Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Well, I guess I can't say I get lucky all the time. After avoiding a large branch that could have done some damage, on my way home from SC on I95, I got into a "fender bender". It was my first accident and I've been driving for 4 years. Traffic was kinda tight in a workzone, we're all going about 50, one guy up front slammed on the brakes, I did too, came VERY close to hitting the Silverado in front of me, but stopped a few feet away. The PT Cruiser behind me didn't get the memo.
No air bags were deployed...

Silverado:

TB:
Front:

Rear:

I don't have any pictures of the PT Cruiser, but just imagine what this did to it:

The PT's radiator spilled out everywhere, the hood crushed to the cowl and the engine would no longer start. The man driving it said he had bent the steering wheel over on itself upon impact.

The PT had an older man and woman, the man got right out and came to check on me and the guy in front. The woman said the seatbelt caused her some pain, EMT came and so on. I don't think anyone was really hurt, my neck is a bit sore from the double impact, I might go to the infirmary tomorrow if it gets worse.

The TB runs fine, it's pretty much all cosmetic. I hope the off center trailer hitch impact didn't twist the frame at all. I'll probably head to the dealer in the next day to get an estimate on repairs. To me it looks like I'll need a new bumper (front and rear), grille/crossbar assembly, bumper supports, header panel, headlights and resonator, maybe the liftgate's dent can be popped/repainted. If insurance lands me a check, I might look into getting the SS conversion and replacing the resonator with a pipe and tip. Maybe some good can come out of it, but I will be MORE than happy to have the TB repaired the way it was before.

However, this might be an issue:
All three of us are Florida (no fault state) drivers, but the accident happened in Georgia. I don't have comprehensive coverage, just PIP and Property Damage. Does anyone know how this works? I'm about to call the ins company to make the claim now and get this moving. The family's consensus is that I'll have to file a suit to get the PT guy's insurance to pay for the repair... What a headcache.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ltz
266 Posts
thanks god that you ok.. and every one else,

and double impact. is too much

good things that it is end up like this,,

hope u get it fix sooon

inform us with the update,,,

nice to have you back

take care next time

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
However, this might be an issue:
All three of us are Florida (no fault state) drivers, but the accident happened in Georgia. I don't have comprehensive coverage, just PIP and Property Damage. Does anyone know how this works? I'm about to call the ins company to make the claim now and get this moving. The family's consensus is that I'll have to file a suit to get the PT guy's insurance to pay for the repair... What a headcache.
The person who hit you in the rear is at fault, and you should report to your insurance company the details, plus the police report which shows that.

Your insurance company may have to pay the up front repair costs, but then they will go after the insurance of the PT. Yes, I know about the "no fault" thing you mentioned, but here in NY it's the same.

In the end, the PT's insurance will have to pay the bills for you and the Silverado.....they reimburse your insurance company.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your words, guys. I filed the claim and my ins company said I had to file the claim with the PT's company. So I need to get the info from the GSP. It sucks that it happened in Georgia.

Would I be the first with a Pewter metallic SS clone? It's an entertaining idea, but I would be 100% happy and satisfied to have my TB the way it was. Been stretching my neck out all day, seems to be alright. I don't see myself going after the guy for pain and suffering or anything like that. I'm gonna try and go to the gym tomorrow and see what kind of shape I'm really in.

After all is said and done, I'll get the TB fixed and go the extra mile and have everything else looked at/checked. At 96k, the '02 TB is getting to that age where certain things need to be changed (suspension, brakes, fluids, plugs, etc). Might just go to town and have it all checked. I just REALLY hope there's no frame damage.

Thanks again, guys. Be safe out there.

EDIT: Just calculated some of my travel stats. Highest highway mileage since June when I started recording all mileage/travel info. 21.919mpg. My past 4 fill ups since getting the PCMforless tune have all been increasingly higher. Just thought I'd add something positive.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Years ago, my father-in-law was in the middle of a sandwich like yours. He also had stopped in time. The third car who hit him claimed he (the third car) HAD STOPPED IN TIME. And that my father-in-law had backed up to hit him in the front!

The judge said - Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

The report from the first person in the line may be important. Great news nobody rolled over or was seriously hurt.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Seems to me that the person in the rear would be at fault, no matter what...

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
You don't need to go after the guy for pain and suffering. However sometimes it takes a while for medical problems to show up. Also if the guys insurance company baulks at paying for your TB you can play the pain and suffering card. Not to cheat the, just to get your TB fixed.:m2:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Years ago, my father-in-law was in the middle of a sandwich like yours. He also had stopped in time. The third car who hit him claimed he (the third car) HAD STOPPED IN TIME. And that my father-in-law had backed up to hit him in the front!

The judge said - Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

The report from the first person in the line may be important. Great news nobody rolled over or was seriously hurt.
I said a similar thing to my mom, I said, "The pictures show the evidence, I OBVIOUSLY didn't rev my engine up and plow into the PT cruiser's grill in reverse, ON THE HIGHWAY!" lol But it didn't seem like anyone was pointing fingers, the other drivers seemed honest. The guy in front said he heard my tires screech, looked in his rearview saw me get hit into him. So if it comes down to his word, I should be covered. The guy that hit me came up to me before any LEO showed up and said he saw me slowing down and didn't notice I was stopped til it was too late...

I was nervous at first because the other drivers had gotten out of their vehicles first and they looked older and I was like, "Oh man, I know this isn't my fault but I feel the 'young inexperienced driver' angle being brewed up." Thankfully not.

Did I mention this happened on a bridge? Good thing there were no rollovers.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
24 Posts
wow that sucks...just think of it this way, you could get aftermarket stuff now if you wanted too. Just tell the bodyshop what bumpers, grills, headlights, taillights what ever got damaged you can replace it with aftermarked.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update

I've noticed several things acting funny since the accident. Brakes are real soft (like the pads are toast), there's a rattle behind my steering wheel (the control module for my alarm may have been shaken out of place since there was no where to put it but rest it in the steering column sheath), and there's a gurgle coming from the exhaust at idle and low RPMs. Thankfully no alignment issues yet, so there may not have been frame damage. My rear suspension seems to be squeaking a LOT more now during body roll.

-Went to dealership body shop for an estimate, the rep there said that regardless of other estimates, the insurance adjuster will make their own estimate and that the dealership would honor it. THEN, if the dealership goes to make the repairs and finds other accident-related issues, they would invoice the insurance company for those costs, as well... You're telling me that the stealership has my back? Sounds a bit good to be true.
What do you guys think?

The rep took a look at the damage and said they wouldn't fix the exhaust, but replace it entirely, OR cut the resonator (when the pipe is bent) and replace it with a pipe. Also said that the bumper reinforcement bars (front and rear) were likely damaged and need to be replaced.

I reported the claim with the driver's insurance company and their rep told me they haven't determined liability, as they haven't received the police report yet, but the driver had claimed already. The rep set me up with an adjuster on Thursday morning. So hopefully things will be moving shortly.

I'm making a list of damages that are visible without removing anything, to go over with the adjuster.
Rear:
Bumper cover
Step pads
bumper reinforcement bar
rear hatch
possibly rear quarter fender
exhaust pipe

Front:
bumper cover
bumper reinforcement bar
grille/crossbar
headlights
header panel
possibly wheel well panels

As for my back/neck, still a bit tight, but it seems muscular; no pinched nerves or pain during motion. My chest/upper back/arms feel like they just got fried at the gym, nothing I'm unfamiliar with. So I think I'm physically okay. Only thing that's getting me is almost everytime I close my eyes I feel like my body is being thrown back and forth as it was in the accident, even if I'm just laying down.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
303 Posts
-Went to dealership body shop for an estimate, the rep there said that regardless of other estimates, the insurance adjuster will make their own estimate and that the dealership would honor it. THEN, if the dealership goes to make the repairs and finds other accident-related issues, they would invoice the insurance company for those costs, as well... You're telling me that the stealership has my back? Sounds a bit good to be true.
What do you guys think?
Well they do it this way because they want you to have the freedom to take it anywhere you want. If you wanted to cash out you would have to take the adjusters price then head to the bank. Then you could fix the important things (like headlights) and then pocket the rest. I don't think that is what you are looking for as you said you wanted it back the way it was. But it might be easier to do the SS conversion with a check rather than through the insurance. You may be able to talk to the dealer about the SS conversion then you would have to pay the difference from OEM to the SS parts.

It is not the dealer that has your back, it is more of the insurance will pay the bill according to what the dealer says is wrong. So if you take it to a quality place the more that they will replace everything that needs to be done. I would demand new brakes and such too, doesn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
......I filed the claim and my ins company said I had to file the claim with the PT's company. .
All in all, the most important thing is that you're ok.

As for what your insurance company said about YOU having to file w/ the other company....I've never heard of that before. That's what you pay YOUR insurance company for.....to do this stuff.

Maybe things are different where you live, but if it is, I think that s**ks!:hissy:

·
Registered
2005 saab envoy_sle_xl
286 Posts
Man, thats no good. I hope you get it all figured out.

As for the pain, when i rearended the lady, i had some pain to. It went away after a couple days though.

Get well soon!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Liability has still not yet been determined, as the driver of the Silverado still hasn't reported to the insurance company. I saw the adjuster this morning and she estimated about $3000 in damage.

Funny thing about the report, which I didn't notice until I got home was that she wrote down my paint color/code as "Sandalwood Pearl Metallic" 711J/68 (from door jamb) as opposed to "Pewter Metallic" 382E (from glovebox)... Weird, huh? Either way I'd have the dealer verify it before they painted anything.

I don't know if I'll be able to swing the SS conversion right now, but she credited me $325 for the rear bumper cover, plus ~$100 for all 3 step pads. I might try to swing the 05+ LT rear bumper.

Before anything gets done, I might try to find some deals on some of the parts.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,077 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. Just saw your thread today. I have not been on trailvoy too much this last month. Hope the insurance treats you right and you get your truck repaired soon. Palm Chevrolet has a decent body shop and saw good results from my brother's car who had some collision work there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ouch. :( Hope it all works out for you.

On another note, Florida insurance is a pain to deal with. I was living in Orlando until June, but with California tags and insurance on my own car. I was riding in my friend's car and was in the middle of an accident just like yours, except her two month old 08 Mustang was totaled. Her insurance denied my medical claim because of Florida's no-fault law, yet paid for another friend who was riding with us. My liability insurance had to cover me, but I kept having to explain Florida insurance law to the reps, and they went on to send a letter to my friend saying they hadn't received any of her bills and to submit them. They finally paid, but I think they're still confused. :weird:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts