Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm raged..

Well guess what the **** happened to me.

Drove up to Green bay yesterday to pickup my new car (2006 Trailblazer SS) .. 10 minutes before we get there, my car decides to **** up. "Reduced engine power" wont go over 20-30mph, slept in the car overnight at a rest stop. Went to a GM dealer today (took about 1 hour to get there, only 10 miles away) stayed there for a few hours.. couldn't figure it out.

We were driving back home going 20-30mph, finally we meet up with our tow truck.

Just got back home, and i'm raged.

I don't think god wants me to get that car.

Any ideas on what happened? How can we fix it?

Only thing we did was take out the HO alt, and swapped batteries, and when we went to go start the car, both my low beam headlights were blown.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
Hard to believe the dealer couldn't find the TPP sensor code in memory. Anyway, a failure of one of the two redundant sensors is cause for the REP limp-home mode, since GM never wanted the drive-by-wire vehicle to be in a position that a single failure could result in a WOT condition. Rarely, depending on the code, the fault could actually be in the harness or the internals of the fan clutch. Is your 2002 fan clutch the original, or did you ever replace it over the years?

On the low beam issue - are you certain the bulbs are burned out? It could be a simple failure of the DRL relay module or a fuse. You could swap as an experiment with the identical fan relay module (both black) next door to it.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hard to believe the dealer couldn't find the TPP sensor code in memory. Anyway, a failure of one of the two redundant sensors is cause for the REP limp-home mode, since GM never wanted the drive-by-wire vehicle to be in a position that a single failure could result in a WOT condition. Rarely, depending on the code, the fault could actually be in the harness or the internals of the fan clutch. Is your 2002 fan clutch the original, or did you ever replace it over the years?

On the low beam issue - are you certain the bulbs are burned out? It could be a simple failure of the DRL relay module or a fuse. You could swap as an experiment with the identical fan relay module (both black) next door to it.
Pretty sure its original.

Yes they're burned, I replaced them and they work fine.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I want to know what could have caused it, and if its the sensor for sure.

We hooked it up to a snap on computer, and it says throttle position sensor, so I'm assuming that's it..?

GM dealer said it could be the computer OR the sensor.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
It could be the computer, or the sensor, or the wiring between the two of them. Impossible to tell without shotgunning, or extensive harness tracing, or swapping parts with a buddy.

Statistically, it's the sensor.

This advice is worth exactly what you paid for it, no more and no less. :laugh:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, the guy wanted the car running.

I re-installed all my audio yesterday which took about 5-6 hours total..

Tuesday i'm going to have it fixed, and call the guy to see if hes still interested, if not i'll move on. People keep telling me that car is bad luck, everything we tried to do went bad, even our tow truck guys car ****ed up (over heated).

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
26 Posts
Please post the exact code that the Snap-On computer found...

Should be a "P" followed by four digits.

Assuming its the code for the TPS, they cost about 75 bucks at O'Reilys. The ECU would be much more expensive. I would replace the TPS first.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
267 Posts
Mine went into limp mode after jumpstarting from 1.2V or so (battery nearly dead) some time ago.

I drove for a while, restarted the engine and it worked fine. I did get a crank sensor issue (somebody here later said that if the battery goes below 5V the crank sensor loses its setting).

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
26 Posts
First, just for giggles, I would disconnect the negative battery terminal for a half-hour, then reconnect it. That should clear the codes. Start the vehicle and see if the symptoms come back.

Code P1515 means, "Control Module Throttle Actuation Position Performance". Sounds bad, but it's not too terrible.

I did a search for this code on the internet, and I found somebody who said it better than I can:

"that is the code for the tps. the throttle position sensor is reading differnt than actual throttle position. i would replace the sensor and it should fix the problem."

The guy who said it is a Chevy mechanic with 13 years experience.

I would replace the throttle position sensor (TPS) if the symptoms come back after disconnecting/reconnecting the battery.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm raged..

Well guess what the **** happened to me.

Drove up to Green bay yesterday to pickup my new car (2006 Trailblazer SS) .. 10 minutes before we get there, my car decides to **** up. "Reduced engine power" wont go over 20-30mph, slept in the car overnight at a rest stop. Went to a GM dealer today (took about 1 hour to get there, only 10 miles away) stayed there for a few hours.. couldn't figure it out.

We were driving back home going 20-30mph, finally we meet up with our tow truck.

Just got back home, and i'm raged.

I don't think god wants me to get that car.

Any ideas on what happened? How can we fix it?

Only thing we did was take out the HO alt, and swapped batteries, and when we went to go start the car, both my low beam headlights were blown.
Check your electric cooling fan clutch. I just found out that the fan clutch caused limp mode (REP LIGHT) REDUCING ENGINE POWER DOWN TO 20 MPH.. AND OVERHEATING. BUT IT DIDN'T SHOW IT OVERHEATING ON MY INSTRUMENT CLUSTER. I HAVE AN 2002 CHEVY TRAILBLAZER .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.