Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i was wondering if anybody has traveled during the night with hid's and if it was necessary to use your brights
also what experience yall have with them
thanks

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
270 Posts
I did a 350 mile trip from Little Rock to Dallas half of which was in the dark, and they were stinkin bright. I don't have HIDs in the highs at this moment and frankly, I don't think I need them. As long as you have them aimed right. The only tip I have for ya is check the aiming on them after you get them installed.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
1,002 Posts
I have the 5000k HID low beams in my 04 EXT. I love them. They are actually as bright as my stock H beams. They are as bright or so as the HIGHs are, but the light in front of you rather than up in the air. I NEVER use my Hbeams by themselves, i feel as i LOSE light. If i ever need my Hbeams i usually hold the lever in for the moment i need it. That will keep the HIDs on and Hbeam. Also the lower the K rating the brighter the light will be, but the higher the K rating the more blue color you get. My 5000K are white with a slight hint of blue. Hope it helps

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the 5000k HID low beams in my 04 EXT. I love them. They are actually as bright as my stock H beams. They are as bright or so as the HIGHs are, but the light in front of you rather than up in the air. I NEVER use my Hbeams by themselves, i feel as i LOSE light. If i ever need my Hbeams i usually hold the lever in for the moment i need it. That will keep the HIDs on and Hbeam. Also the lower the K rating the brighter the light will be, but the higher the K rating the more blue color you get. My 5000K are white with a slight hint of blue. Hope it helps
thanks
i might go on trip from houston to mexico at night and ive been debating over 4300k or 5000k is there a big difference in light output anybody with pics on 4300k
thanks ppl

·
South Chapter
4,487 Posts
my opinion would be to go with the 6ks in your lows and do the drl killer / quad headlights......its quick and cheap.....with the quads and the HID's in the lows you will have almost daytime vision:m2::m2:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my opinion would be to go with the 6ks in your lows and do the drl killer / quad headlights......its quick and cheap.....with the quads and the HID's in the lows you will have almost daytime vision:m2::m2:
:undecided i was thinking about the same mod
thanks
ill see what i come up with

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
35 Posts
Go with 6000k you get that HID look and you can see. The higher you go the less light you visually will be able to see and the more color you get. Having to much color may look cool but you will be sadly dissapointed, especially when it rains. I love my 6k's. Allign them perfectly and you will be very happy. I also have quad beams on mine but never use it. You have to do the DRL killer mod for sure or you will blow your ballasts in no time and have flickering. :D

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,140 Posts
I did travel around 800+ miles a couple of months ago (Florida- North Carolina)

I have 10k HIDs, i never got the need to use my brights even though i encountered some heavy rain. IMHO, HIDs are all you will need :yes:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
167 Posts
I have 8k's in my low beams and 2 sets of spot light fog lights with 6k hid's. I just recently did an 1800 mile trip and one leg was driving through the night. The HID's work great and are really bright when it was dry, but when the road was completely wet, I needed to use my spot lights. Not quite sure why the light does that but like I said, when it was dry, they were great.:m2:

·
Southeast Chapter
2004 buick rainier
5,864 Posts
if your trip will be all interstate with no back road where you don't pass anybody for miles and miles the all you really need is the HID lows; i have 5000k in my fogs/lows and love that color; your OEM highs won't really make too much of a difference with the OEM lows; but i also have 4300k High HID's in mine and when i get off the interstate at 1am or so they HID's highs are great on the back GA roads:yes:

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
129 Posts
Personal opinion, take it as you will.

I had HID's in for about a week and took them back out. I will concede that they do provide a lot more light than stock, but I also found that to be a liability on country roads. The problem I had was that all of the bright light made the sides of the road much darker and harder to see. And that is where the deer hide, along with bear and the occasional moose.

One other observation I had was that the HID lows made the high beams seem very dark. But on the back country roads you want the high beams for there beam pattern and not just amount of light. The lows with HIDs do not light up as far down the road as even the stock high beams.

Just an opinion from someone who would love to have HIDs in a proper projector install. :)

Mike

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
12 Posts
HID's

Hi I'm new to the forum, question on HID's has any body had a problem with the law and or other drivers with the HID install. Having had hid's in my last SUV and going to the trailblazer is such a down grade in night time driving I'm looking for a way to improve the lights.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi I'm new to the forum, question on HID's has any body had a problem with the law and or other drivers with the HID install. Having had hid's in my last SUV and going to the trailblazer is such a down grade in night time driving I'm looking for a way to improve the lights.
well im no expert or anything
but i do recommend that if you get hid's stay under 6000k
to lower your chances of getting pulled over
you might also want to align/adjust your headlights accordingly
shining your light at other peoples faces is bad and hazardous:nono:
but if you do the above the risk of getting pulled over for obnoxious
headlights is alot lower
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
319 Posts
I like my 6000k color, haven't had any issues with the law or anything. Aiming them is key to not blinding people, but they are a heck of a lot brighter than stock as you can see below.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I havent been pulled over yet (i have my HIDs for almost 2 years now). i drove from Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina a few months ago and cops have no interest in me. :D

·
Registered
449 Posts
I've traveled across a few states, day and night driving and nada.

I'm running 6000K Lowbeams.

It was told to me by a State Trooper and I've seen it also posted here, that the
general rule cops use is holding a white sheet of paper in front of the light.
If the paper still appears white, then you're fine. If the paper appears blue,
they might do something about it.

I dont believe you would have an issue with 8000K or lower temps, but above 8000K, you might have to deal with the po-po..

Also, if questioned, make sure you mention that your kit is Dot-3 compliant.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
1,002 Posts
I had HID's in for about a week and took them back out. I will concede that they do provide a lot more light than stock, but I also found that to be a liability on country roads. The problem I had was that all of the bright light made the sides of the road much darker and harder to see. And that is where the deer hide, along with bear and the occasional moose.

One other observation I had was that the HID lows made the high beams seem very dark. But on the back country roads you want the high beams for there beam pattern and not just amount of light. The lows with HIDs do not light up as far down the road as even the stock high beams.

Just an opinion from someone who would love to have HIDs in a proper projector install. :)

Mike
have you tried running your fogs at the same time as your lows? that usually is enough for me if im on back roads at night. also you could do the quad beam mod, and that would allow the HIDS and high beam to be on at the same time. In addition, i never reaimed my low beams and its perfect, ive never had someone flash for my lows. i did get 4 cars flash me about 3/4 mile away because i was running H&L beams lol:crackup: (i forgot)

·
Southeast Chapter
2004 buick rainier
5,864 Posts

Mike
I agree with DARKASS04EXT get a set in your fogs and you will be amazed how they light up the sides of the back country roads; this is the reason i got HID's and would never go back; i also have HID's in my highs and have done the quadbeam mod so the HID lows/highs stay on at the same time; i found that before i had the quad beam mod you had a large blind spot close to the truck on the sides of the roads when just the Highs were on but with quad beam it is amazing:yes:

as far as i have seen any aftermarket HID kit is not DOT aproved they are "off-road use only" i think that most states say something like it has to come from the factory to be legal. but i have never had a problem; just make sure you have them aimed correctly so you don't blind other people and you will be good

thanks for the reply, when you use high beams do the hid's go out and who's hid system did you use.
yes; unless you do the free quad-beam mod; look under the article tap at the top of the page for a how to:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts