Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 olds bravada
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if the GM P/N 11569841 Main Bearing Cap Bolt (for 2003 Bravada AWD, 2.4 I6 Vortec) is still a TTY bolt equivalent to the original installed? New bolt has no 'built-in washer', has longer threads (2.125" vs 1.550" on old), similar Ø 0.354" body, but now Ø0.387 under the head, same basic length but no duel ribs on the shank - I ordered and confirmed correct P/N number with parts manager and one of the mechanics from local dealership, but database showed no flags that this bolt had been superceded... looks like a normal bolt, not a TTY with locally smaller Ø0.335" between the two ribs about 1/2 inch below the head. The connecting rod bolts #12552947 were an identical TTY replacement unlike these main bearing cap bolts that look different than the orginal... would like a sanity check on the P/N and torque spec (Initial 18 ft-lb, then add'l 180 degrees) prior to closing up the bottom end. Much appreciated for the Forum and the online expertise.... Bravadadriver.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,339 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

No answer doesn't mean you're being ignored!

I don't know the answer. I probably would have just used the new ones without thinking of your question. But now that you ask, it makes sense that you'd want to know.

Did you put it together?

·
Registered
2003 olds bravada
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buttoned up today... Went back to dealership to confirm P/N, assured was correct!. Initially torqued all 14 bolts to 18 ft-lbs (starting from center and alternately working outwards towards the frt and bk). Took a paint marker and made hash marks on the bolt heads and carriage frame (ladder that sits ontop of the main caps). Torqued in 4 steps (45 degrees) while monitoring the applied torque until 180 degrees was achieved (between 50 and 60 ft-lbs final torque, seems plausible). Bolts still seem soft - at final torque setting, takes about 5 degrees extra travel, head will then spring back to 180 degrees. Engine still in Bradava, #3 and #4 con rod bearings were spun. Love the vehicle and AWD here in the winter, but the Vortec has been troublesome last couple years. Isn't abused, oil normally changed when at 20% indicator, but will start changing at 3K regardless.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Glad you got it figured out, I saw this thread but didnt have a clue so I was hoping for a successful outcome!

As for 3k oil changes, not needed. Run a full synthetic oil like Mobil 1, Amsoil, or Royal Purple instead and stick with the 6-8k oil changes. I usually go 8-12k on my 02, the SS will get it more like every 6-8k. My I6 has 119,8xx on it and never burns a drop of oil and runs like a champ. And I didnt use to drive it nicely, I still rev it to 6500rpms on occasion if I feel like getting on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.