Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! :tiphat As the newly appointed UAE Rep, I think it would be great if all UAE members could check in and identify themselves. My thought is to eventually have three or four meet-n-greet events (offroad trips, camping, mall cruises, etc.) a year at different locations throughout the UAE. It would also be great if there could be monthly coffeeklatches. :coffee So check in and let's get started on a great adventure! :grouphug:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Greetings! :tiphat As the newly appointed UAE Rep, I think it would be great if all UAE members could check in and identify themselves. My thought is to eventually have three or four meet-n-greet events (offroad trips, camping, mall cruises, etc.) a year at different locations throughout the UAE. It would also be great if there could be monthly coffeeklatches. :coffee So check in and let's get started on a great adventure! :grouphug:
Congratulations!!! I'm John from Abu Dhabi! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome Orabi! :tiphat

I'm glad you're here! Members in the GCC aren't very active. It's been difficult to get a meet or event together. There was one in KSA a couple of months ago. I've only met one other TV member in the two years I've been in UAE. I think a meet at the Emirates National Auto Museum or the Sharjah Classic Car Club would be fantastic. It would be great to meet you sometime. Do you ever get up to Dubai?

Tell us a little more about yourself and you TrailVoy interests. For example, do you take your TB offroad? What modifications have you done to the TB. Are you a expat or Emirati?

I live in Dubai, but my visa is in Abu Dhabi. Therefore, I have to have my TB registered there. It's becoming a problem. I have a custom bumper. It turns out that this isn't allowed in Abu Dhabi. However, the authorities couldn't show me the law. So, now I have to replace my original bumper to pass inspection.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ltz
17 Posts
Hello Ewing,
Sorry for late respond .. I was quite busy with financial year closing and passed by the forum accidentally to check on updates and new members ..
Yea I agree with u .. It is not a common habit to social when u r in GCC .. It is like a camp for work mostly .. u know!
I am a financial controller for a group of investment companies in Abu Dhabi .. The group basically is from Kuwait where I was living most of my life b4 I move to Abu Dhabi 4 years ago .. But I am originally from Egypt .. what about u?
Opposite your situation, my Visa is from Dubai but I am staying in Abu Dhabi where my work is :)
I've noticed the Trailblazers and Envoys when they were initially produced on 2002 .. I liked the engine's design and performance competing with V8 engines .. especially that I was driving a Buick Roadmaster 1992 at that time a 5.7L V8 .. and was loving that car!
I got my 1st trailblazer on 2003 and it was LS .. since in Kuwait they have no version except LS (either 4x2 or 4x4) and that is it .. what I did not like about the car was the poor interior.
After moving to Abu Dhabi on 2006 I got a BMW 328i 1996 as a temporary ride then I got my TB 2007 LTZ after searching the market and finding no other suitable SUV comparable to the TB within the same price range except the Cherokee Sport Limited which I was not so much happy with the design of its engine .. but I am glad that I have made the right decision especially the TB-LTZ sounded Yummi to me with its full options compared to my previous LS in Kuwait!! (I was objecting only on the facia new look .. looked some how awful!!)
Then I searched for a forum to join and I finally found TrailVoy some times in November 2007 .. here only I learnt about the SS that it exists ..
At my first accident hit my TB facia I decided to upgrade it to SS and had already placed an international order for the grill and the crossbar .. but it took long time to complete the order and have it shipped from USA .. my TB was at the agency and couldn’t wait much so that I decided to downgrade it to LTZ 2005 .. and was fine with me.
Lately, and after completing the parts, I decided to replace the facia to my old project as planned .. and here we go ..

For Abu Dhabi registration, my advise to you is only to replace the bumper temporary till u pass the registration test .. i guess u can do that with minimum effort and cost in Sharjah .. So good luck!

One last comment on the TBs with auto climate control, A/C sucks when its +40c outa there and the TB is in idle for few mins .. I did not face this with my LS while was in Kuwait.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Orabi,
My turn to apologize for a late reply. I'm halfway through recovery from triple coronary bypass and haven't been keeping up with TrailVoy or any other websites since the surgery on February 28th. I feeling much better now and decided it was time to get back to enjoying life.

Before the surgery, I was a Quality Manager for the EMAL Aluminium Smelter Project 2200MW Power Plant construction in Al Taweelah. That's halfway between Abu Dhabi & Dubai. I'm on disability now. When disability is over (end of May?) I will be getting laid off and will be looking for a new project to go to, hopefully in GCC. I'm pretty flexible, though.

As far as changing my bumper for registration, I kept the original (just in case). However, the plastic cover was in pretty bad shape. Both side brackets were broken off and the lower airfoil is missing (too much dune-bashing before installing the lift). The inspector commented that it was "pretty ugly", but I convinced him that it was the original bumper so he passed it. I put the custom bumper back on that afternoon.

Regarding the A/C, I had to replace my manual controller (long story short, the slider broke when I tried to remove the slider knob). However, the A/C has been working quite well for the last 2 1/2 years through three summers.

Welcome to TV! Let me know if you're going to be in Dubai anytime soon. I'll do the same if I go to Abu Dhabi (I was actually there last week).

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Middle East TRAILVOY!!!

Lean here from Dubai, UAE... a newbie 4X4 user. 06 Envoy SLT.
Where are you at in Dubai? Any interest in meeting for coffee or tea? I'm at JBR in the Marina area. PM me if you want to get together.

Welcome! :tiphat

There are a lot of great folks here with a wealth of knowledge and experience just waiting to share it. :grouphug: We all look forward to your contributions as well.

It’s easy to find answers to your questions. The Search Engine is accessible from several locations. Just look for the word “Search” and click on it. A box will open where you will enter your search criteria. “Search” is you friend. Know it. Use it. Love it! :thumbsup:

Have you checked out the Site Rules yet? The site rules can be found under the Resources drop-down menu at the top of any TrailVoy page. A link follows this paragraph. Site Rules provide guidelines for being a responsible participant in the TrailVoy community. :yes: I'm sure you will enjoy this site and it will serve you and your TV for a long time to come. :)
http://forums.trailvoy.com/view.php?pg=rules

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
10 Posts
EwingJK,

I hope all is well. I read in one of your post that you are still recovering from a bypass surgery. I hope you recover soon cause I think the desert misses you so much. :) But kidding aside, Its time for me to change my lifestyle specially we Filipinos loves eating carbs and meat. I am 39 years old and I still want to see my grand children in the future. :)

I work at Dubai Internet City, Shatha Tower for a Mobile Marketing Solutions company. I leave in Al Qusais 1 and been here in Dubai for almost 2 years.

Coffee or Tea is Great!:)

Trailvoy.com is really very informative and very helpful specially for an off-road beginner like me. It actually eats up my working time as well...hehehe

What I wanted to know actually if you know anyone who does suspension lifts for Envoy / trailblazer here in Dubai? I plan to order Marcs or SMAXX 2" lift kits but i wanted to know if there are local shops who sells lift kits or does customization. Any advise?

Nice bumpers, how much did it cost you?

Thanks

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
EwingJK,

Coffee or Tea is Great!:)

What I wanted to know actually if you know anyone who does suspension lifts for Envoy / trailblazer here in Dubai? I plan to order Marcs or SMAXX 2" lift kits but i wanted to know if there are local shops who sells lift kits or does customization. Any advise?

Nice bumpers, how much did it cost you?

Thanks
I'll PM you about getting together. I live in JBR. Plenty of places to meet there.

ICON 4x4 in Al Qouz Industrial built & installed the bumper (3900 AED). They also installed the McMeister Lift & Bilstein shocks (about 1000 AED). They are expensive, but if you don't have the tools & the space to do it yourself, you're at their mercy.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
10 Posts
I'll PM you about getting together. I live in JBR. Plenty of places to meet there.

ICON 4x4 in Al Qouz Industrial built & installed the bumper (3900 AED). They also installed the McMeister Lift & Bilstein shocks (about 1000 AED). They are expensive, but if you don't have the tools & the space to do it yourself, you're at their mercy.

Hi EwingJK,

Im having problems wich supplier should I order my lift kit. I have a factory rear air suspension and some are suggesting to remove the air suspenssion and replace it with Z71 spings and change shocks. How did you get you McMeister lift and Bilstein shocks?

Thanks

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ltz
31 Posts
hello dubai!!!

hi
one more,just got one tb ltz
so far so good,i´m lovin it, im a discovery gardens,i´m portuguese just arrive dubai 2 months ago,so very fresh:duh: i´ve got free time any help you guis need just call me or pm
ricardo amaro

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi EwingJK,

Im having problems wich supplier should I order my lift kit. I have a factory rear air suspension and some are suggesting to remove the air suspenssion and replace it with Z71 spings and change shocks. How did you get you McMeister lift and Bilstein shocks?

Thanks
I ordered the lift kit directly from MarkMC and the shocks from shockwarehouse.com. Both of these vendors are on TrailVoy. They were shipped directly to my work mailing address. I had to pick up the shocks at the post office in Abu Dhabi and pay a small duty.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hi
one more,just got one tb ltz
so far so good,i´m lovin it, im a discovery gardens,i´m portuguese just arrive dubai 2 months ago,so very fresh:duh: i´ve got free time any help you guis need just call me or pm
ricardo amaro
Welcome! :tiphat

There are a lot of great folks here with a wealth of knowledge and experience just waiting to share it. :grouphug: We all look forward to your contributions as well.

It’s easy to find answers to your questions. The Search Engine is accessible from several locations. Just look for the word “Search” and click on it. A box will open where you will enter your search criteria. “Search” is you friend. Know it. Use it. Love it! :thumbsup:

Have you checked out the Site Rules yet? The site rules can be found under the Resources drop-down menu at the top of any TrailVoy page. A link follows this paragraph. Site Rules provide guidelines for being a responsible participant in the TrailVoy community. :yes: I'm sure you will enjoy this site and it will serve you and your TV for a long time to come. :)
http://forums.trailvoy.com/view.php?pg=rules

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ltz
31 Posts
thanks

i´ve somme skills about mechanic back homme i´ve my garage,man i miss my tools and my space:(
so about the coffe??
my number is 0503559710
i´m not working still,so from 8.00 to 15.00 i´m free to help or chat
hall the best
ricardo:tiphat

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
10 Posts
I ordered the lift kit directly from MarkMC and the shocks from shockwarehouse.com. Both of these vendors are on TrailVoy. They were shipped directly to my work mailing address. I had to pick up the shocks at the post office in Abu Dhabi and pay a small duty.
Thanks EwingJK.

I will confirm my order with MarkMC plus additional spacers and look for shocks as well.

Where did you have your bashplates made?

add me in:

YM - leanr , SKYPE - lean0810, BBM - 210820B9

thanks.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
8 Posts
Not in the UAE but based in KSA. 07 Trailblazer, no mods or anything yet. UAE is but a 12 hour drive so any weekend events happening then I could well be interested.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks EwingJK.

I will confirm my order with MarkMC plus additional spacers and look for shocks as well.

Where did you have your bashplates made?

add me in:

YM - leanr , SKYPE - lean0810, BBM - 210820B9

thanks.
The Oil Skid Plate came from BartonMD, a TrailVoy vendor. Send him a PM. The shipping to Abu Dhabi was US$64.

I did the design of the radiator skid plate (with input from James Downing). The plate was fabricated locally by a large fabrication shop. However, it was a personal favor by a friend. They don't normally do one-off fabrication. You could probably have it made by Icon 4x4 or any of the other mod shops.

By the way, responsible offroaders don't actually call them bash plates. The object isn't to deliberately smash your vehicle. Skids plates protect your vital components during those situations when you can't avoid or go around obstacles hindering your progress.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay. Show of hands (sort of). Who is interested in getting together for a few hours. I suggest the beach parking lot at JBR. Time and date is open to discussion. Keep in mind that the temperature is warming up. Midday can be somewhat uncomfortable outside. However, there are plenty of coffee shops and restaurants on the JBR Walk. Also, Fridays and Saturdays can get pretty crowded with beach-goers. Late-morning parking can get hectic. Weekdays the place is practically empty.

So, if you're interested, add your name to the list. Tell us the day of the week and time of day (e.g., morning, late afternoon, early evening, etc.) that works for you and any suggestions you might have about a meeting location.

1 - EwingJK - Any Time - Any Day

1 - 20 of 35 Posts