Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please bear with me this is my first post....

Have 2006 TB SS 6.0 L (Just making sure info is stated :) )

The issue started while my wife was driving around town. She was on the highway driving about 50 MPH. The truck promptly died without warning. ( no rough engine performance )

The truck would turn over but quicker than normal like it didn't have spark. Let the truck sit at the location for 30 - 45 Mins. On star stated an Evap error , engine and transmission issues requiring service immediately.

After the truck sat for time period stated above it did start. The MIL was lit but we were able to drive the truck home (5miles). When I looked the DIC it did not state reduced power.

- pulled codes :

Active codes:
P0443, P1516,P1682,P2101

Pending Codes:
P0102,P0443,P1516,P1682 and P2101

-Replaced the Fuel pump relay.
-Replaced iginition lock cylinder
- checked battery connections ( battery 4-6 months old - Gold series Autozone)
- Removed battery terminals ( Both) during repairs and surfaces are clean
- Connected battery terminals - Confirmed they are tight.
-reseated gas cap

After replacing items above I started the truck and the truck ran smooth at start up and the MIL was out (I cleared the codes). The truck ran smooth and as expected for 5 -7 mins then cut off again in the same condition as stated above.

Let truck sit 30 - 45 mins and pulled DTC's again.

Active codes:
P1682
P0689
P0443
P2176

Can someone please advise me what to do next?

I'm going to check Throttle body wires now ( for opens) and clean the butterfly assembly now.

Please,please help me move Casper out of my SS the wife is taking over my new truck. :undecided

Thanks
Jimmy

·
Registered
chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just finished cleaning the TB assembly, it was a little dirty.
The wire connection to the throttle body looks like a nicked yellow wire. Waiting for my wife to bring my meter home to test.

Any and all ideas /information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Updates -any ideas would be great

I have pressured tested the fuel system - 58 to 60 PSI at idle and with the key turned on - no engine

Found that after the truck gets warm it shuts down and loses all spark to the coils.

Po1516 -error code if any at all

Probed all fuses with and without engine all pull 13.75 that should

Probed TB connector 5.0 V is present as well as 2- 12v readings

Could this be a heat soaked crank sensor or a ICM (iginition control module) ?

Anyone have some ideas?

·
Registered
chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Changed iginition switch - still no help Can someone help me please

Just changed the Igintion switch and truck idles smooth and reports no codes Then out of no where it shuts down check engine light and reduced indicator come on and I get a 1516

Any ideas? Please I'm at my whits ends

·
Registered
gmc envoy_denali_xl
3 Posts
Just changed the Igintion switch and truck idles smooth and reports no codes Then out of no where it shuts down check engine light and reduced indicator come on and I get a 1516

Ours started doing the same thing. We took it into Dossett GMC in Hattiesburg, MS to get the fuel gauge sensor replaced. They said they saw "moisture" and I had to have a new gas tank. Did that and now the engine shuts down while driving. We were on a major highway when it first happened. We now have a new Mass Airflow sensor, ignition switch, fuel pump, fuel relay sensor, and are about to clean the throttle body unit. We've spent $1847.00 on crap we didn't need and are still without my Denali. I'm just sick. I called GMC and filed a complaint b/c none of this started until Dossett replaced the sensor and fuel tank. It was perfectly fine other than you could never tell how much gas you had in it, we used the trip measure thingy. I'm just so done. But, until we get it fixed, we can't even try to trade the damn thing in on another vehicle.... which I hate b/c I LOVE my Denali. :(

·
Registered
gmc envoy_denali_xl
3 Posts

If you've learned anything new, please let me know. We're having the same issues and we are desperate!
Codes:
P0443
P1516
P1682
P2101
P0689

:thx

·
Registered
chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JoJoBeans... I never received any support from my post but I will provide you with items that corrected the issue. I troubleshot the issue down to the PCM. I ended up OHMing out the wiring harnesses from the PCM back to the Throttle body and ignition coils and fuses in the under hood fuse block. I found a TSB for the PCM which it would be covered under the 8 YR 80.000 mile warranty. When I had the TB towed into my Chevy Stealer. They stated that they had to troubleshoot the issue again and refused to change the PCM unless they did so,

They stated a wiring hires in the steering column was show high resistance ( 700 dollars) and still no help - Trailblazer died during their test drive. They then stated it was a short in the Fuse box under the hood ( It was looser than I liked but it was tight) They replaced the Fuse box ( 450 dollars).

So to make a long story un bearable.... 1500 dollars later it was a Bad PCM but itv was shorted out either as a factory defect or the under hood fuse block was shorting out.

The Trailblazer is running fine now but if I had it do all l over again I would have changed the under hood fuse block before sending to the dealer.

My PCM was getting hot - I could feel the heat from the module but the dealer wanted their money before warrantying the PCM.

If you need wiring diagrams please send me a PM and I will find a way to get them to you.

If you have any questions please let me know... I feel knowledgeable about this issue now.
:mad::D

·
Registered
gmc envoy_denali_xl
3 Posts
JoJoBeans... I never received any support from my post but I will provide you with items that corrected the issue. I troubleshot the issue down to the PCM. I ended up OHMing out the wiring harnesses from the PCM back to the Throttle body and ignition coils and fuses in the under hood fuse block. I found a TSB for the PCM which it would be covered under the 8 YR 80.000 mile warranty. When I had the TB towed into my Chevy Stealer. They stated that they had to troubleshoot the issue again and refused to change the PCM unless they did so,

They stated a wiring hires in the steering column was show high resistance ( 700 dollars) and still no help - Trailblazer died during their test drive. They then stated it was a short in the Fuse box under the hood ( It was looser than I liked but it was tight) They replaced the Fuse box ( 450 dollars).

So to make a long story un bearable.... 1500 dollars later it was a Bad PCM but itv was shorted out either as a factory defect or the under hood fuse block was shorting out.

The Trailblazer is running fine now but if I had it do all l over again I would have changed the under hood fuse block before sending to the dealer.

My PCM was getting hot - I could feel the heat from the module but the dealer wanted their money before warrantying the PCM.

If you need wiring diagrams please send me a PM and I will find a way to get them to you.

If you have any questions please let me know... I feel knowledgeable about this issue now.
:mad::D
I'd greatly appreciate it. Not a paid member so could you please email me at gwen.bilbo at gmail.com?
Thank you so much. Much like you, we are just at the breaking point.

·
Registered
chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Response

I did both and the issue remained.

Mine had a bad ECU and a bad fuse block under the hood was bad - per the dealer

The ECU has a 8 year warranty and I think 75000 miles

Their is a service bulletin but I could only locate the year models and mine is a 2006 that fell into the group

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
9 Posts
I don't quite understand are you saying there is a service bulletin, but you couldn't go back to 2006?

Are you sure that you had a bad fuse block and that it wasn't just the dealer throwing darts?

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
1 Posts
Wanted to confirm the fuse box issue on my '06 TB

I joined the forum just to first thank kllrvet for his post detailing the issue and confirm I had the EXACT same issue in my '06 TB. I can't tell you how much time you saved me by posting that.. :thx

I ended finding some 18 guage doorbell wire for $7 and stripped it, was the exact same size as the original wire and it fit perfect. I ohm tested every circuit in the fuse box and all were .6/.7 ohms, when I hit the circuit for the power train relay (broken wire pictured above) it was a couple hundred ohms, then would go infinite and back to a couple hundred.. The TB has been running great since I fixed it last weekend..

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali_xl
1 Posts
i had the same problem in the same place. i just took a little longer to find it. thanks again for this i just soldered the spot back together and she was good as new

1 - 15 of 15 Posts