Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Lately when the tranny shifts between 1st and 2nd, I can hear a squeal, or something that sounds like a belt slipping. I haven't notice any roughness but the sound bothers me..

Any Idea's??

Russ

·
Registered
82 Posts
it the pully turning faster then the belt and is it slippin that all no biggie napa auto parts store has a good belt that is better the ac delco, or delphi belt.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
474 Posts
Mine does it too but its usually just when Im really gettin on it and it shifts to second at 6000ish rpm...

·
Registered
2002 gmc
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I am wondering is if I should take it in to the dealer, as my warranty runs out on Sept 12th..

Russ

·
Registered
82 Posts
yeah it should fix the problem. and that is also when i hear it is when i floor it, if you hear it and you are not flooring it then it is really time for a new belt and the dealer will replace it but they might spray this oil like stuff on the one you all ready have that **** will break the belt down quickly

·
Registered
2002 gmc
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
venom blk said:
yeah it should fix the problem. and that is also when i hear it is when i floor it, if you hear it and you are not flooring it then it is really time for a new belt and the dealer will replace it but they might spray this oil like stuff on the one you all ready have that **** will break the belt down quickly
I know this may be a dumb question, but what belt are you refering too?? Fan Belt?? Serpetine Belt??? (same thing)

Russ

·
Registered
238 Posts
Depending on mileage it could very well be the serpentine belt under the hood (I assume this is what Venom Blk was getting at). This is the 1-piece "fan belt" that drives all the engine accessories.

Around 55,000 miles my Envoy's belt started making a noisy squeal when I'd start it first thing in the morning, but it would only last 1 minute tops. Still too much for me. The belt was glazed (shiny) so I replaced that along with the automatic belt tensioner. Total cost was around $75 I think. It's been super quiet since then--it idles quieter now even when warm than it did w/ the old belt.

Check the belt under the hood for any wear, fraying, or shiny spots. Replace it if you find anything suspicious. I did the tensioner too because I had a feeling that's why my belt was glazed. I also had a tensioner lock up in my old Blazer so I thought better safe than sorry. I was able to limp home w/ the seized tensioner on the Blazer though. By sheer luck the belt held up for the 25 mi trip home, rubbing on a pulley that wasn't turning the entire time!

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
How much does a tensioner cost? I looked at my TB at 50,000mi, and it seemed fine, but I would still like to replace it if it doesnt cost that much. I have priced a replacement belt from Dayco at ~$33. So, if it costs $75, Im thinking about $42? Am I close? Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
you should not have to replace that. i like bmm354 replace mine in me old jimmy and i think it cost the same in the trailblazer but they are better in the tb so just replace the belt old sayin(if it not broke dont fix it)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts