Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm towing a TT that weighs 3800lbs UVW. So loaded with passengers I'm probably pushing 5000lbs. My vehicle is the 2006 Envoy I6 3.42 4x4 so my tow rating is 5200lbs. The ride is fairly smooth. I could probably uses a bit more tongue weight from the gentle bounce. I'm not entirely happy with the power from my Trailvoy. Beaking is fine as I have electric breaks on the TT. I was wondering if a PCMForLess tune would help much in the power department and what effects it would have on my every day mileage. I've heard a tune will make a 3.42 axle ratio feel more like a 3.72. Has anyone had this mod done on a similar vehicle? What is your experience?

thanks,

Rob

· Northwest Chapter
11,917 Posts
Do it, honestly the only reason to not get a tune is in the event your trans fails or you've been having engine issues GM will void your warranty. But for the majority of people its worth the "risk" (honestly your trans will probably last longer than stock) plus the power bump is nice along with a mpg or 2. Your biggest issue is you gear ratio is the worst for towing, Bill (Blazernut) says his 03 3.42 compared to his uncle (I think, well some family members) 05 4.10s is night and day, 3 of the TBs Ive tuned are 3.42s and they are definitely a dog off the line compared to my 3.73s. I want to ride in a tuned I6 with 4.10s, that'd be pretty sweet. And the SS isnt really that great of a comparo with its huge engine, but it pulls really hard off the line with 4.10s and tows like a dream compared to my I6. Hardly ever downshifts towing 3500-4000lbs boats and holds 4th no problems (not going to do it very much until I get a trans cooler in there though).

· Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,547 Posts
I had a boat that weighed in around 4000 lbs. My 2003 TB I-6 3.42 did an ok job of pulling it. When I got my 2007 TB I-6 3.42, I got a tune on it. What a world of difference it made. The only other mod I have on the 2007 is a CAI.

· Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
33 Posts
Towing with a tune

I have a 2008 TB with the 4.2 engine and a 3.73 rear gear.

I've towed without and then with a PCMforless tune and the difference is significant. The trans doesn't "hunt" around at the slightest hill, power is noticable, and mileage went up.

As for the warranty, on the 2008 the add-on tune is a simple download from a laptop. I had the shop that did mine retain the stock tune, so any time I need to take the car in for warranty work, I will just return it to stock.

For the record, I'm towing a 2200 lb "low hauler" motorcycle trailer with a 1500 lb. kit car inside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.