Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 GMC Envoy and lately, there's been a weird issue with my left turn indicator function.

If I push down the switch, the signal will occasionally flash briefly (for 0.5 second) and then abruptly turn off. Right turn signal works fine and has never had any problems. This happens irregularly, but I've noticed it's been much more frequent recently and seems to persist when I'm driving my car for the first time in a while. Over time, the functionality seems to get slightly better - but the problem can occur at any time.

If I push the hazard lights, then only the right turn signal flashes. Again, this is an occasional issue, as sometimes both of the lights will flash properly. At this point, I think I've ruled it out as a bulb/fuse issue because the lights always flash when locking/unlocking my doors.

At this point, I've basically narrowed it down to either the flasher relay module or the turn switch itself. Is there any way to diagnose which one it is without taking everything apart? All other functions on the switch work - so I'm inclined to think it may be the flasher relay - but I'd rather not replace if the switch is the real problem.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,469 Posts
Don't rule out the turn signal bulbs because they do not turn on when locking/unlocking doors, those are the parking lights.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't rule out the turn signal bulbs because they do not turn on when locking/unlocking doors, those are the parking lights.
Ah - I thought they were the same bulb :p Woops. Either way, I doubt it's a bulb issue because I can occasionally get the indicator lights to work.

I have a feeling that it's the flasher relay - but I want to know for sure before I order a new one.

·
Registered
2006 saab 9_7x
450 Posts
If you try a new bulb, you'll know it's not the bulb if it doesn't work. Cheaper and faster diagnostic. Could also be the socket or bad ground.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah - I think I may just run a quick test by swapping out the left/right bulbs. I honestly think it is the relay module as I've been reading around and it seems that it is unlikely that all 4 lights (front, side mirror, dash, and rear indicators) would stop working due to a bulb issue.

Is there a way to check for bad grounds? More importantly, would a bad ground stop all the lights from working?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2006 saab 9_7x
450 Posts
Ah! New information. Being as how 4 lights don't work, I'm inclined to agree with the flasher module being bad.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah! New information. Being as how 4 lights don't work, I'm inclined to agree with the flasher module being bad.
Do you know of any other potential problems that would cause the entire left side indicators to stop working?

I've read around about bad grounds or what not - but it seems that would be localized to a specific light (either the front or rear bulbs). Unlikely that all of them would go bad due to one bad ground.

Also, the reason I think I can rule out the switch is because both the hazard and left turn switch depressions cause the issue. I believe (and I may be wrong) that these are individual switches and so I doubt that they would both be bad (and then only for the left-side indicators).

Does anyone know if there are wiring diagrams/schematics that tell you what the flasher relay pins connect to? I tried testing the flasher relay harness with a multimeter but without a diagram it is like blindly poking wires and scratching your head at the readings... :confused:

Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, so I ended up buying a new relay and installing it. Seems to have fixed the problem :)

For anyone who is curious - it is an ACDelco 15231201 GM Original Equipment Hazard Warning and Turn Signal Flasher.

$60 CAD for a literally a 2 minute fix.

Thanks for everyone's help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts