Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife's RWD TBSS lease is up in 6 months, so I'm planning on a replacement. I'd like to get another GMT360, since they seems to be reliable (for the most part) and are cheap. We don't want to spend more than $13-14k.

Question:

Do the Buick Ranier and Oldsmobile Bravada have the same AWD system? From what I understand, it's 100% RWD until the rear tires slip, then the both front wheels engage? Is that right?

This system is different from the TBSS AWD right?

How does the Envoy/TrailBlazer 4x4 work? Do both rear tires have power, then in in 4 high do both front tires have power?

Does the A4WD work well in the Envoy? Let's say the roads were snow/ice packed, would you flip the switch in 4Hi or A4WD?

We live in an area that gets quite a bit of snow and the wife has some steep, dirt roads to travel on for work. Blizzaks on the RWD TBSS have worked for the most part, but it's time for a 4x4/AWD truck for her.

My car is a Dodge Magnum AWD R/T, which gives 62% of the power to the rear wheels and 38% to the front. I really wish the GMT360's had full-time AWD to the four tires, since I think this is better for all conditions.

THANKS!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
You have done a great job researching! Congrats! The SS has a Torsen transfer case (center differential they call it actually), quite different from the ones in the other vehicles. The Buick and Olds are indeed full time AWD, but not the same as the Dodge and Subaru and others. The transfer cases clutches are kept in a ready position, and if the control module detects slippage, commands them to engage and send more torque forwards. But this sometimes comes with a lurch and if you're on slippery surfaces, the lurch can break a tire loose even more and start a slide.

I much prefer the locked 4HI mode if I'm on 100% slippery surfaces. Just don't use it on partial pavement.

The other great advantage of the Chevy/Envoy system is that you have an A4WD mode that emulates the Buick/Olds if you want, PLUS a 2.7-to-1 low range for stump pulling and helping other lesser vehicles out of the ditch. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
713 Posts
cant go wrong with the 4x4 on these trucks, im pleased with the handling and reliability through these michigan winters. not sure how different it drives compared to the awd of the SS, but it seems to be more than acceptable. good luck finding a new ride. too bad you werent closer, i drove by a dealer yesterday with 8 TB's. 3 of them are SS's... too bad im a broke college guy :bonk:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick feedback.

If you are in 4Hi, do all 4 tires have power? When in A4WD, do all 4 tires get power when needed? Or is that only with the G80 diff? Seems pointless if only one tire up front has power, since that might not be the tire that is stuck.

While I would love an AWD TBSS, I just don't trust the drivetrain. I've read enough posts about transmissions/diff breaking. I don't even trust ours, but I think being at 8500' with a 25% power loss probably helps a bit (car makes about 320hp in our thin air). Plus you can get a fully loaded Envoy SLT for under $14k.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
713 Posts
all 4 have power in 4HI for sure, not certain about the distribution though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts