Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my family vacation to Florida and one way is 600 miles. 3rd row seats are laid down and the back is filled up with suitcases, rafts and other crap. Stopped for gas twice and figured 21.1 mpg each time. Using 87 octane and cruising 70-75mph.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
221 Posts
I don't tow anything, but if I do 90km in an 80km depending on land lay out hills and what not, I've seen about 27mpg... when I jump to about 100/110km on highway 401 main highway, I average 25-26mpg with no A/C on... Which quiet surprised considering they say these trucks only do like 20-21mpg.. I have 136K on my truck now...noticed a nice jump since doing full Mobil 1 syntec change few weeks back...

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,671 Posts
I don't tow anything, but if I do 90km in an 80km depending on land lay out hills and what not, I've seen about 27mpg... when I jump to about 100/110km on highway 401 main highway, I average 25-26mpg with no A/C on... Which quiet surprised considering they say these trucks only do like 20-21mpg.. I have 136K on my truck now...noticed a nice jump since doing full Mobil 1 syntec change few weeks back...
Are you sure you are doing your conversion numbers correctly? 27 MPG seems high for any of these vehicles at any speed.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
221 Posts
Granted I am going by the DIC, however after doing the Syntec change over best I could get was 25mpg at 90km.... now if I go from London to St Thomas it gives me 27... I thought it seemed kinda high but we did a road trip to Huntsville Ontario which is about 4 and half hours away from London, it said I was getting about 25mpg and I ended up with almost 750km to the tank.. which when doing the math manually to figure out was pretty darn close to the dic read out...the math worked out to like 24.3 mpg or something.. this was before doing the syntec change... I haven't went for a long trip since to see the difference, but I def noticed I am getting 50-75km per half tank then I was... Almost same thing as when I had my Cavalier and started running syntec...

after doing some more math lol, can the DIC be that far off of real time calculations? Hmm tempted now to take a new road trip to pay attention how accurate/not the dic is ... kinda got me wondering now..

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,671 Posts
Granted I am going by the DIC, however after doing the Syntec change over best I could get was 25mpg at 90km.... now if I go from London to St Thomas it gives me 27... I thought it seemed kinda high but we did a road trip to Huntsville Ontario which is about 4 and half hours away from London, it said I was getting about 25mpg and I ended up with almost 750km to the tank.. which when doing the math manually to figure out was pretty darn close to the dic read out...the math worked out to like 24.3 mpg or something.. this was before doing the syntec change... I haven't went for a long trip since to see the difference, but I def noticed I am getting 50-75km per half tank then I was... Almost same thing as when I had my Cavalier and started running syntec...

after doing some more math lol, can the DIC be that far off of real time calculations? Hmm tempted now to take a new road trip to pay attention how accurate/not the dic is ... kinda got me wondering now..
IDK, something just doesn't sound right. As for "Syntec" you are referring to Castrol synthetic oil? Which really isn't synthetic?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
221 Posts
IDK, something just doesn't sound right. As for "Syntec" you are referring to Castrol synthetic oil? Which really isn't synthetic?
I thought I wrote Mobil 1 in there guess not lol, now I've been using Mobil 1.. this is my first oil change with it on this truck anyway.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,269 Posts
24 MPG is more reasonable....
27- really doubt it...
Some people have found that the DIC is accurate--- others find that its off by varying degrees.
Why do I believe 24?
Cause I once took a trip where I managed something like 23.8 MPG
But this was no AC- and doing about 55 MPH with Cruise control on- and 4 people in the car-

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
221 Posts
24 MPG is more reasonable....
27- really doubt it...
Some people have found that the DIC is accurate--- others find that its off by varying degrees.
Why do I believe 24?
Cause I once took a trip where I managed something like 23.8 MPG
But this was no AC- and doing about 55 MPH with Cruise control on- and 4 people in the car-
Same idea here, no a/c 4 people as well.. I use Cruise any time I can as well, kinda tempted since it's nice out now, since i Just filled it up to drive some where to see what I really do get, I normally do 100-110 on highway, I find once I hit 120km/h it just sucks it back, I am more curious on how accurate the dic is.. when I head to my dads place which is an hour away it seems to give me about 25-26mpg at 100k/h... I mean although your correct in doubting 27mpg.. would be nice though! lol...

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
122 Posts
For some unknown reason, I always find that I get better MPG's on roadtrips when I've got four people and a fully loaded rig (including my wife and her shoes), as opposed to me and a buddy and our fishin' poles. Typically up to 23MPG or so. But never 26, that's unbelievable.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
721 Posts
Even us guys with the 5.3L can do ok. Not great, but ok. Here are some numbers from last week's trip to and from Myrtle Beach, SC. Two adults, about 400 lbs of tools and luggage, AC on all the way, 40 psi in the tires, not really driven to maximize fuel economy meaning usually drove 5-10 over the speed limit, except for the very last leg which was mostly 65. Sorry, couldn't figure out how to make the columns align:

Mileage Gallons Cost MPG Comments
Initial Fill 59642
Start 59652
Fill 1 59962 320 17.039 $44.80 18.78044 Ohio & W VA
Fill 2 60387 425 21.213 $51.10 20.03488 VA and North Carolina some 55 roads
Fill 3 60745 358 20.508 $49.81 17.45660 In and around NMB
Fill 4 61070 325 18.185 $44.90 17.87187 Leave NMB and NC, some 85 mph
Fill 5 61432 362 18.453 $50.91 19.61741 VA, WVA and begin OH
Fill 6 61512 80 3.227 $9.13 24.79083 New Philadelphia to Speedway near home (driven very gently)
End 61516
Trip 1864 1870 98.625 $250.65 18.96071 DIC said 18.7 mpg average for trip!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
****, if i got 25/26 mpg i would be happy as hell. Leaving to go back tomorrow so i will calc my mpg's again.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
221 Posts
So was thinking when I got my 27mpg, the place I was leaving is downhill to where I live, cause I noticed when I from London to ST Thomas it's 24-25... but always coming home it's 27ish... Today we took a trip to T.O and around there.. got 25 mpg to T.O.. but Coming home I got 22.6 this was doing the same speed...I put on 370km not quite used half tank, says I can do another 420ish... Goin to T.O it was working out pretty close to almost 840km per tank doing 100km/hour....

I haven't topped it back to full yet to do the math side of it, so will see how it compares to the DIC when I do that later on.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
221 Posts
So was thinking when I got my 27mpg, the place I was leaving is downhill to where I live, cause I noticed when I from London to ST Thomas it's 24-25... but always coming home it's 27ish... Today we took a trip to T.O and around there.. got 25 mpg to T.O.. but Coming home I got 22.6 this was doing the same speed...I put on 370km not quite used half tank, says I can do another 420ish... Goin to T.O it was working out pretty close to almost 840km per tank doing 100km/hour....

I haven't topped it back to full yet to do the math side of it, so will see how it compares to the DIC when I do that later on.

The dic was fairly accurate it was actually reading lower then what I go, after filling back up and going 418km used 42 litres to fill back up, worked out to 23.7mpg....I had 1 notch under half tank mark with 418.. before mobil 1 I'd get about 350-375 per half..

·
Banned
chevy
12,987 Posts
I will add my little bit of knowledge here. My truck was an LS 2wd. As light as they come. An a road trip with just my wife and luggage, 70 mph, east coast from norfolk to miami, I averaged 23 mpg. The only variable here is that it was December and I had the winter gas blend.

Then came the tune. After it was tuned I made the exact same trip. It was November. I averaged 25.7 mph. Thats the best I ever got out of it. Obviously it has to be possible to do better, but I have doubts about 27 mpg.

Of course after this I lowered it, put on some massive tires, and got a pure performance tune. MPG went to like 17 mpg after than!!!:D

·
Banned
2007 chevy
4,722 Posts
I recently took a trip by myself from Tulsa, OK to Gurnee, Illinois which was about 730 Miles away. I had toped off the TB the night before, then I filled up again while I was somewhere in Missouri and then I filled up again while I was about 15 minutes away from my hotel. I tried to fill up before there was lest than a 1/4 left. I went a little over but not by much. I had my A/C on, radio on, cell phone connected, Radar Detecter on, and GPS connected. I had 2 bags with me, laptop, and some random cleaning products and school books in the back. I had my cruise control on sometimes and I was averaging about 70-80mph. When the oppertunity was there, I would go alot faster so if I calculated everything correctly, I was averaging about 19.5-21.5 mpg which I dont think is to bad for my driving conditions.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
221 Posts
I will add my little bit of knowledge here. My truck was an LS 2wd. As light as they come. An a road trip with just my wife and luggage, 70 mph, east coast from norfolk to miami, I averaged 23 mpg. The only variable here is that it was December and I had the winter gas blend.

Then came the tune. After it was tuned I made the exact same trip. It was November. I averaged 25.7 mph. Thats the best I ever got out of it. Obviously it has to be possible to do better, but I have doubts about 27 mpg.

Of course after this I lowered it, put on some massive tires, and got a pure performance tune. MPG went to like 17 mpg after than!!!:D
When I did calculations after filling up it was pretty close to on par with what the dic said, so although I don't see 27 often, it was still giving me 8.6 litre/100 kms last time I drove to St thomes that's doing 90k on the button...of course driving on main highway doing 100-110 then it drops to average of 25...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.