto. Yes, they cost more, but they have held up for 9 years. Cheap bearings are cheap for one reason, they are made cheap.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts